Options

Crap new version of "Your Song"

Comments

• Options
    Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As originally composed by Sir Elton, The chords, (that is all the notes used in the song at any point in time), and the chord PROGRESSION, (the way one chord leads to another), are an integral and very important part of the song's structure. Much more so in this beautifully artistic and superbly crafted song than in more simple music. To arrange a classic song is one thing, but to remove the very soul of it is unforgiveable. (Yes, I am a musician) Trust me, many of the chords in the Ellie Goulding version are just WRONG. I will reiterate that I like Ellie's work, but this could have been a lot better.

Funny.

Erm, look, if they were trying to use the exact same chords as Mr John, then yes they've clearly made a mistake and the chords are wrong.

I'm sure you'd agree that's an unlikely state of affairs.. they simply made a decision to change some notes, which to be fair, is their choice.

You don't have to like it, but shouting WRONG and PROGRESSION as if in some way everyone reading your post is too STUPID to understand, does not make you RIGHT.
  • Options
    ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I absolutely LOVE this new cover. It's way better than Elton's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny.

Erm, look, if they were trying to use the exact same chords as Mr John, then yes they've clearly made a mistake and the chords are wrong.

I'm sure you'd agree that's an unlikely state of affairs.. they simply made a decision to change some notes, which to be fair, is their choice.

You don't have to like it, but shouting WRONG and PROGRESSION as if in some way everyone reading your post is too STUPID to understand, does not make you RIGHT.

Calm down..... my use of capitals was purely to emphasise the important points of my post. I agree that if an artist chooses to 'simplify' an existing song, they have a right to do so, but don't expect those of us with a depth of feeling to be comfortable with this musically inferior version, even though, as I've said previously, I'm an admirer of Ellie.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She puts my teeth on edge more than any of the current crop of aching middle class twee type girl singers. I'm relieved 6Music has gotten over their infatuation with her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Yes it's a cover of a modern standard and it isn't perfect... but it is the best thing in the charts by miles and miles. I hope it does really well as it would be a deserve number one.
  • Options
    The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewan McGregor's version is one of my all time favorite songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Are you gonna have a pop at Bob Dylan or the Rolling Stones for playing other people's songs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomweller wrote: »
    Are you gonna have a pop at Bob Dylan or the Rolling Stones for playing other people's songs?

It's not a pop at covers, it's just that this one falls short in several ways as pointed out previously.

Just listened to Ewan McGregor's version and at least the chord progression is right. Sir Elton still gets my vote though.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Vine had a bit of a pop at Ellie's cover version on his show yesterday. I'm getting a bit bored of this whole trend of cover versions with sparse arrangements now. They always seem to be used on adverts too. I'm pretty sure I saw a Nivea advert still using Kaki King's version of "Close To Me" the other day.

I must admit though I do like a lot of the reinterpretations of mostly New Wave classics that Nouvelle Vague have done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    Jeremy Vine had a bit of a pop at Ellie's cover version on his show yesterday. I'm getting a bit bored of this whole trend of cover versions with sparse arrangements now.

I think that's the point - sparse arrangements. there's also, of course, 'twinkle twinkle little star' and 'somewhere over the rainbow' - where they sing the wrong words.
  • Options
    Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down..... my use of capitals was purely to emphasise the important points of my post. I agree that if an artist chooses to 'simplify' an existing song, they have a right to do so, but don't expect those of us with a depth of feeling to be comfortable with this musically inferior version, even though, as I've said previously, I'm an admirer of Ellie.

I am calm, I was merely aping your posting style to emphasise a point... in fact I just did what you did, but changed a couple of things to put a slight spin on it. I'm sure you would say I got it 'wrong' ;)

Back to cover versions: all this sparse arrangement stuff is surely a case of record companies wishing to repeat the Christmas success Gary Jules had with Mad World. I think that's a good example of an artist bringing something new to a song (desite the fact he transposed it by a semitone... oh the horror :rolleyes:).

