Options

Line Of Duty - New Series BBC2 (No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
    Forum Member
    gazzaw13 wrote: »
    Why is Denton obsessed with Carly's disappearance? I think Carly is her daughter. We know Carly was adopted; we know that Denton has ruthlessly pursued her career as a police officer which would have been difficult as a single mother.

Could be! When did she have the affair with Dryden? I can't remember if she said a particular time (If she did have the affair).
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    ^^^^^^^
    I thought Carly was in the care system and with foster parents at the time of her disappearance. Whilst I could imagine Denton giving a child up for adoption I don't see her leaving her at the mercy of the care system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    Well, like many other posters, I finally caught up with Series 1. Phew! (With thanks to Johnnymc)

Like others, I couldn't resist not watching all in one sitting. How could I have missed this first time round?

Wiki says that the first series got just over 4 mill. viewers, and that this series, although getting even more critical acclaim, is not yet getting the same number of viewers.

I only caught this series by accident. I wonder if others have missed it too.

I think thats the case. Probably a casualty of being on BBC2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^^^^^^
    I thought Carly was in the care system and with foster parents at the time of her disappearance. Whilst I could imagine Denton giving a child up for adoption I don't see her leaving her at the mercy of the care system.

I don't know, anything's possible in LOD! Do we know much about her background? I think I'm going to have to rewatch the episodes so far. I've only seen them once and I must've missed things, other posters have noticed things I didn't! We've all seen Denton's temper under stress, maybe she couldn't cope and the child was taken into care. The guilt may be the reason for taking the case perhaps? Or more wild theories? :D
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, if Carly Kirk was Denton's daughter, why wouldn't she act sooner to look into her disapperance than wait until she was assigned to missing persons?

Of course, Carly Kirk could be Dryden's daughter and if Denton had been trying to dig up dirt on Dryden, she may have discovered that.

ilovewallender, I believe Denton said the affair with Dryden ran for five years but was over. I don't think she specified when.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    Well, like many other posters, I finally caught up with Series 1. Phew! (With thanks to Johnnymc)

Like others, I couldn't resist not watching all in one sitting. How could I have missed this first time round?

Wiki says that the first series got just over 4 mill. viewers, and that this series, although getting even more critical acclaim, is not yet getting the same number of viewers.

I only caught this series by accident. I wonder if others have missed it too.

Glad you enjoyed series one of Line of Duty

its here if anyone else missed it first time around..very good!!

episode 1

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsg7xh_line-of-duty-1x01_shortfilms

episode 2

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsguhp_line-of-duty-s01e02-hdtv-x264-tla-1_shortfilms

episode 3

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsh4rh_line-of-duty-1x03-hdtv-x264-fov_shortfilms

episode 4

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsh6q1_line-of-duty-1x04-hdtv-x264-fov_shortfilms

episode 5

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xshpa0_line-of-duty-1x05-hdtv-x264-fov_shortfilms

then withdrawl symptoms til Wednesdays again!!;-)
  • Options
    simon6942simon6942 Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    My personal off the wall theory is that Kate Fleming is somehow involved. She would have had it in for Tommy after the first series.

I think that Sandra Akers phoned her to let her know of the chance to ambush Tommy, but Kate doublecrossed her and got her killed, with a view to getting with Richard Akers now his wife is out the way.

Enough holes to sink a ship, I know, but it would be a big "I never saw that coming" moment.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up on the last two episodes.... Excellent stuff! Haven't the foggiest what the truth is, it seems too simple to just be Dryden.

Alas, Kate still does my pip!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Akers didn't know that after she was dead people were going to pretend it was Tommy. She knew exactly who the witness was; and from what and whom he was in danger.

As you say, I really don't think Denton knew who it was or what it was about.

I've been thinking about Richard Akers's assertion that Akers rang him and asked him to get Kate to call her. Again, theres no evidence that really happened. As Kate said immediately, Akers could have just rung Kate herself.

So are you saying that Akers was part of the conspiracy or not? It seems pretty clear that Tommy is alive. No question about it. But Akers obviously played a part in the ambush, but didn't take into consideration she would be silenced herself once she had served her purpose.

It is great drama. My head hurts. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thing is, if Carly Kirk was Denton's daughter, why wouldn't she act sooner to look into her disapperance than wait until she was assigned to missing persons?

Of course, Carly Kirk could be Dryden's daughter and if Denton had been trying to dig up dirt on Dryden, she may have discovered that.

ilovewallender, I believe Denton said the affair with Dryden ran for five years but was over. I don't think she specified when.

Thanks :) Some of you on this thread notice so many things that I miss, I'm obviously not concentrating!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So are you saying that Akers was part of the conspiracy or not? It seems pretty clear that Tommy is alive. No question about it. But Akers obviously played a part in the ambush, but didn't take into consideration she would be silenced herself once she had served her purpose.

