Options

What happened with Paul McCartney?

Comments

• Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Macca wasn't up to it. Same as his daughter wasn't up to designing the ridiculous 'fries with that' uniforms!

So I had a think about alternatives and I came up with 2 that I'd have quite enjoyed and that the crowd could have sung along to.

In second place: Blur with Song Number 2 - I'd have liked to hear the stadium belting out WooHoo until they got bored with it

In first place: (purely a personal dream this one) stadium goes dark and the instantly recognisable guitar intro to Sweet Child of Mine rings out - spotlight, top hat, leather trousers and it's Slash from Stoke with a band of UK rockers to give out a belting rendition (OK, original GnR would be better but even I have to accept that they're not Brits!!) with the crowd and athletes all singing along to a lovely extended version.

Neither have sod all to do with the Olympics but neither does Hey Jude..

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    He was and is absolute crap.

All the brown wigs and face lifts in the world will not detract from the fact that he can not sing in tune.

Lennon was the genius and Harrison wasn't far behind him.

Nonsense

Sgt Pepper concept = Paul's idea
    Abbey Road medley = Paul's idea
    Sound effects and loops in Tomorrow Never Knows = Paul's idea
    Plus Paul was the one that got John to write songs in the first place and start recording again in 1980
  • Options
    Speed_KingSpeed_King Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Becks=Past it
    Redgrave=Past it
    McCartney=Past it
    Industrial Revolution=In the past
    Red Arrows=Fly Pas(t)
    The Queen=Past it.

McCartney deliberately sung rubbish to fit in with the theme of the opening ceremony.:(
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We got through the Mc Cartney bit by singing it all louder than he did. We were merry by then, anywyay.
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't notice anything, I'm surprised people pick up on all these things. I was very tired though. Was it really that bad? I remember listening to the Arctic Monkey's first song and I thought that was poor but can't really recall McCartney's song other than him getting the crowd to sing along..
  • Options
    MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    We got through the Mc Cartney bit by singing it all louder than he did. We were merry by then, anywyay.

My whole family were cringing, so we all sung it and drowned him out. We probably sounded worse, but we didn't care. :D
  • Options
    RockyRaccoon68RockyRaccoon68 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    Same as his daughter wasn't up to designing the ridiculous 'fries with that' uniforms!

Her Twitter account was very quick to point out she didn't design those!! I wonder why! :p
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    steviem wrote: »
    The short answer is.... he was shit.

Couldn't have put it better myself, that's when I went to bed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    He has a history of fuc*ing up events like this. LiveAid, Jubilee etc etc

Ahem. The Live Aid organisers didn't mike him and his piano properly for this. They profusely apologised for this, as Paul had kept asking about mikes and sound, weeks before the event.
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,773
    Forum Member
    He should have picked a song whose notes he's still capable of hitting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is complete and utter rubbish. Unfortunately dire performances like the one last night allow people to hold that view but I would put money on you not knowing the vast majority of his post-Beatles work, particularly the last 15 years or so.

He didn't lose his sense of melody once 1970 hit and I would argue he was at the height of his powers in 1976 on the Wings Over America tour.

To dismiss 35 years worth of work is ridiculous.

Agree, It's just so tired and lame to say all he has ever done is the Frog Chorus. It's boring! These performances are doing him no favours and I agree it's time for him to retire from these big events. Pass the baton on. But it's just really uneducated to say he hasn't done anything for 35 yrs, just because you don't know his back catalogue.
    But a problem with sound and backing tracks proved at least he is the conssumate professional and worked hard to get the song back in time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glow4life wrote: »
    glad to see i'm not the only one who thought he was dreadful, thought it was just me getting old!::

He was pants at the Jubilee concert, why in hell they got him out a second time is beyond me.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lisalou7 wrote: »

Problem is that they're quite rubbish as well.

He is , for me, so twee and uninspiring in his music , its beyond belief.

He and John were good counterbalances to each other, without that balance he's just a silly love song merchant. IMHO
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    his bus pass should get him to a retirement home.

"i used to be in the beatles you know ......."

"yes dear now eat your tea".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    He's never been a great singer and has been horribly past it for 40 years. Sad when people don't know when to quit.
  • Options
    RockyRaccoon68RockyRaccoon68 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    jdn90 wrote: »
    He's never been a great singer and has been horribly past it for 40 years. Sad when people don't know when to quit.

Nonsense, he was one of the greatest singers of our time. Hugely hugely hugely underrated as a singer!!

Even with a bad performance THIS is the power of Paul McCartney and The Beatles, all these years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAfhSvNBHoA

Haters gonna hate but do these people wish he hadn't showed up? Do these people want him to retire?
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was absolutely awful - a national embarrassment actually. He'll probably always be remembered for that last night, and rightly so - instead of retiring gracefully, these people just can't seem to let go.