While I'm here, notable mention has to go to Rick Rubin's work with Johnny Cash... I find it hard to choose between his and Nine Inch Nails versions of Hurt. Perhaps I lack the depth of feeling necessary to choose one over the other ;)
  • Options
    fdpfdp Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goulding's version of Your Soung doesn't have the "wrong" chords. It's an arrangement of the original. Anyone with a basic understanding of musical structure would understand that.

John Lewis have done very well out of their two sing choices for ads this year.
    I'm sure Mr Ridge is a talented musician, but I diasgree. Tinkering pointlessly with a classic song doesn't IMHO constitute 'an arrangement'.
    It screams 'WE LIKE, WANTED TO DO A COVER VERSION - AND WE HAD TO DO SOMETHING TO MAKE IT A BIT DIFFERENT FOR CREDIBILITY'S SAKE'.

P.S. I have an adequate (for me) understanding of composition/performance and musical structure and can muster a tune on several instruments (although not at the same time) so you're assertion is a little wobbly at least to me...:yawn:
  • Options
    philleesphillees Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Have to agree about it being bloody awful, I even had to tweet about it when I first heard it. Not sure about the chords being right or wrong as I'm not a musician but the song just doesn't have any flow about it. For half the song she just seems to talk her way thru it choping off every word in her perfect English accent and not giving it any love or emotion to which the song is all about.
    The second half of the song does sound better, but for me the damage is already done.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    fdp wrote: »
    I'm sure Mr Ridge is a talented musician, but I diasgree. Tinkering pointlessly with a classic song doesn't IMHO constitute 'an arrangement'.
    It screams 'WE LIKE, WANTED TO DO A COVER VERSION - AND WE HAD TO DO SOMETHING TO MAKE IT A BIT DIFFERENT FOR CREDIBILITY'S SAKE'.

P.S. I have an adequate (for me) understanding of composition/performance and musical structure and can muster a tune on several instruments (although not at the same time) so you're assertion is a little wobbly at least to me...:yawn:

You might e a good musician, but your forum formatting needs sorting ;)

As music is always going to be subjective, there will always be differing views.

Get over it.
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Funny.

It is all down to personal choice of course. Personally, i don't like Ellies version either

My general thought on cover versions is that if they are a different take on the original like Gary Jules/Michael Andrews version of Tears For Fears Mad World, then fine.

If they are just a weaker copy, then it's just pure laziness & an attempt to make a quick buck with a known song, rather than writing something new.

I think the Ellie Goulding song is the the later
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always puzzled that, when somebody records their own version of a song, it's referred to, usually contemptuously, as a 'cover'. Should a song only be recorded once, by the original artist? Sinatra originally recorded My Way but nobody sneered "cover" when it was also done by Presley, Bassey, the Sex Pistols and scores of others.It only happens in popular music. You never hear a Radio 3 announcer say 'that was Pavarotti's cover version of Nessun Dorma.' And why are singers nowadays expected to write their own songs? The two talents don't always go together. Perhaps that's why there's so much dross issuing from our radios (and why I mostly listen to speech stations!)

PS - I like Ellie's interpretation of Your Song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I am a fan of Ellie Goulding but I have to agree the stripped back version that she has done of 'Your Song' is really awful. I haven’t heard it getting much air play on the stations I listen to which is a blessing.

If someone is going to cover a track then it has to be right, stripping everything right back and just singing it with a whimper is not the way to go anymore, it has been done to death over the last few years.

I find myself asking if people should be allowed to do covers and release them now, it's becoming too much of an every week occurrence in the industry just now. Some people say that it is a good thing that modern day artists cover these tracks because it makes young people aware of the original versions. I personally think that if someone has any interest in music and wants to find out about a track they will find it themselves without Tinchy stryder brutalising it.

Is Lady Gaga going to cover John Lennon’s 'Imagine' in the New Year?
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why are singers nowadays expected to write their own songs? The two talents don't always go together.

