Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I bought it that very night, so even these 35 year old repeats are selling the records still! :cool:
    i bought about 20 tracks last year from amazon/Itunes after watching the TOTP77 repeats (i was after yellow dog's one more night,but can't find it anywhere legal :( )
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    I think he was hosting up to about 1984 - about the same time as the charts started going downhill! :o - He only does 2 or 3 a year though if that!

If the BEEB had kept the DLT shows running we would hardly notice the missing episodes! :rolleyes:

Surely you mean uphill? 1980-2 were pretty dire.
  • andyneilgandyneilg Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea, that theme music from Noel's Concorde show is called 'Sirius', from The Alan Parson's Project album 'Eye in the Sky', from 1982. It's only 2 mins long though!

I know this because I was trying to find it after hearing it on 'Frasier' (Niles' basketball shot). I managed to Shazam it and when Shazam id'd it I exclaimed 'Alan Parsons, of flippin' course'!!
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyneilg wrote: »
    Rich Tea, that theme music from Noel's Concorde show is called 'Sirius', from The Alan Parson's Project album 'Eye in the Sky', from 1982. It's only 2 mins long though!

I know this because I was trying to find it after hearing it on 'Frasier' (Niles' basketball shot). I managed to Shazam it and when Shazam id'd it I exclaimed 'Alan Parsons, of flippin' course'!!

Brilliant, thanks very much, I wasn't expecting an answer that fast, if at all. I was even wondering if it was just a generic piece made by the BBC radiophonic workshop of the time, who made some decent sounding instrumentals. I didn't have any song recognition software set up on my phone either to try and find out! Thanks! :)

EDIT; Just bought it no trouble from the original 1982 album on iTunes!
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    i bought about 20 tracks last year from amazon/Itunes after watching the TOTP77 repeats (i was after yellow dog's one more night,but can't find it anywhere legal :( )

Thank your lucky stars that we live in the download era now then, because you definitely would not have been able to pop down to Woollies or wherever and get yourself a vinyl copy years later would you! :p

Talking "Lucky Stars" there is a later in 1978 guilty pleasure record by Dean Friedman that I must get too, that went top 3.

Anyway, I have found it, just incase you haven't. No idea if the site is totally legal but I have used it for those "difficult" tracks now and again, and I found Yellow Dog on;

www.prostopleer.com

I think it allows up to 15 downloads a day.

As for iTunes, I am continually surprised at how many decent sized UK hit singles they do not appear to have, considering the boast about millions of tracks. A lot of the ones I have been unable to find have been relatively recent, 1980's hits that went Top 20, or even 10.
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    That's one of my favourite songs and clips. I have that clip on the video of 'Marc Bolan and T. Rex - The Ultimate Collection.'

BIB - I looked this up on Amazon; is the 'Metal Guru' clip on this tape the colourful performance from the wiped 11 May 1972 edition of TOTP which I rediscovered on YouTube just last night (see link below)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADx4qZ73jiA

I believe the only clip of 'Metal Guru' left in the BBC archive is from the 28 December 1972 show, as featured in the recent 'Ultimate Number 1s at the BBC' compilation on BBC Four.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    Was given a timely reminder by my pod this morning that 1978 was the year when ELO milked the wonderful Out of the Blue for 3 consecutive number 6 hits - all of them belters. What a prolific group ELO were bearing in mind the quality of their output the previous year ( the classic New World Record) and the slightly inferior Discovery 1 year on. I look forward in anticipation... Cannot remember ELO featuring in the story of 1978 programme - though someone may put me right on this.

Like a lot of music documentaries, they make you believe that punk was the only music that happened at this time.
    ELO didn't feature in the documentary, though Mr Blue Sky wa shown in the Big Hits compilation.
    I wonder why 'Turns To Stone' wasn't a bigger hit. Only reaching number 18. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    Like a lot of music documentaries, they make you believe that punk was the only music that happened at this time.
    ELO didn't feature in the documentary, though Mr Blue Sky wa shown in the Big Hits compilation.
    I wonder why 'Turns To Stone' wasn't a bigger hit. Only reaching number 18. :confused:

Yes, a big mystery, great track and the first single from the double album, plus it's not as if ELO weren't popular at the time as they'd had three big hits from their previous album in the past year. I remember at the time Jonathon King saying that they made a mistake releasing "Turn to Stone" and that they should have released "Sweet is the Night". In the end, the latter was never released as a single (very good track though).
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the older shows from the late 60s/early 70s were in the archive many would feature Saville and therefore wouldn't be broadcast. I really would of like to see more of the 60s/ early 70s stuff too, can't believe how little is left from this period.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Surely you mean uphill? 1980-2 were pretty dire.

Well it's all a question of taste!

- For me in 1984 there was a lot more soul and dance records and a lot less of the great New Wave and Electronic music!.. Plus the dreadful Stock, Aitkin & Waterman were just around the corner! :mad:
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great watching some of the early clips of Siouxsie & The Banshees and The Cure, but then along came the Boomtown Rats to spoil it all.
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a big mystery, great track and the first single from the double album, plus it's not as if ELO weren't popular at the time as they'd had three big hits from their previous album in the past year. I remember at the time Jonathon King saying that they made a mistake releasing "Turn to Stone" and that they should have released "Sweet is the Night". In the end, the latter was never released as a single (very good track though).

