The Breaking Bad Effect

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    pac_girl wrote: »
    thats a bit sad really. A show should be watched and enjoyed in its own right. I compared BB against Dexter as the 2 wrapped up at the same time and the decline of one was very obvious against the other.

But I've been watching Orphan Black this week and haven't compared it to BB - I don't see the point, I might compare BB against a new show that is similar maybe as a review as people do on here but I do think that people rating everything against BB are 1) setting themselves up to rarely enjoy a show again and 2) are just jumping on the bandwagon and seen to be part of the 'cool gang' as it were.

BB was excellent, and it will be rewatched and it will be praised for a long time - but these people need to move on, loads of new stuff out there. If you live in the past, you'll be unhappy missing the present :D

But you couldn't really closely compare Orphan Black and Breaking Bad if you wanted. One's a fairly big budget Sony drama, the other's a tightly budgeted Canadian sci-fi.

The same way you can't really compare the finales Breaking Bad and Lost, one had a ridiculous sci-fi premise it needed to wrap up (it never was going to please everybody), the other was a fairly plausible drama series that just needed to kill a few people and everyone would be happy. The work done to end a sci-fi series is a lot harder than a well grounded drama.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only seen the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad when it aired on 5USA. I haven't seen the remaining seasons. I knew it was a great show when i saw it for the first time from those seasons alone.

What i find funny is the people jumping on the bandwagon who have only seen BB when Netflix snapped it up and ONLY really started watching it on Netflix when the final 8 episodes were being advertised (tv, cinema, online) and the show was coming to an end. Now everyone's saying it's the best show on tv, best show they've ever seen, best finale ever, best show ever, best everything and better than anything anyone else is watching, yada yada yada.

Is that right? Where the f*ck were you when it aired on FXUK and 5USA? Piss off! :D Hate these bandwagon jumpers! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I wasn't disappointed with the ending of BB, but I thought it could have definitely been better. It didn't leave a bitter taste in my mouth like Dexter did, but it still felt kind of rushed. The episode felt very quick, as if they were just trying to finish everything off in a short amount of time, which left it feeling rushed without much content.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Theshane wrote: »
    To be honest, Lindelof deserves all he gets for that ending of Lost.
    Magic ****ing heaven for plane crash surviviors!!
    How about answering the questions of all the time travel and shit?

If we're talking sci-fi shows, a lot of people think
    the finale of "Fringe" was better than the "Lost" one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP but unfortunately there are some weird people in the world who think they have the right to abuse a writer/director simply because they don't get the ending they think they deserve/want.
    I personally have watched Breaking Bad from the very beginning and adored it straight away. For me, it NEVER faltered and it is my favourite show of all time. But i know that's just MY opinion.
    Other people say it started slowly, some even gave up on it (BIG mistake) but again, that is their opinion (and their loss).
    But I also watched Dexter, Lost, The Sopranos, The Wire from the start and would never compare them as they are all pretty different shows with different characters.
    I was disappointed with the final season of Dexter because it DID go downhill. BUT i would still say, overall it is one of my favourite ever shows. I still cried my eyes out at the end (as i did with Breaking Bad...all the way through the final episode actually :o)

My point, as i am now waffling is...we should all just enjoy each show on an individual basis. These are all great programmes written, directed and acted superbly. Being the TV addict I am, I am honoured to have watched them and no doubt will re watch many times in my life time.
    It's been emotional.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVED FRINGE! Fantastic!!!! :D
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Emotionaly, the Fringe finale ticked enough of the right boxes to satisfy many of its fans, but the scifi itself was a nonsensical dumbed down mess. And to be honest, what came out of the discussons following the finale was that many fans didn't have a clue about what happened scifi-wise, yet because they got a few simple emotionaly charged scenes they came away happy.

With Lost, there are many things people complain werent explained. They weren't spelled out, but the answers are there when you put all the pieces together, including an explaination for the time travel.
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I've only seen the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad when it aired on 5USA. I haven't seen the remaining seasons. I knew it was a great show when i saw it for the first time from those seasons alone.

