Dave Berry on Capital London breakfast

2»

Comments

• mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ink171 wrote: »
    Did they do a cut and paste job again? ;)

No thats really what Dave Berry ssaid rather than some tired old PR hack slopping together the usual old lines.
  • old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Wright cracked a joke about Dave Berry this pm.
    Said there was an old sixties pop star on a London station..then corrected himself and said it was not the same Dave Berry.

I've had a listen. Sounds like a salesman to me. Was he one of the guys in the Dire Straits song Money for Nothing?

Watch this space at Capital.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Trust Steve Wright to be completely incapable of avoiding the anorak joke. Love the show...
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    Steve Wright cracked a joke about Dave Berry this pm.
    Said there was an old sixties pop star on a London station..then corrected himself and said it was not the same Dave Berry.

I've had a listen. Sounds like a salesman to me. Was he one of the guys in the Dire Straits song Money for Nothing?

Watch this space at Capital.

We can't name the station:rolleyes: Most outside London wouldn't really care.
  • CapitalLifeCapitalLife Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that I really care about this but I was on the bus earlier today shortly after the time that the schools finish and there were a few school kids who filled the empty seats near me at the back. I opened the Standard and read the article in there and the one next to me, having read the article over my shoulder as it were, then used a four letter expletive beginning with the 6th letter of the alphabet. He expressed his amazement at Mr Berry being the new host with similar expletives (I guess much as I did when at school) his friends concurred and then one of them said "Who else is going to be listening to Kiss then?"

The best case scenario is the numbers stay the same but the cost per listener drops a bit due to the lower salary of the new host. Or moving down the scale, Capital take a short term hit, their numbers don't suffer too badly in the long run and Ashley/Richard don't be lose too much sleep over it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I can't see Dave Berry will last as long as Tarrant. Is he good for National Breakfast? Do listeners know him outside London?

He's not getting a national show though, is he? Breakfast is London only.

I don't think there are many people who'd last as long as Tarrant. Mind you, I never though JV would have lasted 7 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I think capital should bring back graham dean for breakfast he would be a lot better also give weekend breakfast to frankie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    astrop wrote: »
    I think capital should bring back graham dean for breakfast

I'm sure a 62 year old would be bang on target :rolleyes:
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i am liking Burns and when you hear berrys voice it does make you cringe but good luck to him i guess he deserves a chance but for us dab listeners outside london i hope he dont keep going on about the city and just do a breakfast show we can all enjoy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think this negative feedback about Dave Berry is anything to worry about. Look at all the angry comments when Galaxy became Capital but people have got used to it. The only listeners they might lose are the older ones who just listen to JV and don't listen to the rest of Capital's output but they'll probably hope that they turn to Heart.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets see if Capital can hold onto Breakfast over Magic and Heart by the middle of 2012!!!
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i am liking Burns and when you hear berrys voice it does make you cringe but good luck to him i guess he deserves a chance but for us dab listeners outside london i hope he dont keep going on about the city and just do a breakfast show we can all enjoy.

Er, 95.8 is a London station :rolleyes:. Should they ignore that just to take into account DAB listeners outside of London?
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this negative feedback about Dave Berry is anything to worry about. Look at all the angry comments when Galaxy became Capital but people have got used to it. The only listeners they might lose are the older ones who just listen to JV and don't listen to the rest of Capital's output but they'll probably hope that they turn to Heart.
    It's not the fact Johnny has left. If the Capital management thought they needed change to refresh the breakfast show, fair enough. It was the way they decided to cut the cord so quickly, half of the comments are "where has Johnny gone?". It is disrespectful they didnt give Johnny a chance to say goodbye.

I'm sure this will work in Radio 1's favour. I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to Dave Berry's droney voice.
  • Already In UseAlready In Use Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I don't fall into the 18-35 category that Capital is aimed at,but I like modern music and every time I try anything else,it makes me feel so old,I move back again. I loved JV ,but he was beginning to get on my nerves and could be very childish at times and he and Lisa seemed to vie for who could be the loudest in the end! Dave Berry and Lisa were great and I love his weekend show,so I for one am looking forward to him taking over. Though to be fair,Greg Burns has done a great job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hotmat3k wrote:
    It's not the fact Johnny has left. If the Capital management thought they needed change to refresh the breakfast show, fair enough. It was the way they decided to cut the cord so quickly, half of the comments are "where has Johnny gone?". It is disrespectful they didnt give Johnny a chance to say goodbye.

Yes I take your point and it does seem strange how Johnny was bundled out the door so quickly and any mention of him on-air appears to have been banned. Still a lot of listeners are fickle and Johnny will soon be forgotten by many once Dave Berry has been on air a few weeks.

Regarding the change from Galaxy to Capital, remember that people were warned 'Capital Is Coming' for a couple of months before the big change occurred and yet people were still moaning on Facebook that the change had happened 'without any warning'.
    Forum Member
    Capital's target audience in Lndon really won't care about JV leaving. But it will be important that they warm to Dave Berry as a breakfast host. If the figures are adversely affected for the next two quarters, Capital's management may have cause for concern. Doubtless they will be monitoring the figures closely.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll make an ideal competitor for Moyles, being a similarly lairy chav.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote:
    He'll make an ideal competitor for Moyles, being a similarly lairy chav.

Actually they're both very intelligent men, not chavs :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Don't worry Galaxy. Trev is out of the target audience for both, as am I. And, ironically, a is Moyles. Thankfully Moyles is a hugely intelligent guy with good business sesnse and an ear for the market.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Vaughn was promoted with the "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner that I've joined Capital" song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgqSkPtx2iA complete with dancing roadsweepers in a Mary Porpins stylee
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Vaughn was promoted with the "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner that I've joined Capital" song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgqSkPtx2iA complete with dancing roadsweepers in a Mary Porpins stylee

Bearing in mind the station's national focus perhaps he should now do a spoof YouTube video with the punchline: "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner that I've left Capital"