320GB to 1TB: Personal Storage vs On Demand

Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there.

I upgraded my hard drive from a 320GB drive to a 1TB drive, and let the box do the formatting, and I was wondering if someone knows how much this set up gives you in regards to Personal Storage and On Demand storage?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Hi there.
    I upgraded my hard drive from a 320GB drive to a 1TB drive, and let the box do the formatting, and I was wondering if someone knows how much this set up gives you in regards to Personal Storage and On Demand storage?
    Many thanks.
    I assume you have a DRX890 box.
    They didn't used to format 1TB drives to full capacity, but I believe that they now do with the latest software.
    If that is the case you should have 750GB for personal use and 250GB reserved by Sky.
    :)
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Educated guess - 160gb reserved space/840gb personal space (including on demand).
    Forum Member
    Oops, yes, a DRX890 would have had a 500GB drive!
    :o
    I didn't think that Pace/Samsung boxes could format 1TB drives to full capacity.
  • Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, the box I actually have is a DRX780UK-C if that helps.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, the box I actually have is a DRX780UK-C if that helps.

The above model has a 320gb hdd I believe, 160gb reserved space/160gb personal space, pretty sure the box would format the new drive @ 160gb reserved space/840 personal space.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    The above model has a 320gb hdd I believe, 160gb reserved space/160gb personal space, pretty sure the box would format the new drive @ 160gb reserved space/840 personal space.

Would that box recognise a 1TB drive though, i thought that only the newer 890 would do that, and therefore would format at 160/160, with the rest of the space lost?
    Forum Member
    Would that box recognise a 1TB drive though, i thought that only the newer 890 would do that, and therefore would format at 160/160, with the rest of the space lost?

You could be right, I said my guess was an educated one. :D

Looks like the op needs to use copy+ to get full use of drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    The box should have formatted to the full 1TB unless something has changed recently. The limit for formatting on all of the HD boxes with Linux-based software is 1TB (although the DRX890/5 apparently can now format up to 2TB). By formatting using ExPVR (copy+ does not work with the Linux-based boxes), all of them can support drives up to 2TB.

Deacon is right in saying that the reserved space will stay the same (giving ~840GB user space).
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With the old OpenTV middleware the old boxes would only format a drive to 502GB max, IIRC.
  • Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hard drive was recognised but there is no way in actually testing it until my subscription becomes active tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still run out of space with the official 1TB box. Never enough space.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,499
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I still run out of space with the official 1TB box. Never enough space.

How? - a PVR is for short term time shifting, you're supposed to record it, watch it, then delete it.

If you're using it for long term storage it's going to be a bad day when the HDD fails :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How? - a PVR is for short term time shifting, you're supposed to record it, watch it, then delete it.

If you're using it for long term storage it's going to be a bad day when the HDD fails :p

I have lots of HD content which I wish to keep, but have no way of transferring it onto blu-ray or another storage medium. So its stuck on the box.

FIlms which are broadcast in HD but not available on blu-ray for example.
    Forum Member
    I have lots of HD content which I wish to keep, but have no way of transferring it onto blu-ray or another storage medium. So its stuck on the box.

So you'll lose them all when the HDD dies :cry:

However, it's NOT what PVR's are meant for, and you're not supposed to be keeping long term copies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member

If your willing to spend some money you can transfer the HD recordings off the drive.

I did this recently when I purchased a load of Blu Ray Dvd's from a closing HMV and didn't know how to rip them on to my XBMC pc easily.

So using a combo of HDFury 2 and a hauppauge hd pvr I got a digital copy I had recorded from the sky HD movie channels. Only problem is the copying happens in real time much like when we used to record on to video tapes.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, it's NOT what PVR's are meant for, and you're not supposed to be keeping long term copies.
    They're not designed to do that because of the limited space and the fact that you need a subscription to view the recordings but you can do what you want.
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    They're not designed to do that because of the limited space and the fact that you need a subscription to view the recordings but you can do what you want.

I don't believe so, you're 'allowed' to make short term copies for time shifting, not to make permanent copies for your own use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean there's something in the Sky T&Cs saying you're not allowed to keep recordings beyond a certain time? I doubt that.
    Forum Member
    This is another issue that keeps on being discussed here over and over again. You'll find several old threads about it.
    IIRC as the law stands now (it's been amended a few times over the years) it's perfectly legal to record material solely for your own personal use, and there is no regulation that says you're supposed to delete it after any fixed time.
    Forum Member
    You mean there's something in the Sky T&Cs saying you're not allowed to keep recordings beyond a certain time? I doubt that.

Nothing to do with Sky, but to do with what the rights holders want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they want is irrelevant. :)
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    Keeping a long term copy is no different to downloading copyrighted material on bit torrent.

A lot of people think one is legal whilst the other is illegal. Technically neither is illegal :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, a lot of people confuse copyright infringement with theft, including the corporations and their threatening adverts. Wish someone would call them on it like, I dunno, the ASA.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    This is another issue that keeps on being discussed here over and over again. You'll find several old threads about it.
    IIRC as the law stands now (it's been amended a few times over the years) it's perfectly legal to record material solely for your own personal use, and there is no regulation that says you're supposed to delete it after any fixed time.
    True, a lot of people confuse copyright infringement with theft, including the corporations and their threatening adverts. Wish someone would call them on it like, I dunno, the ASA.
    I suggest you actually read the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (last amended 2009 - http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law before spouting forth on what you think it says.

The only legal recording of broadcasts is for "timeshift" and NOT for archiving
    Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as "time shifting".
    . The length of that convenient time has not yet been defined in any court action however.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    But its not illegal because you are not breaking criminal law, you are breaking civil law