What i find funny is the people jumping on the bandwagon who have only seen BB when Netflix snapped it up and ONLY really started watching it on Netflix when the final 8 episodes were being advertised (tv, cinema, online) and the show was coming to an end. Now everyone's saying it's the best show on tv, best show they've ever seen, best finale ever, best show ever, best everything and better than anything anyone else is watching, yada yada yada.

Is that right? Where the f*ck were you when it aired on FXUK and 5USA? Piss off! :D Hate these bandwagon jumpers! :rolleyes:

How dare people realise a show is good after everyone else?

People that act like you annoy me. If you really liked Breaking Bad you'd be happy other people enjoyed it as much as you, rather than bemoaning their lateness...
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How dare people realise a show is good after everyone else?

People that act like you annoy me. If you really liked Breaking Bad you'd be happy other people enjoyed it as much as you, rather than bemoaning their lateness...

I think it's great everyone's enjoying the show. I just find now that it's ended everyone is comparing everything to BB and jumping on the bandwagon. Don't remember anyone acting like this when Seasons 3 and 4 aired and finished, where was all this talk then? I'm entitled to my opinion and not the first person who has mentioned this.
    Forum Member
    I think it's great everyone's enjoying the show. I just find now that it's ended everyone is comparing everything to BB and jumping on the bandwagon. Don't remember anyone acting like this when Seasons 3 and 4 aired and finished, where was all this talk then? I'm entitled to my opinion and not the first person who has mentioned this.

It's just general hysteria, more to do with excitement because of the finale,

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to that opinion, but that kind of mentality is perhaps selfish.

I realise that comment was a bit too personal, it's just this "I used to like it, then it became popular" BS pisses me off, unless the show changed to become popular just shut up and enjoy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How could people rave about it if they hadn't seen it?? :confused:

I've always loved Malcolm In The Middle so that was what drew me towards the show in the early years. Most people I mentioned it to had never heard of it back then, because there wasn't any hype. It's not their fault they heard about it later than me and you!!

As far as I'm concerned, the more that jump on the Breaking Bad "band wagon" the better.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same way you can't really compare the finales Breaking Bad and Lost, one had a ridiculous sci-fi premise it needed to wrap up (it never was going to please everybody), the other was a fairly plausible drama series that just needed to kill a few people and everyone would be happy. The work done to end a sci-fi series is a lot harder than a well grounded drama.

I'm not so sure of that.

Look at Dexter. Like Breaking Bad, it was another "quality cable drama", one that started out acclaimed by the critics and the viewers... But unlike Breaking Bad, the consensus among critics and viewers is that it went downhill after season 4 (whereas BB remained excellent), with the series finale regarded by the majority as an absolute terrible mess.

The Sopranos... Not an extreme downfall like Dexter (where the majority agree it was awful at the end), but it did have a very "Marmite" series finale... Some loved it, some hated it.
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Emotionaly, the Fringe finale ticked enough of the right boxes to satisfy many of its fans, but the scifi itself was a nonsensical dumbed down mess. And to be honest, what came out of the discussons following the finale was that many fans didn't have a clue about what happened scifi-wise, yet because they got a few simple emotionaly charged scenes they came away happy.

With Lost, there are many things people complain werent explained. They weren't spelled out, but the answers are there when you put all the pieces together, including an explaination for the time travel.

I wasn't keen in the Fringe finale.

It did have some lovely emotional bits, but as you say it was a nonsensical mess. It also made the whole of the last season pointless, given that it was a reset-button ending.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I'm not so sure of that.

Look at Dexter. Like Breaking Bad, it was another "quality cable drama", one that started out acclaimed by the critics and the viewers... But unlike Breaking Bad, the consensus among critics and viewers is that it went downhill after season 4 (whereas BB remained excellent), with the series finale regarded by the majority as an absolute terrible mess.

The Sopranos... Not an extreme downfall like Dexter (where the majority agree it was awful at the end), but it did have a very "Marmite" series finale... Some loved it, some hated it.

Maybe it's not easier, but there is a lot more work in doing a plausible sci-fi finale that pleases a load of fusspots with little suspension of disbelief..
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't watch Fringe. I watched the first couple of episodes and wasn't struck by it.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member

I very rarely watch TV (only the news in the morning) so I would never ever had seen BB advertised or aired on TV. The only way that I knew about this show is via Netflix last year. Makes me laugh how some folks who watched from day one feel somehow superior over others who only discovered the show later. :rolleyes: You'd think people would be happy about the shows success. I personally have raved about the show since the first day I watched it, not just when it ended.