Sir Elton John or Dame Shirley Bassey would have been sooo much better.

Nah-nah-nah-nah went on for far too long aswell... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Lennon is often quoted as The Leader of the Beatles (usually by Yoko Ono), but after 1966 his interest diminished. The ideas for most if not all of the albums were Paul's ideas - even The Magical Mystery Tour was his idea. John wanted out of the Beatles and his love for Yoko gave him a new focus. As one of Lennon's friends said, he went into a toilet, locked the door and yelled "I don't want to be a Beatle!"
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    Well to be pedantic 1976 was 36 years ago.

Also I can dismiss 35 years of work when I consider it maudlin simplistic dross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0fuVoSa3dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgUPxgqnfA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5626WzsfMw

The fact is that Paul McCartney has got more musical talent in his little fingernail than Dylan Mills (D.Rascal) has got in his entire body for one example.
    There have been some outstanding solo efforts in the past 35 years, even without Wings.

Pipes Of Peace, a UK No1.
    Ebony & Ivory, with Stevie W, another UK No1.
    Coming Up, a UK No2.
    No More Lonely Nights, a UK No2.
    Waterfalls, a UK No9.
    Take It Away, a UK No15.

Say Say Say with Jacko, a UK No2.
    The Girl Is Mine with Jacko, a UK No8.

Let 'Em In, with Wings, a UK No2.
    Silly Love Songs, with Wings, another UK No2.
    With A Little Luck, with Wings, a UK No5.

Oh, and just the biggest selling single of all time between 1977 and 1984 with Mull Of Kintyre, bigger than any Beatles hit.

Not to mention the albums, and soundtracks, and plenty more I've likely missed out, and album tracks that are likely great that I've not heard.

If you are over 30 then I will be amazed!

Anyway, you mention "simplistic dross". Well some of the greatest music, and best tunes, longest living in the memory are the ones created from simplicity.

From such a massive catalogue of fab songs I just wish Sir Paul would vary it a bit at these events. He had songs that were quite appropriate to the Olympic ideal, such as Ebony & Ivory, his old duet with Stevie Wonder.

Eggshell, your post was a bad yoke! :o
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Paul McCantsing :p
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The fact is that Paul McCartney has got more musical talent in his little fingernail than Dylan Mills (D.Rascal) has got in his entire body for one example.
    There have been some outstanding solo efforts in the past 35 years, even without Wings.

Pipes Of Peace, a UK No1.
    Ebony & Ivory, with Stevie W, another UK No1.
    Coming Up, a UK No2.
    No More Lonely Nights, a UK No2.
    Waterfalls, a UK No9.
    Take It Away, a UK No15.

Say Say Say with Jacko, a UK No2.
    The Girl Is Mine with Jacko, a UK No8.

Let 'Em In, with Wings, a UK No2.
    Silly Love Songs, with Wings, another UK No2.
    With A Little Luck, with Wings, a UK No5.

Oh, and just the biggest selling single of all time between 1977 and 1984 with Mull Of Kintyre, bigger than any Beatles hit.

Not to mention the albums, and soundtracks, and plenty more I've likely missed out, and album tracks that are likely great that I've not heard.

If you are over 30 then I will be amazed!

Anyway, you mention "simplistic dross". Well some of the greatest music, and best tunes, longest living in the memory are the ones created from simplicity.

From such a massive catalogue of fab songs I just wish Sir Paul would vary it a bit at these events. He had songs that were quite appropriate to the Olympic ideal, such as Ebony & Ivory, his old duet with Stevie Wonder.

Eggshell, your post was a bad yoke! :o

Very good list, but this is all from when he could still sing properly.
  • Options
    DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Being No.1 is no guarantee of quality.

Witness:

"I should be so lucky" - 1988. UK No.1 for 5 weeks.

I'm a huge Beatles fan but a lot of McCartney's output post 1970 was mediocre, to say the least. Even most of the songs on the "All the best" compendium are hummable little ditties but leave little impression. But then so was Lennon's. I haven't heard enough of Harrison's or Starr's solo work to comment on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    In an alternate world, the United States had these Olympics, and there's a thread online 'What happened with Bob Dylan?'

And he didn't have of a voice to start with... :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Very good list, but this is all from when he could still sing properly.

I bet if you went to a small venue with just a couple of hundred people he would sound fantastic. These huge shindigs, that the artist only has a 3 minute bit part in, are always going to be a bit rough at the edges, for almost anybody, except the late Freddie Mercury maybe!