Altitude affecting ipad2 (&iphone4s)

I've suspected for a long time altitude has a detrimental problem on my iPad and iPhone battery, today I took my iPad on a flight fully charged so say no less than 99% I didn't use it, but it wasn't completely off(it was on standby/sleep) and it's now down to 60% without any use at all. My phone similar but used that before the flight so can't say what it was 39% battery drain for 8hours seems severe. At home it can go days before it goes to 60%

Has anyone else noticed this? I suppose most will use there's so hard to compare really....

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Are they in flight mode though? If they are looking for signals and can't find any then they may be wasting battery searching all the time.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jakboi wrote: »
    I didn't use it, but it wasn't completely off(it was on standby/sleep)

Better to turn it off (or at least put in flight mode) if you're not using it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    The iPhone was in flight mode and the wifi was off on the iPad(no 3G)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Psionic,
    That doesn't really address the question though, that altitude affects apple devices differently.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psionic,
    That doesn't really address the question though, that altitude affects apple devices differently.

I have no idea why batteries in Apple devices would behave any differently from other similar devices as they all generally use the same chemistry and technology these days.

One thought though, were these devices packed in the hold or with you in the cabin? I would have thought that temperature has a far bigger impact on batteries then atmospheric pressure. Also a temperature controlled and pressurised cabin would lessen any effect from altitude.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Psionic,

You are not comparing like for like though - if the iPad/iPhone is searching for a signal that is not there then it will use more battery than when it's not on the plane and can grab a signal.

I doubt altitude has anything to do with it.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cabin pressure is equivalent to about 2,400m altitude. It's hardly "at altitude" and is just about the level that a human would notice walking around a city for a day.

Some people report similar effects, but it's far more likely to be due to searching out signals than air pressure.