Options

Tracking down a missing relative

PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I posted a few times about my situation. My grandad was terminally ill and died on Saturday. My aunt (his daughter, mum's sister) visited about two weeks ago, maybe a week and a half ago. Think it was a Thursday.

Now none of us can get in touch with her. She's not responding to text messages or phone calls, or responding to answer phone messages. Yesterday or the day before I went to her flat, got someone to let me in, and pushed a note through her door. Her phone is still ringing which suggests it's still got battery, and after almost two weeks that probably means she's charged it at least once.

At first we were angry that she missed her dad's death and might miss his funeral, and now my mum and nana are panicking that she could be dead in the flat or in serious trouble and nobody would know.

My aunt has past history about these things. She's disappeared for a while before and just reappears after months, but I think they're particularly worried now because of the bad news she had and because it seems an odd time to just disappear. For their peace of mind more than her safety (because I'm cynical enough to presume she's drunk in a ditch somewhere) I want to track her down.

Any suggestions?
I'm going to drop in at her flat tomorrow morning around 9 and ask the residents politely if they've seen or heard her coming and going at all. I'll try her flat again if I can get in there.

As a long shot, just in case she really is in trouble, I'm going to call the hospital and police to see if they've had any dealings with her. Beyond that, I'm stuck. She lives about four miles away but I don't know any of her friends, and she doesn't work either. All I know is that a child in Year 11 at a local school calls her "aunty" because his mum is best friends with her, but I don't know her name and I don't think I can just stroll into a school and ask to see the kid for that reason...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be speak to the police and explain the circumstances. Breaking into her house may be the only option.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    The police will not mind at all going round to your aunts. They went round to see my husband (he had no phone at the time) when his gran passed away. If she has history as well I would think they would make it a priority.

Hope you are doing OK OP. It's a hard thing to go through.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I was worried that it would seem too trivial an issue to see the police about. My aunt recently had an abusive boyfriend and she drinks enough to knock out a rhino, so we keep worrying every time she goes quiet that this time might be the time she's REALLY in trouble.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The police will not mind at all. They went round to a colleague's house when he failed to turn up for work for a few days. I would give them a call now to be honest. Don't ring 999, use the non emergency number and ask for advice.
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this situation the person would be treated as a missing person and a report will be taken from you. Checks will be done, including potentially forcing entry in to the person's home if it's required.

If you have concerns about this person then it's better to contact the police sooner rather than later to get this report made.