Agree with you Gatherer and Zimbo about 'Turn To Stone' - so underrated. Must dig out the 'sweet is the night' track again. Did not know about JK's opinion on TTS to be honest. Always had a soft spot for the album track 'Jungle' , likewise on 'Out of the blue'. I wonder if a musical award were ever to be awarded for the best 2 consecutive albums released within a year of each other - would A new world record and out of the blue claim the award for ELO ? Who knows... ?
  • mesonychidmesonychid Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did wire ever get on totp....i doubt it
    but check out chairs missing album by wire from 1978.....enjoy !
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with you Gatherer and Zimbo about 'Turn To Stone' - so underrated.

That is one of my two favourite ELO tracks!

The other is the totally sublime Telephone Line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Agree with you Gatherer and Zimbo about 'Turn To Stone' - so underrated. Must dig out the 'sweet is the night' track again. Did not know about JK's opinion on TTS to be honest. Always had a soft spot for the album track 'Jungle' , likewise on 'Out of the blue'. I wonder if a musical award were ever to be awarded for the best 2 consecutive albums released within a year of each other - would A new world record and out of the blue claim the award for ELO ? Who knows... ?
    BIB For me that would have to be "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver". Unbelievable to think there were just 8 months between those two classics.
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    Even if the older shows from the late 60s/early 70s were in the archive many would feature Saville and therefore wouldn't be broadcast. I really would of like to see more of the 60s/ early 70s stuff too, can't believe how little is left from this period.

BIB - Even if the older shows from the early 60s were in the archive many would feature Savile and therefore wouldn't be broadcast. :mad:

A few years ago Jarvis Cocker presented a programme on Channel 4 (as far as I recall) titled 'The Ultimate TV Pop Show' during which he interviewed a BBC employee who had taken the initiative of copying isolated TOTP performances from the master tapes before they were wiped. Had it not been for him most of the 1960s clips shown on TOTP2 etc. would never have survived (which could possibly explain why they often look grainy - i.e. because they are copies - not the original masters). With the exception of two complete shows (Boxing Day 1967 and 15 February 1968) the BBC would to all intents and purposes have purged the entire sixties TOTP archive. :eek:

Several classic TOTP performances from the early 70s glam rock period only exist because they were licensed to the German ZDF channel. These include two by Slade (Gudbuy T'Jane & Cum On Feel The Noize); three by The Sweet (Poppa Joe, Little Willy & Wigwam Bam) and (I think possibly) seven by T. Rex (Hot Love, Get It On, Telegram Sam, Metal Guru (see post #907 above), Children of the Revolution, Solid Gold Easy Action & Twentieth Century Boy) all of which were originally wiped by the BBC. :(

I wonder why the BBC have never bought these clips back from ZDF in order to show them on TOTP2. :confused:
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mesonychid wrote: »
    did wire ever get on totp....i doubt it
    but check out chairs missing album by wire from 1978.....enjoy !
    They produced one of the best pop songs ever in Map reference 41' N 93' W, but it was a title guaranteed to ensure that most DJs avoided it like the plague.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    They produced one of the best pop songs ever in Map reference 41' N 93' W, but it was a title guaranteed to ensure that most DJs avoided it like the plague.

And in case anyone's wondering, that title's an atlas coordinate for a place called Des Moines, in Iowa state. Yes, I am geeky enough to look it up in my atlas!
  • LabLab Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Agreed. They were a superb pop band. Not afraid to sacrifice tunes for punk credibility. i still play Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 154 to this day. Document and Eye Witness, not so much ;)

Their influence on indie guitar pop cannot be underestimated. For all the lo-fi production on their early records, there was nothing hiding the melodies, which certainly weren't lost on many, more successful, bands of the 80s and 90s.

Anyone remember the plagiarism / tribute debate re Wire's 'I Am The Fly' vs Elastica's 'Line Up'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's all a question of taste!

- For me in 1984 there was a lot more soul and dance records and a lot less of the great New Wave and Electronic music!.. Plus the dreadful Stock, Aitkin & Waterman were just around the corner! :mad:

Congratulations, you've beaten Rich Tea to being the first person in a thread about 1978 to go off topic to have a go at the wonderful SAW!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They'd get my vote!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB For me that would have to be "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver". Unbelievable to think there were just 8 months between those two classics.

Actually 8 months is quite a long time for that era - most artists were releasing 2 albums a year. Also, a lot of albums of the time were a lot shorter than CDs of today.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Congratulations, you've beaten Rich Tea to being the first person in a thread about 1978 to go off topic to have a go at the wonderful SAW!

:D - They were WONDERFUL at making money!! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D - They were WONDERFUL at making money!! :rolleyes:

And good music!
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And good music!

Repetitive, cookie cutter garbage.