Options

Please recommend a 'starter' for Xmas Dinner

haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We are having a large family gathering this year and I have been asked to provide the 'starter' course. I don't think we will want anything too filling as it will be followed by a traditional turkey etc. I would appreciate ideas on what to cook/serve up and any recipes. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Chilli fried Halloumi cheese with a Cranberry Sauce dip.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    pates - a smoked mackerel one and a mushroom one. hopefully everyone would like one or t'other.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a smoked salmon terrine?

Easy and light:
    http://www.greedygourmet.com/2009/06/03/smoked-salmon-terrine/
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fresh smoked salmon and large king prawns, very yummy and not filling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fresh smoked salmon and large king prawns, very yummy and not filling.

yep with buttered bread and some salad leaves, have it every year.

I just have the bread and leaves though
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am making a pate for us this year :)
  • Options
    RootsFranRootsFran Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chicken liver and bacon pate, yum and very easy to make.

Or go all retro and have a prawn cocktail. mmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Filo pastry parcels, filled with caramelised red onions, stilton and redcurrant jelly.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I don't tend to bother with starters as you could make a meal out of a starter alone.

A light salad of olives and cucumber with some red onion would be my choice.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We usually have a good old prawn cocktail.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Apologies for this starter, but I have been making this for Xmas Day for 40 years and my children won't let me stop now. I think they just like the nostalgia rather than the taste per se :o
    But here it is anyway:

Half a ripe (and it must be ripe) avocado per person and half its weight of white crab meat (tinned or fresh).
    Mush up the avocado with a fork (does not matter if there are lumps, so long as they are not too big), season with lime or lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add chilli flakes/paprika if wanted. Break up crab meat and stir in.

Pile on top of shredded lettuce on individual serving plates, plonk a large cooked prawn on top.
    Done.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Apologies for this starter, but I have been making this for Xmas Day for 40 years and my children won't let me stop now. I think they just like the nostalgia rather than the taste per se :o
    But here it is anyway:

Half a ripe (and it must be ripe) avocado per person and half its weight of white crab meat (tinned or fresh).
    Mush up the avocado with a fork (does not matter if there are lumps, so long as they are not too big), season with lime or lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add chilli flakes/paprika if wanted. Break up crab meat and stir in.

Pile on top of shredded lettuce on individual serving plates, plonk a large cooked prawn on top.
    Done.:)

I don't like avocados so substitute those with half a peach, add a little cream to the crab, place on a whole iceberg lettuce leaf and dust lightly with paprika or cayenne pepper. It would look quite nice on the serving dish to alternate peaches and avocados wouldn't it?
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starters we've had in the past are:

Prawn Cocktail (always a firm family favourite)
    Rollmops (slices of smoked salmon wrapped round prawns and covered in Rose Marie Sauce)
    Red Pepper and Sweet Potato Soup
    Baxters Tinned Lobster Soup served with a swirl of cream and a sprig of Parsley. It was on special offer that year - cheap, cheerful and Easy peasy!
  • Options
    LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our favourite Christmas dinner starter is long strips of smoked salmon mixed in with parpadelle strips of cucumber (not the outside as it's too bitter and not the core as it's too watery!) with a dressing of creme fraiche, lemon juice, lots of freshly ground pepper and plenty of fresh dill. Mmmm!
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chilli fried Halloumi cheese with a Cranberry Sauce dip.

They all sound delicious but I like the sound of this. How do you prepare the Halloumi?
  • Options
    fonzerellifonzerelli Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mini bruchetta tasters!

One with mozzerella and tomato, the other with parma ham and fig! served with a small side salad. We had it last year, got the taste buds going without being too filling!!
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    They all sound delicious but I like the sound of this. How do you prepare the Halloumi?

I prepare my chilli fried Halloumi by, erm, frying it in chilli oil.

Or olive oil with a bit of chopped chilli thrown in.

It has to be served there and then though. Usually I'd serve it with lemon wedges to squeeze over. However, as this is festive, serve it with cranberry sauce.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our favourite Christmas dinner starter is long strips of smoked salmon mixed in with parpadelle strips of cucumber (not the outside as it's too bitter and not the core as it's too watery!) with a dressing of creme fraiche, lemon juice, lots of freshly ground pepper and plenty of fresh dill. Mmmm!

Now that sounds like a plan!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I go to my parents I do the starter... I order a top notch side of smoked salmon or gravadlax from a good smoke house and bring the Irish soda bread.
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I done melon and prosciutto (?sp) skewers, and prawns with a mango chilli salsa thing. Both weree looovely and not filling at all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for the safe options - either pate or soup. Nothing too fancy if you have young children invited as most kids I've encountered won't eat anything that's too strongly flavoured or typically "grown up".
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm doing Xmas dinner for friends and for a starter I'm doing a mezze type thing with home made dips, girdled halloumi and flatbread, it's great when there are a lot of people I think and makes a change from the usual.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stumblebum wrote: »
    Filo pastry parcels, filled with caramelised red onions, stilton and redcurrant jelly.

That sounds nice, can you explain a little more?:)
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always have potted shrimps with crusty granary bread.

Then about a 2hr wait till the turkey is actually ready, rather than it's predicted time.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    Go for the safe options - either pate or soup. Nothing too fancy if you have young children invited as most kids I've encountered won't eat anything that's too strongly flavoured or typically "grown up".

Isn't pate quite 'grown up' though?