Options

Come On Down! The Game Show Story ITV 7PM

Comments

• Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    It might work a bit better if they called it "Name This Tune".
    In what way? You've lost me, as ever! :confused:
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know that so many of these game shows were American based
    I thought they were all from Endemol in the Netherlands
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These are classic shows we're talking about here, not the shite that that lot are responsible for.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    In what way? You've lost me, as ever! :confused:

I may be wrong, but to me "that" refers to something which has already happened, while "this" refers to something in the past. Not always, obviously, but in this context "That tune" is one you've just heard.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    yorksdave wrote: »
    The original Take Your Pick and Double Your Money were produced for Associated-Rediffusion, I doubt that much if any of those programmes exist, and if they did, there would probably be rights issues.

There are some editions and they often show excerpts
    Would have been nice to see Micheal Miles and Alec Dane with the gong and Bob Danvers Walker the voice of Pathe news
    Poor Micheal so ashamed of his epilepsy when Ill he slurred his words and would lock himself in his dressing room preferring people to think he was a drunk
    And they also rubbed Hughie Green out and Jeremy Hawke with Criss Cross Quiz
    Come out itv if you're going to do it DO IT PROPERLY !!

Truth be told it's only an obviously blatant plug for Warwick and Celebrity Squares anyhow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    They missed out all the oldies. Take Your Pick and Double your money were superb.

Already mentioned Hughie and Monica
    Do you remember the other hostesses Yvonne Marsh and 'the singing housewife 'Audrey Graham
    I think both previous Op knocks winners
  • Options
    Forum Member
    These are classic shows we're talking about here, not the shite that that lot are responsible for.

Notice they mentioned Goodson and Todman for The price is right
    No mention of Call my bluff though
    Very poorly researched show in my opinion
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but to me "that" refers to something which has already happened, while "this" refers to something in the past. Not always, obviously, but in this context "That tune" is one you've just heard.

Eh? Something that has already happened and something that is in the past both mean the same thing don't they? :confused:
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    One of the major problems with gameshows today. Celeb based.

One of the major problems with documentaries about gameshows. Celeb based.
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Notice they mentioned Goodson and Todman for The price is right
    No mention of Call my bluff though
    It appeared on what appeared to be a shot of a promotional beer mat listing 8 of their shows.

Goodson on didn't invent TPIR though as the prohramme kind of suggested - that was Bob Stewart.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? Something that has already happened and something that is in the past both mean the same thing don't they? :confused:

You're perfectly right. I meant to say "something which is just about to happen". My apologies.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3-2-1 came from Spanish TV

Gen Game was from Dutch TV but not Endemol, it was actually picked up by the BBC's Bill Cotton on a visit to Holland and he immediately thought of Bruce Forsyth

Countdown (perhaps not strictly speaking a quiz show) came from French TV

Mastermind was devised by a BBC producer called Bill Wright who whiled away his time in German prisoner of war camps running quizzes for his colleagues

Most of the others were indeed from US TV

Incidentally Hughie Green was sacked by Thames after he drunkenly insulted a producer in the bar at Teddington and never worked in British TV again. When the BBC briefly revived Opportunity Knocks they paid him to stay away from the studios.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    3-2-1 came from Spanish TV

Gen Game was from Dutch TV but not Endemol, it was actually picked up by the BBC's Bill Cotton on a visit to Holland and he immediately thought of Bruce Forsyth

Countdown (perhaps not strictly speaking a quiz show) came from French TV

Mastermind was devised by a BBC producer called Bill Wright who whiled away his time in German prisoner of war camps running quizzes for his colleagues

Most of the others were indeed from US TV

Mr & Mrs was originally a Canadian programme
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Already mentioned Hughie and Monica
    Do you remember the other hostesses Yvonne Marsh and 'the singing housewife 'Audrey Graham
    I think both previous Op knocks winners

I remember audrey grahame.....anne aston was funny too as hostess that supposedly couldnt add up on the Golden Shot.. Should bring that back i think
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching the original French Countdown (Des chiffres et des lettres - numbers and letters) in a bar in Paris some years ago. The Nick Hewer figure was drinking brandy and smoking a cigar but then it was French TV:D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    What about the early days ........

Double Your Money
    Take Your Pick
    What's My Line

etc

Now i will show my age. Michael Miles was wonderful on Take Your Pick. Very hard to survive 60 seconds with him. "you didnt nod your head then, did you? ". "No, Michael. ". BONG.

Far better than des o connor's remake.
  • Options
    finluxfinlux Posts: 3,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Yet the tv makers seem to think that is what we want >:( I don't so don't watch.

I cannot understand the "celebrity" culture either - who the hell cares?
    It puts me off watching, perhaps it must be an age thing!?

Taking of Endemol, (slightly off topic), why do they have several different brands? Surely, it would be better if they all came under the Endemol umbrella?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing they should mention is why games show get dropped/cancelled...

Wheel of Fortune, The Price Is Right and Family Feud are a few that have been on US TV since they started.

When discussing the rubbish prizes on Bullseye and Blankety Blank they SHOULD mention this was due to prize limits of the day.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I find it upsetting that the Kirkstall Road Studtios has itv Yorkshire on it and not Yorkshire Television and the chevron.

Bring back the chevron!!!

Correction Bradley it was not filmed in itv studios in Leeds lol please don't be afraid to use the words Yorkshire Television.

In ITV's defence, the YTV chevron did fall off the building!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »

As a child the three signs I remember best were the big red Granada Sign on Quay St the ABC weekend television shield on the front of the ABC Capital cinema in School Lane Didsbury and the BBC sign lit up in green lettering on the side of the old church/Mancunian film studio on Dickinson Rd
    A building now remembered for top of the pops and that Dj

Sometimes feel very old 😢
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »

Allegedly some people say it was a coincidence it happen just as itv was merged into one and Richard Whiteley died.

Was the chevron making a statement that it didn't agree with merger or was it just secretly taken down in the wee small hours?

Last week on Challenge they showed the old Family Fortunes and Bob said the £3000 was biggest jackpot on British television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a £3,200/week maximum according to wikipedia.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a £3,200/week maximum according to wikipedia.

That can't be quite right as they had to go through the £300 barrier to get to Big Money therefore they could have won between £3300 and £3450.

Unless they had a maximum jackpot which didn't include the first round money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    That can't be quite right as they had to go through the £300 barrier to get to Big Money therefore they could have won between £3300 and £3450.

Unless they had a maximum jackpot which didn't include the first round money.

Some info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Fortunes#Cash_and_prizes
    and:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Broadcasting_Authority#Approach
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    finlux wrote: »
    I cannot understand the "celebrity" culture either - who the hell cares?
    It puts me off watching, perhaps it must be an age thing!?

Taking of Endemol, (slightly off topic), why do they have several different brands? Surely, it would be better if they all came under the Endemol umbrella?
    Surely it's similar to any takeover. A company invents a programme but are bought out yet they keep their staff and whatnot to keep making programmes it's just that the umberella organisation get the best of the profits.