Options

I dont want a post mortem done on me

Comments

• Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urrgh, I didn't know post mortems were mandatory! Can't I just die and that be that? I don't want people cutting me up I'm dead just leave me alone :(
  • Options
    dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urrgh, I didn't know post mortems were mandatory! Can't I just die and that be that? I don't want people cutting me up I'm dead just leave me alone :(

no sorry...within a short time of death rigor mortis sets in so they have to break arms and legs to get the body in the coffin...plus thet stuff corks in every orifice to stop the nasty stuff coming out and making the funeral smell
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TBH I don't think they are. There is probably a tick box form and if it's not that obvious why you died then you get one. exceptions murders, suicides, illnesses that could kill you but you should not have died from it (for learning reasons).
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some horrible videos on YouTube showing the whole graphic process :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no sorry...within a short time of death rigor mortis sets in so they have to break arms and legs to get the body in the coffin...plus thet stuff corks in every orifice to stop the nasty stuff coming out and making the funeral smell

That is BS rigor mortis does not last. That is why it is an indicator of time of death. nobody is dead and buried in a few hours after death
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rest assured, if death doesn't kill you, the post mortem will! They don't wash their hands!

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't opt out, but if you die expectedly of an illness having been seen by a doctor before death you can avoid it. Take up activities likely to make you ill, start smoking, become an alcoholic, expose yourself to asbestos repeatedly, get hepatitis and HIV and refuse all treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is BS rigor mortis does not last. That is why it is an indicator of time of death. nobody is dead and buried in a few hours after death[/QUOTE

muscles stiffen after about four hours until fully stiff after about 15 hours and it lasts about 3 days .muslims are buried very soon after death,part of their culture
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooo you screwed dat quote up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooo you screwed dat quote up.

I know pooter was being weird and tried to multi quote instead of just quote so I deleted bits and it all went to poo. dat ahwight?;)
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    You can't opt out, but if you die expectedly of an illness having been seen by a doctor before death you can avoid it. Take up activities likely to make you ill, start smoking, become an alcoholic, expose yourself to asbestos repeatedly, get hepatitis and HIV and refuse all treatment.

That's not strictly true.

My father-in-law was riddled with cancer; stomach, lungs, liver and oesophagus and they still performed a postmortem on his body after he died.

Seemed totally unnecessary to me, but not the doctors, apparently.

Can't say I'm overly keen on my body being hacked up by doctors when I'm dead either to be honest. I've no idea why, but I'd prefer my body and organs to be intact when I go into the ground or the oven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

My father-in-law was riddled with cancer; stomach, lungs, liver and oesophagus and they still performed a postmortem on his body after he died.

Can't say I'm overly keen on my body being hacked up by doctors when I'm dead either to be honest. I've no idea why, but I'd prefer my body and organs to be intact when I go into the ground or the oven.

You never think about this when your a kid..Onlly when you get experience of people dying around you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You never think about this when your a kid..Onlly when you get experience of people dying around you

I have watched two people take their last breath, one of them a baby, and it certainly has a profound affect on you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched two people take their last breath, one of them a baby, and it certainly has a profound affect on you.

Even. more tragic with a young child..I have known. many people die who i didnt even know were ill.I was speaking to one the day before she died and seemed perfectly normal.I could,nt believe it when somebody told. me she died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even. more tragic with a young child..I have known. many people die who i didnt even know were ill.I was speaking to one the day before she died and seemed perfectly normal.I could,nt believe it when somebody told. me she died.

It's very difficult to understand death until you see it with your own eyes.

It's a horrible experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    i've been watching Dr G on discovery channel and whilst she's very compassionate to the deceased etc i dont see what the point is of finding out what killed me off. If its a car crash it's obvious so why carve me up:( i can understand if i've been murdered but apart from that i'd like to just be left in tact.

has anyone seen what they do - they do a huge cut down your middle and pull everything out, then the most disgusting thing is they cut your scalp and use a drill to open your skull omg no thanks :eek:

can i opt out??

I`ve never really thought about it to be honest OP but now you come to mention it and having researched it in greater detail I actually think I agree with you especially when it comes to loved ones.

I like the Ideal of this new scan version of PM though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I`m not keen on that thought either tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very difficult to understand death until you see it with your own eyes.

It's a horrible experience.

Thats why I,m always grateful for the time I have now because none of us know when life will end.I live every day to the full
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have attended a PM and it is a thoroughly fascinating business. It is true that the organs are put in a plastic bag and sewn inside the cadaver, this really a consequence of legislation introduce after the scandal a few years ago when children's body parts were being retained at a hospital to ensure that the body remains complete after the procedure.
    The scalp is peeled forward, sawn open with an oscillating saw and the brain removed. The brain is sliced and examined, this will reveal any tell tale blood clots that are evidence of a stroke occurring.
    Despite all the above I must emphasise that at all times the deceased is treated with respect and dignity and, in my experience, after and despite the procedures the deceased looks at peace.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can recommend a film called 'pathology' to the OP, to put their mind at rest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm personally not bothered what they do to me when I'm dead, my body is just an empty shell then. I've been a registered organ donar since I was a kid and hope they take every organ they can from me otherwise it seems such a waste, and then cremate me. I'm already covered in scars (69 and counting) have bits missing from my body and bits that aren't supposed to be there, and I didn't feel any of that, so I can honestly say I really don't care what they do with me when I'm dead as long as anything that can be used for current life or learning isn't wasted.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    can i opt out??

Just cut off your own head, then the cause of death is obvious.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've been watching Dr G on discovery channel and whilst she's very compassionate to the deceased etc i dont see what the point is of finding out what killed me off. If its a car crash it's obvious so why carve me up:( i can understand if i've been murdered but apart from that i'd like to just be left in tact.

has anyone seen what they do - they do a huge cut down your middle and pull everything out, then the most disgusting thing is they cut your scalp and use a drill to open your skull omg no thanks :eek:

can i opt out??

Why worry, you wont know anything about it.

The spirit which used to inhabit your body will have been long gone.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post.
  • Options
    TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

can i opt out??

Im fairly certain when it comes to your time, you won't actually care what they do to your body. Because you will be dead.