There's nowt stranger than folk.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I really enjoyed a lot of Breaking Bad, and it had some of the best moments i've every seen on tv. But it didn't stand out above everything else. I thought that the first half of season 1 of Homeland was better than most of BB, I find GOT more entertaining and I thought that the US version of Shameless was a more interesting portrayal of American families.

I mean, basically I think that 90-95% of US drama and comedy is cr*p (probably 99% for the UK). So by default if I like a show I already put it in the top 5% of shows that are out there.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB was a great series, up there with the best I've seen such as The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, House of Cards (UK), Boys From The Black Stuff, Borgen etc etc.

And that's all it was, a good series, among many others. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wouldn't put Lost in that group by the way. Started off fantastically but it needed an end date set in stone from the beginning. The middle seasons were average filler as a result.

Agree 100% with this.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just general hysteria, more to do with excitement because of the finale,

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to that opinion, but that kind of mentality is perhaps selfish.

I realise that comment was a bit too personal, it's just this "I used to like it, then it became popular" BS pisses me off, unless the show changed to become popular just shut up and enjoy it.

I agree - just because you get into something later than someone else doesn't mean you like it less!

My colleague has just, after me wearing her down, started watching Breaking Bad and is loving it, and I'm delighted to have someone else to talk to about the show.

I don't like BB because the media or anyone else told me to - I like it because it's fantastc :)
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »

I thought the plot of the "Fringe" finale was quite clear;

SPOILERS

Walter and his associates tried to travel to the year 2167 with the child. Walter succeeded in this task, thus preventing the dystopian future he had just left from ever
    coming into being. I don't see regard the Fringe finale as being "nonsensical" or "dumbed down" (a little
    over-sentimental, maybe).
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^
    thanks for spoiler warning

yeah I think posters should warn more when talking about the end of others shows. I now know the ending of about 3 shows I wanted to watch now. not just in this thread but on other forums discussing BB. Its weird that people kind of gloss over it assuming everyone has watched them :mad:
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    ^
    yeah I think posters should warn more when talking about the end of others shows. I now know the ending of about 3 shows I wanted to watch now. not just in this thread but on other forums discussing BB. Its weird that people kind of gloss over it assuming everyone has watched them :mad:

Is is really that weird that people are comparing the finale of Breaking Bad to that of other highly rated shows? I think you're being a little naive.

I get fed up of the overuse of spoiler alerts as they make open discussion difficult
    Forum Member
    Is is really that weird that people are comparing the finale of Breaking Bad to that of other highly rated shows? I think you're being a little naive.

I get fed up of the overuse of spoiler alerts as they make open discussion difficult

Yes, since the entire post is meant to be discussing the appropriateness of comparing finales (or shows) rather than actually doing it.

Is it really that difficult to click a button to view a message or type SPOILER tags in your message?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, since the entire post is meant to be discussing the appropriateness of comparing finales (or shows) rather than actually doing it.

Is it really that difficult to click a button to view a message or type SPOILER tags in your message?

AGREED
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree it can be annoying wading through spoiler tags in a thread about a show being discussed that has been aired, with spoiler warnings in thread title. But you are way of the mark on your other point. I don't expect all other shows to be ruined for me because I want to join a BB discussion, its fine to compare and say what ending you preferred but to go into details is very annoying. I think its another example of the BB effect, "no other show matters now the great Breaking Bad has finished so lets just bring it all out in the open".

I have never been in a thread about other shows that has done this, literally spoiled every other show in existence lol. I guess its naive to assume people have a bit of common sense and consideration for the fact that not everyone has seen these shows.

I'm a massive BB fan as well, but that doesnt mean I now dont want to watch anything else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you couldn't really closely compare Orphan Black and Breaking Bad if you wanted. One's a fairly big budget Sony drama, the other's a tightly budgeted Canadian sci-fi.

no agreed you shouldn't compare them - but I think the point was that the BB fan boys are unfairly comparing ALL new shows to BB. I just used Orphan black as an example of a new show thats being talked about :)