Ed Miliband and Nigel Farage on the Andrew Marr Show

popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watching the Andrew Marr this morning and they had Miliband and Farage sitting together for a end of show chat

What was interesting was how nervous Miliband looked next to Farage and got really flustered when asked on more than occasion whether he would debate head to head with Farage and basically refused the answer the question (take that as a no). He did say that for the general election if Farage was invited by TV to be part of the leaders he would be fine with that. In that short chat you would never believe Miliband was likely to be the next Prime Minister as he looked like a junior compared to Farage

On the main interviews Miliband seems to be want to avoid debating anything to do with Europe even though we have a European elections coming and turned everything to his cost of living theme which is part of Labour's General Election campaign. It is was just OK but he did nothing to impress as a person or provide anything that might convince someone to vote for them

Farage as expected having to deal with all the questions about party members and did his best to defend his position. Pretty much what you expect from Farage and by now most people love or hate him in equally measures no matter what he says.

Comments

• SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miliband's insistance in trying to get the cost of living into everything is starting to look very silly, particularly when the question is absolutely nothing to do with that at all as was the case with Marr's first question this morning. If you stopped him in the street and asked if he could tell you the time I'm sure his reply would be 'Ah, I know that isn't really what you're concerned about, it's the cost of living crisis'.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed's TV interview performancs aren't getting any better. He always reminds me as a nervous young graduate applying for a job with an accountancy firm. Not someone who wants to be Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both Miliband and Cameron are terified to say owt on Europe because both have deeply divided parties on the issue.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to check myself as I don't like UKIP but Farage very nearly wooed me.

Its no wonder they are fearful of him. He can seduce voters with the right words. The problem is he hasn't been tested with any sort of real power. So we really can't judge if he is good at his job or not. Or whether he is just a good public speaker.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Nigel did well to defend the media attacks and rightly pointed out other parties aren't exactly free of idiots either. He did a good job with all that.

Ed refused to talk about Europe.. he just wanted to get everything back to "cost of living crisis" and at times he started to sound like an unhinged broken record.

As for the mini debate... Ed did well I felt. Far better than Nick Clegg did. But it's unclear if it was perhaps a stunt and Ed was advised to do it or if Ed genuinely is up for debating. Nigel probably wasn't prepared for it.
  • ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should imagine Milliband is happy enough sitting beside Farage, the UKIP vote will help labour, despite what Farage says i think when bit gets to bit, most labour voters will return to fold, UKIP might be popular on immigration, but economic policies would hurt working class.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    On the main interviews Miliband seems to be want to avoid debating anything to do with Europe even though we have a European elections coming and turned everything to his cost of living theme which is part of Labour's General Election campaign.

In a strange quirk of nature a lacuna morphed on Christmas Eve 1969 and took the appearance of a human being.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,097
    Forum Member
    As for the mini debate... Ed did well I felt. Far better than Nick Clegg did. But it's unclear if it was perhaps a stunt and Ed was advised to do it or if Ed genuinely is up for debating. Nigel probably wasn't prepared for it.

Ed made it personal very quickly with his "You are the heir to Thatcher" remark. Which is the same mistake all the main parties are making and did him no favours at all. Otherwise Ed actually came across reasonably okay in the Marr interview itself but Farage made him look daft without having to say too much.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Nigel got a bit flustered when Andrew asked him why someone wouldn't want Romanians living next door.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Nigel got a bit flustered when Andrew asked him why someone wouldn't want Romanians living next door.

I thought he handled that fine considering Marr was quoting a press headline twisting something that Farage had said. He clarified his comment and provided the context and the point he was making made sense to me
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Miliband's insistance in trying to get the cost of living into everything is starting to look very silly, particularly when the question is absolutely nothing to do with that at all as was the case with Marr's first question this morning. If you stopped him in the street and asked if he could tell you the time I'm sure his reply would be 'Ah, I know that isn't really what you're concerned about, it's the cost of living crisis'.

Despite being asked about something else the first words out of his mouth were "cost of living crisis".

He did sound silly because he was being asked about the EU elections.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought he handled that fine considering Marr was quoting a press headline twisting something that Farage had said. He clarified his comment and provided the context and the point he was making made sense to me

I agree.:)
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Despite being asked about something else the first words out of his mouth were "cost of living crisis".

He did sound silly because he was being asked about the EU elections.

Even Farage confronted him directly and pulled him up on it. Still nothing though.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he handled it better than Clegg.
    when clegg and Farage meet you almost expect Clegg to produce Holy Water and shout " the power of Christ compels you" (if he wasn't an atheist)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posters have criticised Milliband for talking too much about 'cost of living', but why wouldn't he, there are council elections in england, that is important for many people, he only has a few minutes on show, he like any politician will concentrate on his strongest message, like Farage on immigration. In fact why is Farage rarely questioned on his economic views?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zimmie wrote: »
    Posters have criticised Milliband for talking too much about 'cost of living', but why wouldn't he, there are council elections in england, that is important for many people, he only has a few minutes on show, he like any politician will concentrate on his strongest message, like Farage on immigration. In fact why is Farage rarely questioned on his economic views?

He keeps mentioning the "cost of living" thing but I've yet to hear him say anything about what he would do about it. Just how is he going to put more money into my pocket each month?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting.. two out of the three media people on SP think Cameron will be PM after the next Election. Only one thinks EM will sneak it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farage is relaxed, confident, personable, articulate, comfortable in his own skin and answers all questions directly. Everything in fact, that Miliband is not and does not.

Seeing the two of them together today was very illuminating.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.. two out of the three media people on SP think Cameron will be PM after the next Election. Only one thinks EM will sneak it.

I find it impossible to believe that Miliband could become Prime Minister. He does have the boundary issue on his side and it will depend if the Conservative voters return from UKIP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Farage is relaxed, confident, personable, articulate, comfortable in his own skin and answers all questions directly. Everything in fact, that Miliband is not and does not.

Seeing the two of them together today was very illuminating.
    No he didn't , he did not answer all direct questions, you must have been looking at a different interview than me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    If the left think that voting for UKIP is lunacy, then how does that differ voting for a party with an drip like Miliband running the show?
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    I find it impossible to believe that Miliband could become Prime Minister. He does have the boundary issue on his side and it will depend if the Conservative voters return from UKIP.

Not to mention that regardless of how poor Miliband is at being a leader, millions of people hate Cameron more than they hate him.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On iPlayer now if anyone wants to watch it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b043bpq8/?t=21m46s
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    Not to mention that regardless of how poor Miliband is at being a leader, millions of people hate Cameron more than they hate him.

Thats a guess not a fact.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Ed loves his cost of living crisis - but he misses the elephant in the room.

If you have increasing demand for something - but the same supply - then the cost of it goes up, you have to ration it or you just end up with overcrowding.

When he complains about high rents, high energy prices, housing shortages, water rates going up, NHS waiting list - he totally ignores the fact that if you have more people in the country this will lead to price rises/less services per head. Its very odd therefore that Labour completely ignores how the rise of up to 10 million in our population between 1997 and 2010 has caused the cost of living crisis/lower wages.

Its supply and demand Ed - geddit? You can cap prices - but yfar better to increase supply or cut demand. The latter is far easier - leave the EU!