Fall in TV audience for Dancing on Ice

popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Against a strong line up on the BBC Dancing on Ice lost viewers last night. The main show drew 5.77 million and the results show 4.71.

The results show is now up against the hugely popular Call the Midwife which drew nearly 10 million viewers last night so no surprise that it will struggle for viewers. Let's hope the rating don't drop much further into embarrassing figures

I hope ITV just let the series end and not attempt any silly twists in a desperate attempt to woo viewers back which won't happen

Comments

• abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i watched DOI much later on itv iplayer... maybe others did as well?
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tape it ;-)
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those ratings are a disaster tbh. However it has already been cancelled, so I doubt it matters too much.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its all be said and done.
    the routines are so boring T&D have totally given up.
    IMHO its only Jason and Karen even care about the show anymore.
    Ashley cant come up with anything original.
    I just hope they wont go down the route of insane twists they need better routines
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    its all be said and done.
    Ashley cant come up with anything original.
    I just hope they wont go down the route of insane twists they need better routines

Karen has sacrificed a lot for her hunger for celebrity ... her husband, her job , some of her old friends and she's not the nice person that she used to be. I just hope for her sake its all been worth it . I don't think celebrities stay friends for very long once someone is out of the limelight.
  • davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    I never watch it live when you can skip all the add breaks:p
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think it is unwatchable live. So many ad breaks and they are sooo long.

Like many others we record it and fast forward through the ads and quite of lot of the actual programme.

I'm really only watching out of "nostalgia". I shan't miss it when it's gone and my OH will be very happy never to see it again.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    I honestly think it is unwatchable live. So many ad breaks and they are sooo long.

Like many others we record it and fast forward through the ads and quite of lot of the actual programme.

I'm really only watching out of "nostalgia". I shan't miss it when it's gone and my OH will be very happy never to see it again.

Yesterday's show was actually better terms of watching live with 10 acts taking part in the same time as they did 7 in the last two weeks. Things moved along at decent pace with limited padding and shorter VT's
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's show was actually better terms of watching live with 10 acts taking part in the same time as they did 7 in the last two weeks. Things moved along at decent pace with limited padding and shorter VT's

Yes it was a bit better yesterday :D.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is really bad, but the skate off is on the same time as Call the Midwife. It should never have been moved from Saturday nights in the first place, but it's way too late for all that now.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

Ashley cant come up with anything original...

T&D do give an impression that they really couldn't care less any more.

Their choreography seems to be stuck in some sort of rut much of the time and the nonsense that they gave Todd the Clod was insulting the viewer (and Todd!).

You are quite right about Karen and Jason. They at least argue the point at times, although Karen too often tends to follow Robins marking.
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »

I managed to watch the show and the results show in 1 hour by skipping the ads and the boring training videos. A much more satisfying experience! There's no way I would watch it live, not with all those ads!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T&D do give an impression that they really couldn't care less any more.

But what can they do after the show ends ? Coach ice-dancers ?
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    But what can they do after the show ends ? Coach ice-dancers ?

Probably seriously consider a well earned retirement. They can look back on their incredible past successes with pride.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably seriously consider a well earned retirement. They can look back on their incredible past successes with pride.

Well, had a look at Virtue and Moir circa 2014, and though they are faster, more athletic, do more dangerous lifts, somehow even they do not have T&D's artistry and connection with the music (that is, T&D circa 1983-84).
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I completely forgot about DOI AND The Midwives! Drat!! I have never understood how Karen can be a judge when she is also a coach to the celeb ice skaters! You see her helping during rehearsals and then she judges these same celebs on Sunday! Bizarre. I wonder if she will still be with Chris after the programme is over!!

I cannot stand the one skater and then the advert breaks. I think that has killed the show. I cannot remember at the beginning that there were so many commercial breaks through the programme? Now, like so many other viewers, I tape it and fast forward thru the adverts otherwise I would get so irritated if I watched it LIVE by the constant breaks I would give up and read a book! I think it will lose tons of viewers now it is the same time as MIDWIVES on the BBC with no commercial breaks!
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Although those numbers are obviously disappointing, DOI still got more viewers than the opening episode of Mr Selfridge which was being plugged every 5 minutes (well it felt like it to me anyway!) It will be interesting to see if whatever ITV put on their Sunday evening schedule early next year manages to attract more viewers than Dancing On Ice does.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should never have been moved from Saturday nights in the first place, but it's way too late for all that now.

