Options

tv/monitor ?

trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
Forum Member
✭✭
does anyone use a monitor for their games console instead of a tv ? ,,,,, and if so ,what are the benefits over a tv and which one would you recommend ? ,,,,,,, ive read that ips panels are the best ???

Comments

• Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I use a monitor for my PS3, but at the moment that's connected via a composite cable to a video digitiser running through my PC and then I use the "live view" option to play my PS3. The only comment I can make is colours looking a little washed out, but that's purely down to the set-up and the fact it's running in fast mode so there's no lag and I'm not seeing that car a second after I smash into it.

I did originally consider using a converter to convert the PS3's HDMI signal to DVI and then running it through a switcher to my monitor, and it seemed crisp enough when I did it, but no more than a PC display and I also had an issue with a lack of sound.

IPS panels (if you're on about the ones used in mobile phones and tablets) show a consistent image regardless of viewing angle, and yes they are clearer, but they tend to be more expensive than normal ones and I think they also require a fair bit more power.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers m8ty ,,,,, ive put the same question to the gaming forum too ,,,,,

currently using a 22 inch tv for bedroom pc , in an alcove shelf unit , and theres definitely room for a bigger display ,,,,,, so want the best within my price range 300 max
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should ask for this thread to be moved to one of the techy forums as you'll have more luck. Besides it's against forum rules to make duplicate threads asking the same question across several fora.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    does anyone use a monitor for their games console instead of a tv ? ,,,,, and if so ,what are the benefits over a tv and which one would you recommend ? ,,,,,,, ive read that ips panels are the best ???

Depends on the telly and your intended usage.

My telly, for example, claims to be "1080p HD" but, for some reason (best known only to the manufacturers) the maximum resolution it'll work at when I plug a PC into it is summat like 1440 x 900.

Course, it could be argued that, despite being a lower resolution, you still get a better gaming experience simply cos you're getting to blow shit up on a 42" screen rather than on a PC monitor.

A mate of mine, OTOH, used to have a PC in his spare room but, when it blew up, he replaced it with an xbox which fulfills exactly the same role the PC used to.
    It gets used (with a keyboard & mouse) for internetting and also used for gaming.
    In his case, he prefers to use it with a monitor cos he likes to have a proper "gaming station" to play games rather than sitting on his couch in the living room.

Personally, I think resolution is over-rated for gaming.
    It's really only important when you're using sensible software that you need massively high resolutions to see small things clearly.
    For gaming, screen refresh rate and the power of your gfx hardware is the most important thing cos that's what creates a smooth, seamless, gaming experience.
    That being the case, I'd always go for a lower resolution big screen over a high-res small screen, everything else being equal.

The main thing that a dedicated monitor has going for it (IMO) is that it does give you the opportunity to create a proper "gaming station" where you can get carried away, in your own little world, without worrying about the missus wanting to watch corrie.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1938940

as I said when you posted in the gaming section this has been discussed,