Because they do, and of course, they make more money when they are successful. I would estimate 90%+ of the music 6 or Xfm play is self-penned. A thoroughly healthy development I would say.

There's always X-Factor for fans of excrutiating kareoke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might e a good musician, but your forum formatting needs sorting ;)

As music is always going to be subjective, there will always be differing views.

Get over it.

Nothing to 'get over'. I expressed an opninon.
    Formatting fail down to DS - not me.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    I think that's the point - sparse arrangements. there's also, of course, 'twinkle twinkle little star' and 'somewhere over the rainbow' - where they sing the wrong words.

Is the 'Somewhere over the Rainbow' version you referred to by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole? I have heard the 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' that you mentioned and I must admit I thought it was a joke when I heard it. Perhaps someone should do one of 'I know an old lady who swallowed a fly?' GaGa can have that one! :p

Cover versions with 'stripped back' arrangements or whatever one would choose to call them are losing their effectiveness for me. I agree with Marcus Bradshaw that in this case it is most likely the record company wishing to repeat the success of Michael Andrews and Gary Jules. As Lord Baron also wrote, the approach of "stripping everything right back and just singing it with a whimper... has been done to death over the last few years. "

Admittedly there are probably a limited number of options open when covering a song if it is intended to have a chance at selling a few records. However, I think the sparse arrangement approach is quite a lifeless way to do it now. In any event I can't help but agree with Lord Baron that cover versions are becoming far too common anyway and with regard to the lack of merit in the argument of a cover being good to introducing young people to an original recording.
  • Options
    tini canstini cans Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Is the 'Somewhere over the Rainbow' version you referred to by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole?

Or "Izz" as he's known on Heart and Magic. ;)
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the 'Somewhere over the Rainbow' version you referred to by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole? I have heard the 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' that you mentioned and I must admit I thought it was a joke when I heard it. Perhaps someone should do one of 'I know an old lady who swallowed a fly?' GaGa can have that one! :p

I can recommend Carly Simon's version of Itsy Bitsy Spider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it's time that MCPS/PRS considered limiting the number of the number of twee, aspirationally earnest and sincere girlies who are permittited to attack with a Nuemann, a perfectly innocent classic song in the hope of getting on telly.
    Further, the god awful 'over compressed breathiness - featured in many of these unmitigated assualts should become a criminal offence - as should airing said somngs. With all this in place, hope fully all the wannabees wil take up their rightful place at McDonalds, while those who can actually sing, will be forced to chose more approprate material. I don't think there's anthing above that could be termed unreasonable.;)
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fdp wrote: »
    Perhaps it's time that MCPS/PRS considered limiting the number of the number of twee, aspirationally earnest and sincere girlies who are permittited to attack with a Nuemann, a perfectly innocent classic song in the hope of getting on telly.
    Further, the god awful 'over compressed breathiness - featured in many of these unmitigated assualts should become a criminal offence - as should airing said somngs. With all this in place, hope fully all the wannabees wil take up their rightful place at McDonalds, while those who can actually sing, will be forced to chose more approprate material. I don't think there's anthing above that could be termed unreasonable.;)

No I wouldn't class your post as unreasonable. I would prefer self-rightous, pompous, bo***cks.

I think it's time that DS considered limiting the number of self-important, up their own a*se, wanna be music critics who attack with a keyboard, sneering at anything that doesn't conform with their own narrow-minded tastes. In fact, it should almost be a criminal offence......
  • Options
    tini canstini cans Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    In fact, it should almost be a criminal offence......

I really like that idea Jon.

We should throw them in Joey's old padded cell and play them More Music Variety all weekend until they repent! ;)

Ellie Goulding's Your Song is perfectly pleasant and inoffensive.

What's not to like about Ellie.

She's GREAT. ;)

It's ideal fodder for the likes of Magic, Heart, Radio 2, Breeze, Smooth and Real.