Potted Herbs

NP73NP73 Posts: 258
Forum Member
I often buy the small potted herbs from Aldi or Morrisons; I've found the basil and parsley easy to look after and can last for weeks, but no matter what I try to do with fresh coriander, the plant always ends up dying after just a few days. Where am I going wrong?

Comments

• alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they usually need reporting ASAP into a bigger pot. Worked for me.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I'm not massively keen on coriander, so I don't tend to buy it, but I always repot the other herbs I buy - I find they last much longer. You should separate them out too - there are usually several separate plants in the pots you buy.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely repot. They will be pot bound.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Grow your own coriander from seed, it grows like a weed!

Most herbs do better in a reasonably sized pot, sheltered, outside. I repotted supermarket basil (reduced to 30p!) last year and it lasted for months.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I saw a report about this, possibly on The One Show. Agree with the others that they need repotting. You need to loosen the soil they come in and add some more or compost etc.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had much luck growing coriander - I use flat leaf parsley which is quite a similar taste and very easy to grow.
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coriander is far more delicate than the other herbs you buy.
    Repotting will give it more chance, but you need to top them regularly as well.
    It grows completely different to parsey. Parsley takes 2 years before it goes to seed (if you don't use it), coriander goes to seed in a matter of months.
    You repot them and they need a cool (15°C) place to thrive, out of direct sunlight.