Options

Idle thought: The timing of the New Doctor announcement..

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking about the timing of the New Doctor announcement, as it's fairly unusual to do so this far ahead of his proposed first appearance.
It occured to me: What if David Tennant's back injury is worse than we've been told or it's not healing quickly enough?
If the shooting schedule was in peril, would they pull a sneaky regeneration on us now, dropping DT and introducing the new Doctor now?!!

Just a thought ....

Comments

• Options
    hankmoodyhankmoody Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's plausible I suppose. I've had moments where I've thought David's acting to be a little OTT, but he can be a wonderful actor and I'd never dream of wishing him any harm. I do hope he gets better soon, in the spirit of that statement.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    I was thinking about the timing of the New Doctor announcement, as it's fairly unusual to do so this far ahead of his proposed first appearance.
    It occured to me: What if David Tennant's back injury is worse than we've been told or it's not healing quickly enough?
    If the shooting schedule was in peril, would they pull a sneaky regeneration on us now, dropping DT and introducing the new Doctor now?!!

Just a thought ....

interesting theory
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I've been thinking the same thing, but it would be a bit of a gamble having a new unestablished Doctor in the specials then having the viewer wait months before the next special. The weekly series format would suit the introduction of a new Doctor better than the specials. But in all honesty, I don't really care who it will be just as long as they are a good Doctor, to use the now well worn phrase, big shoes to fill.

But I hope DT stays for all of the specials, personally I can see the next regeneration happening in the 2009 Christmas special or the last of the specials.

But who knows?:)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wondered this as well Doggy, *sends love and much more to DT*
  • Options
    manics2003manics2003 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure filming is due to start in the summer so not that far away. I think Tennant was announced a few months before filming began.
  • Options
    JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see you're thinking positive :D-David sounded strong and recovering well in his radio interviews promoting The Next Doctor -he's bound to have the support of a stunt double if needed .I'm sure everything is fine for the specials and David's and RTD's farewell..

as for the announcement could simply be the bbc want to publish the news on their terms...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the specials are due to wrap up filming in May/June time, then series 5 hits the road in July. I'm just curious how they're gonna handle the regeneration, will it be at the very end of the specials/crossover into series 5/be near the end of the specials???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think David might just recover enough in time - remember he and the RSC are hopeful that he can get back on stage before the end of the run on the 10th and then he'll have 9 days off before Who. In Who they won't be throwing him around on his first day back.
    He'll probably have a stunt double for some of the stunts.
  • Options
    VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the timing - and manner of the announcement - has much more to do with ITV showing their first live FA cup match at the same time, personally. Otherwise, why not just announce it to BBC news this morning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VideoTapir wrote: »
    I think the timing - and manner of the announcement - has much more to do with ITV showing their first live FA cup match at the same time, personally. Otherwise, why not just announce it to BBC news this morning?

I fear you give football far too much credit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hankmoody wrote: »

I think VideoTapir has a very good point. I think you underestimate just how annoyed the BBC were to lose the rights to the FA cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redbeefy wrote: »
    I think VideoTapir has a very good point. I think you underestimate just how annoyed the BBC were to lose the rights to the FA cup.

I was rather pleased. It means I can avoid ITV like I usually do, and just continue scheming to get rid of strictly come dancing. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hankmoody wrote: »

Matt Smith was on the books of Leicester City apparently so maybe that's why the announcement is timed to coincide with the FA Cup. ;)
  • Options
    VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must admit, I thought they'd time it to clash with the first episode of Demons, but maybe that was too obvious, and they're hoping to keep viewers from the start of the evening...
  • Options
    Paul from FFPaul from FF Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason the casting is so early is will be so that they can let the merchandising companies know sufficiently early to get Eleventh Doctor products in the shops in early 2010. As soon as the name leaves the BBC, it will leak to the press. Hence, the early announcement.

The new Doctor was probably cast around the time David Tennant's departure was announced. They would have kept it quiet until after "The Next Doctor" and its repeats had aired to avoid spoiling the mystery of that story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    DT's back rehearsing with the RSC and may be back on stage tonight, so I don't think his back injury has anything to do with the announcement.
  • Options
    Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is that if the next doctor is introduced for the 09 specials, he would not have the chance to build on the role and would have trouble building a relationship with the fan base. Unless they ran the the new guy in the specials with DT, sort of an extended regeneration with the new guy swapping with DT at various times.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Even idler thought: -

The programme is called 'The Ten Doctors', if they're announcing the new actor, shouldn't it be called 'The Eleven Doctors'?

I think Paul McGann may be returning. ;)
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    While I don't think the theory is correct about DT leaving early, I do think a new Doctor could be introduced successfully in the specials instead of a weekly series. It worked well enough for David Tennant, and it's obviously worked just fine for many characters in movies and books with even longer gaps between appearances.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    It is a bit suspect, cos the poor guy is gonna be tormented with speculation of his uselessness a long time before he can prove his worth, but they might just be announcing it to beat the press.

I'd love to be able to find out by seeing him regenerate, but the press don't allow that anymore.
    This is the only 'surprise' we can get from finding out who it is. Tomorrow it'll be all over the papers.

Altho Daniel Craig was announced as James bond a long time before the movie was released, wouldhave been hard to hide tho
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Even idler thought: -

The programme is called 'The Ten Doctors', if they're announcing the new actor, shouldn't it be called 'The Eleven Doctors'?

I think Paul McGann may be returning. ;)

I was hoping for the same until they changed the title to "The Eleventh Doctor". :rolleyes:;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What i would like is if it's all just a big joke and David Tennant is staying on after all. Unlikely though. I can't imagine anyone else playing the doctor now. But i said that about Chris Eccleston!:D

Still excited about who it will be though.!:D
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I was hoping for the same until they changed the title to "The Eleventh Doctor". :rolleyes:;)

Really? They haven't updated the EPG on freeview or Radiotimes.com yet.
  • Options
    drmerdrmer Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Really? They haven't updated the EPG on freeview or Radiotimes.com yet.

Yep they have changed it, i spotted it on the trailer after i think BBC news at ten last night.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Maybe they could write a special regeneration clause, if the Doctor needs to sit down, stand up, talk or basically not do anything that requires physical excertion, it's Doctor Ten, but if he needs to run, jump, be hoisted by winches, fly, fight etc, he temporarily regenerates into Doctor 11 so he's able to do all that stuff, then back to 10 when it's all over! :p

Or they could get David to finally take a back seat and let the stunt men do all the work...:p