It's incredibly dangerous having these sorts of shows on a Sunday evening when they can't help a certain amount of faffing around. I think on a Saturday night, people are more relaxed about tv that's a bit bitty, because they sit with the family, and relax with a glass of wine, and stuff the chores. Come Sunday night, people are often concious of the things they need to do to get ready for work, so have less patience for ad breaks, or contestants they can't quite take to.

Dramas work better, because if it's a good one, it keeps you constantly engaged, and they'll have a cliff hanger before the ads, so you know you need to get back in time. Even better if there are no ads (or stupid competitions), because you don't notice that time has passed, and you still haven't made the packed lunches.:blush:
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    I completely forgot about DOI AND The Midwives! Drat!! I have never understood how Karen can be a judge when she is also a coach to the celeb ice skaters! You see her helping during rehearsals and then she judges these same celebs on Sunday! Bizarre. I wonder if she will still be with Chris after the programme is over!!

I cannot stand the one skater and then the advert breaks. I think that has killed the show. I cannot remember at the beginning that there were so many commercial breaks through the programme? Now, like so many other viewers, I tape it and fast forward thru the adverts otherwise I would get so irritated if I watched it LIVE by the constant breaks I would give up and read a book! I think it will lose tons of viewers now it is the same time as MIDWIVES on the BBC with no commercial breaks!

Never counted, but how many adverts does DOI have? There would be 5 in/around an hour of Corrie, so 7 would be right for an hour and 45 minutes?

Putting it on against the Midwife thing must take a lot of the audience away. If the Voice hadn't improved by adding someone who actually knows anything about current music and major success, saturday would be DOi's logical spot. But ITV seem to have given that over to people falling into water - often with little success. Thats odd because Splash must be very cheap - with people getting much less than on IAC or CBB, less training , no outfits, no music, one less judge, and no pros to pay as well as coaches. One would hope that DOI still pays well and, as it costs a lot to make, you wonder why not find a better slot , or season for it?
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Well, had a look at Virtue and Moir circa 2014, and though they are faster, more athletic, do more dangerous lifts, somehow even they do not have T&D's artistry and connection with the music (that is, T&D circa 1983-84).

I disagree!

this is sheer perfection with more everything than I have ever seen. And as for that one legged, no hands life to a catch, now that is just state of the art today.

Artistry to the point of tears.

Warning: May spoil watching anyone else ever again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiHKNVQWis4
    Forum Member
    "Call the Midwife"? I'd rather have cold custard poured down my underpants. Some boring period drama for women of a certain age.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Call the Midwife"? I'd rather have cold custard poured down my underpants. Some boring period drama for women of a certain age.

Watched by 9.6 million people.

Dancing On Ice can barely muster 5 million.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If DOI is losing it's audience because it clashes with 'Midwife', it proves just how bad it has become, because the midwifey thing is not exactly good.

That besides, I'm not surprised doi has lost its viewers; it became very samey about 3 (or even 4) years ago, and let's face it, this year is just an excuse for a repeat.
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Watched by 9.6 million people.

Dancing On Ice can barely muster 5 million.

And TOWIE (a show about as common as much thick people thinking they are cool) is very popular as well, so what's your point?
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member

The younger audience seems to have melted away though. The shape of the future looks like Splash. You take people with lower asking prices, and give them something like a reported 10k (for the one we have any reports on anyway) Thats a lot cheaper than what they would get on IAC or SCD or DO1. You don't have the overheads for music, or changing costumes, or props, or professional partners, or even 4 judges. They train less, achieve less and the same numbers of people tune in as do to DOI.

There's probably a search going on for a new cheap format. There's probably too many singing shows, and too few new celebs to use who can sing. Horse jumping was a bit niche. The Games was a bit too injury prone, but had merit. The modern Olympic equivalent of T and D would be cycling - but taht doesn't look too promising. The cooking shows are taken by the BBC. Whats the equivalent of watching gravity in action on Splash?