Options

The friendship of Carla and Hayley.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,527
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This Hayley storyline is rather bittersweet. She's one of the best Corrie characters in a very long time and it'll be sad to see her go but I'm already loving how the cancer storyline is developing in regards to her relationship with Carla.

Ali King is another great actress and it's always nice to see her softer side. I'm sure we'll have more touching Carla/Hayley scenes before Hayley bows out. I suppose that's one thing to look forward to regarding her exit.

(And of course the Hayley/Sylvia relationship is wonderful too)

Comments

• Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely agree. They have a very special friendship that is absolutely wonderful to watch - I really loved their scenes together on Monday. Like you said, the storyline is bittersweet because Corrie is losing a very special character so it will be heartbreaking but the story will be beautifully told and the acting will be exceptional. I have no doubt about that.

In recent interviews, Alison King and Julie Hesmondhalgh talked about how much they enjoy working together and they both seem to genuinely love Carla and Hayley's friendship as much as viewers do. So fingers crossed they will have more scenes together throughout this very moving story.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Its amazing really, who would have thought these two would be friends, but they have a huge respect for each other.
    I don't think I will ever forget that scene in the factory when Hayley broke down and when Carla realised what this meant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "it's just yack yack yack with you int' it Cropper?!":D
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the other night at the start of the episode Hayley was still calling her Mrs Connor, but by the end of the ep she was calling her Carla.
    That was a lovely touch I thought, it fair brought a lump to my throat.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of when Sally told Carla about her cancer
  • Options
    JonNgogJonNgog Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Carla is ageing brilliantly as a character.. like a fine wine imo. The scenes with Carla and Hayley have always been watchable but have been quite superb lately.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Willis wrote: »

:D

Good to see Carla's nice side. If she keeps that up, I may get to like her!:D
  • Options
    Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved their scenes this week - from Carla knowing she has a reputation, to Hayley asking her to live up to it: it was all great viewing. I too noticed the change from Mrs. Connor to Carla, and put it down to Hayley knowing the difference in relationship based on the situation - a work conversation vs two friends talking.

With this and all of the Deirdre friendship starting, Carla could be heading in the right direction. I ca see Alison King staying forever, so maybe she's the new Rita? lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Sometimes Corrie can set up these unlikely friendships, but if you analyse the characters it is very understandable why Hayley means so much to Carla. She has been a devoted and hardworking employee, she is a completely lovable person, and most of all Carla's relationships with a lot of other women have been defined by Alpha female type conflicts and jealousies over men and power. Hayley is completely unthreatening to Carla. Alison King has done a great job here, it has been great to watch her character turn into something far more complex and nuanced. Julie Hesmondhalgh is fantastic always, I will be really interested to see her future work! :)
  • Options
    RiverMRiverM Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's no secret that i'm always left so completely mesmerized by Carla Connor/Alison King. she absolutely divine in many ways possible and such a unbelievable actress. Julie Hes also is a brilliant actress and they have such a sweet on/off screen friendship that shines through when they are in scenes together.

one of my favourite friendships on soap atm :)
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    Another good line on Friday: "Will you behave? I can see I'm gonna have to ban you from that factory." :D
  • Options
    Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OneK wrote: »
    This Hayley storyline is rather bittersweet. She's one of the best Corrie characters in a very long time and it'll be sad to see her go but I'm already loving how the cancer storyline is developing in regards to her relationship with Carla.

Ali King is another great actress and it's always nice to see her softer side. I'm sure we'll have more touching Carla/Hayley scenes before Hayley bows out. I suppose that's one thing to look forward to regarding her exit.

(And of course the Hayley/Sylvia relationship is wonderful too)

Her name is Alison

You dont know her so have no right to call her Ali
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good line on Friday: "Will you behave? I can see I'm gonna have to ban you from that factory." :D

:D:D:D

The Carla and Hayley scenes have been brilliant.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her name is Alison

How do you know the poster does not know her?
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her name is Alison

My name is Alison but people call me Ali, it's just a shortening of the name that's all.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her name is Alison

Maybe if you stop making fake Photoshopped images, passing them off as real and quoting Twitter as the source, people would feel more inclined to listen to you. :)

Until then, I for one will continue to call her Ali as much as I want. :)
  • Options
    RiverMRiverM Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she sure doesn't mind people calling her ali, most people do and that's what she calls herself
  • Options
    Clare D13Clare D13 Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Her name is Alison

You really need to get out more.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I love the unlikely friendship of Carla and Hayley.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Carla and Hayley's friendship is lovely. It is so unusual but works so well. It was especially sad when Carla broke down in Peter's arms deeply breaking inside but not wanting to show it, it was such beautifully written and Alison King's acting made the scene 10x better. You can clearly see how much they care about one another and I hope Carla is going to continue to be involved in Hayley's exit as they have such a beautiful friendship and both fantastic actresses.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't know what else to say but yes, I agree about Carla and Hayley having a fantastic friendship and how brilliant both actresses have been with this storyline.

Hayley is going to be a big loss for the show and I rarely think that way about characters, even ones I enjoy but losing Hayley will be very sad.
  • Options
    Corrie2010Corrie2010 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like also a depressing year for Carla now that her friend is going to die and peter will cheat on her around that time :(
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is truly lovely to see they both have huge respect for each other and the acting is great to see. Haley is one of those characters that you don't realise how good she is until now she is going imo anyway. She will be a huge loss to the show and can't imagine Corrie without her.:(
  • Options
    Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may hate a lot of what Stuart Blackburn and the writers in general have done lately, but this cancer storyline, and the Carla/Hayley friendship especially, is one thing I am thankful to them for. They've always had this wonderful, mostly unspoken respect and understanding for each other, and I was worried that amongst everyone else rallying to help Hayley, Carla would be forgotten about, but I've been pleasantly surprised by all these wonderful scenes we've had lately. Long may they continue!
  • Options
    boxer1988boxer1988 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holz_ wrote: »
    I may hate a lot of what Stuart Blackburn and the writers in general have done lately, but this cancer storyline, and the Carla/Hayley friendship especially, is one thing I am thankful to them for. They've always had this wonderful, mostly unspoken respect and understanding for each other, and I was worried that amongst everyone else rallying to help Hayley, Carla would be forgotten about, but I've been pleasantly surprised by all these wonderful scenes we've had lately. Long may they continue!

Well said. It really is a very special friendship that the other soaps can only dream of. Julie Hes and Alison King are superb and they evidently have a wonderful rapport with each other.
    I noticed that Julie has been enjoying the fan made videos of their friendship that people are sending her on twitter https://twitter.com/juliehes/status/360332549794430976.