Options

Worried about one of my dogs

Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
Forum Member
I have (well, they belong to my ex) two chihuahua dogs, both are three but at different times of the year.

Recently the eldest one of the two has started wandering off and I catch him on the stairs doing this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153240891200068&l=6403007287913303504 (should hopefully link to a 16 second video!)

I havent got a clue what is up with him. He also keeps scratching and licking his hind legs at every available opportunity. At first I thought he might have fleas but gave him an extra dose and he is fine. I gave him his worming tablet last night as someone suggested it could be worms.

The other dog keeps trying to hump him, which is obviously perturbing as they are both male!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    66 people have viewed and no reply which is fine, but can one of you at least confirm you can see the video? Not sure if I have my privacy settings right!!!!
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anal glands is my first thought, pop along to the vet and ask to have them check if he needs them emptying. If the vet shows you how you can do it yourself if it happens again but be prepared it's a smelly business !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm. My lodger thinks it could be that too. Might have to take him at the weekend.

EDIT - booked in for 6.15 tomorrow evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck if it's that it's a quick easy thing to sort out. Just very very smelly !
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    could be his anal glands though most dogs I have seen choose to normally drag their butts along the floor.

Be careful with administering flea stuff to your dog as it is effectively a poison so giving an extra dose is not ideal especially with small dogs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    could be his anal glands though most dogs I have seen choose to normally drag their butts along the floor.

Not to the extent he is doing it though, he is leaving the room to go and sit on the stairs and do what he is doing in the video. He is crying whilst doing it sometimes :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    definitely sounds like anal glands to me (although the use of the stairs is a new one!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not to the extent he is doing it though, he is leaving the room to go and sit on the stairs and do what he is doing in the video. He is crying whilst doing it sometimes :mad:

So you don't know what it is yet you know to what extent dogs that need their anal glands emptying perform said function, very strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you don't know what it is yet you know to what extent dogs that need their anal glands emptying perform said function, very strange.

I did some Googling after starting the OP, plus someone text me after seeing the video I sent them saying it could be that.

Anything else, James Herriot?

I was clearly referring to the suggestion that dogs usually drag their butts on the floor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The glands can become impacted which causes pain, might be why he cries out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did some Googling after starting the OP, plus someone text me after seeing the video I sent them saying it could be that.

Anything else, James Herriot?

I was clearly referring to the suggestion that dogs usually drag their butts on the floor.

which is correct most dogs with anal glands problems drag their butts along the floor, I have personally never seen the stair thing. Perhaps its a small dog thing that they can get away with it bigger dogs would fall down the stairs

Not james Herriot you asked for advice then comment like you are an expert.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan never dragged his bum he used to rub against the end of the sofa. Think smaller dogs use whatever means is more comfy for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    which is correct most dogs with anal glands problems drag their butts along the floor, I have personally never seen the stair thing. Perhaps its a small dog thing that they can get away with it bigger dogs would fall down the stairs

Not james Herriot you asked for advice then comment like you are an expert.

Err, no.

You said:

So I said:
    Not to the extent he is doing it though,:

He never drags his butt across the floor.

Are we clear now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no its not any clearer, I didn't mention frequency at all!

I said I have never seen the stair thing and butt dragging on floor is common
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no its not any clearer, I didn't mention frequency at all!

I said I have never seen the stair thing and butt dragging on floor is common

You said "normally", like it was common practice for a dog to drag his ass across the floor. I obviously misread that as you indicating it was normal day to day behaviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You said "normally", like it was common practice.

The dog in the vid has never, ever exhibited that behaviour.

it is common practice in dogs and cats for them to drag their butts across the floor with worm problems or anal gland issues, I admitted I had never seen the stair thing and how on earth would I know what your dog does
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well he went to the vets after work and the vet squeezed a load of awful looking stuff from him.

Got him home and he is still behaving the same! He got a load out so why is he still doing it? :(
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they'll likely still be inflamed and sore.

if it continues, go back to the vet as he could have an infection.

what another member said re: flea treatments, so long as they're not applied more frequently than once a week they are generally considered safe, so long as you're using the correct dose pipettes for the animals weight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He said it looked infected so he has an injection. It could be that it hasn't done its magic yet?

Vet is ringing me back once he gets in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Been told to give it until Monday and to take him back in should he still be acting the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you think about it, it would be quite sore I imagine and he won't know how to make himself feel better other than seeking relief as he has been doing.

Hope he recovers quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well he is still acting the same :( so booked back in with him at half five this afternoon.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I've had chihuahuas for 18 years now and will try and help.

Licking his bum and that area or itching the belly, digging at the bum area with their mouth and dragging their bum along the floor mean their anal glands need emptying. They can have one, 2 or all of those symptoms. Also when they are really full they are painful and you may see him struggle to poo and or have thin poos. My chi Tillie has a problem with her anal glands and has them emptied every 7 weeks. Even though they have been emptied for a good for weeks after she will still be irritated there and drag her bum along the floor.

When the glands become so full they are very painful, Tillie had a massive abcess once and it had to be sliced open and drained.

The bum thing across the floor isn't an everyday thing. You may notice now and again he does it. I noticed Tillie do it once yesterday. You may find that he has an anal gland problem like Tillie if it happens again. You need to know the signs and symptoms and just get them emptied on a regular basis. I actually found a lovely dog groomer who does it plus her nails for £6 each time. I got to know how long to wait in between each emptying before she starts getting bad again and that's 7 weeks for her.

He may still be in a bit of pain plus have infection. Sometimes they need to be flushed out and have a course of antibiotics to get them back on track. I would think he would need more than the one off 24 hour antibiotic injection. He should really have a course of antibiotics at home if the vet says it was infected. Tillie had that and she had the injection then a course of tablets and was ok after that. Then I just kept on top of it before it got to that stage again.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my dogs has an anal gland problem. Its not a bad problem, but I notice every couple of months or so that she starts licking her bum more. I take her to the vets and they empty it for me while clipping her nails. It costs me £14
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I think it may be that its still sore so he's continuing the behaviour to try and releave it. its like a bug bite, the itching makes it feel better but as soon as you stop it itches again, although they've been emptied, the 'itch' (or ache in this case) is probably still there!