It is great drama. My head hurts. :D

Sorry, no, I didn't mean that. I meant that Akers was genuinely trying to secure the safety of whomsoever she was looking after; she'd become aware that he was in danger, and she had got to the point where she didn't even trust those on her own team.
    But my proposition was that this person wasn't Tommy, and its only being claimed now that it was Tommy because the real identity is so sensitive.

Having said that, its probably a rubbish theory because if it were true it would mean that AC12 have been given a whole false premise on which to base their investigation, and that would seem a step too far.
    Yep, very headache inducing!
  • Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    Is it a coincidence that Dryden, Richard Akers and Tommy are (in Tommy's case were) all Scottish?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Sorry, no, I didn't mean that. I meant that Akers was genuinely trying to secure the safety of whomsoever she was looking after; she'd become aware that he was in danger, and she had got to the point where she didn't even trust those on her own team.
    But my proposition was that this person wasn't Tommy, and its only being claimed now that it was Tommy because the real identity is so sensitive.

Having said that, its probably a rubbish theory because if it were true it would mean that AC12 have been given a whole false premise on which to base their investigation, and that would seem a step too far.

Thanks for clearing that up. It is an interesting theory. Dryden did give his approval to hand over the witness files, maybe a false set of files were delivered to protect the real identity of the witness. It could be a stretch, but this show loves to throw in twists at every turn. The writers certainly keep the viewers guessing.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    Is it a coincidence that Dryden, Richard Akers and Tommy are (in Tommy's case were) all Scottish?

I think it is a coincidence, at least it is for Dryden, because he was originally going to be played by Robert Lindsay and I can't imagine that they wanted him to do a Scottish accent!
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    But my proposition was that this person wasn't Tommy
    , and its only being claimed now that it was Tommy because the real identity is so sensitive.

Ha ha! I like this. The writer does seem to be going to some lengths to prevent us seeing whoever it was under the blanket, doesn't he? Firstly, we never see the individual's face, even in the close-up of the rear of the car when the occupants are shot. Then, in the hospital, we never see him because he is burned and his head is covered in bandages.

If you think about it, it is a bit odd for the hitman to set fire to the car. He seems to fire off a magazine into the car (presumably from a machine pistol), then he collects a petrol can and empties it over the car before setting fire to it and apparently escaping on foot. What is he trying to achieve by that? It would make far more sense (and take far less time) to simply change mags and finish off the occupants with headshots. If he was trying to eliminate forensic evidence that could identify him, he would have set fire to his own vehicle. Why have the fire unless the writer was determined to conceal the guy's identity from the audience?

The (huge) flaw is, as you say, that the individual must have been positively identified at the hospital, either through DNA or dental records, so it is frankly implausible that a false identity could have been fed to AC12.

So many questions...:D
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Ha ha! I like this. The writer does seem to be going to some lengths to prevent us seeing whoever it was under the blanket, doesn't he? Firstly, we never see the individual's face, even in the close-up of the rear of the car when the occupants are shot. Then, in the hospital, we never see him because he is burned and his head is covered in bandages.

If you think about it, it is a bit odd for the hitman to set fire to the car. He seems to fire off a magazine into the car (presumably from a machine pistol), then he collects a petrol can and empties it over the car before setting fire to it and apparently escaping on foot. What is he trying to achieve by that? It would make far more sense (and take far less time) to simply change mags and finish off the occupants with headshots. If he was trying to eliminate forensic evidence that could identify him, he would have set fire to his own vehicle. Why have the fire unless the writer was determined to conceal the guy's identity from the audience?

The (huge) flaw is, as you say, that the individual must have been positively identified at the hospital, either through DNA or dental records, so it is frankly implausible that a false identity could have been fed to AC12.

So many questions...:D
    It was probably just a plot device that is never going to be explained away. If those things hadn't happened then the viewers and AC12 in the story would have known the identity earlier on. Delaying the discovery was important as it allowed the focus on Denton.

If DNA evidence had shown that the witness wasn't Tommy and they are now being told that it was, wouldn't they query it? It would be silly to withhold the identity from AC12 and allow them to discover it anyway using DNA.
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Wednesday, boys and girls.
  • Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    Happy Wednesday, boys and girls.

Counting the minutes!
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching Series 1. Brilliant story and brilliant acting, although Steve was just as annoying in that series. How he evaded a disciplinary for talking like he did to higher officers I don't know! Looking forward to tonight's episode.:)
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving this series and reading everyone's theories - just wish I'd seen series 1.......
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed series one of Line of Duty

its here if anyone else missed it first time around..very good!!

Thank you so much for finding and posting these! Can't wait to watch them.
  • Options
    poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The great thing about this is that there are loads of equally plausible solutions, as it is so very difficult to determine who are the goodies and who are the baddies.

Just about every leading candidate has had dirt dished on them, so all are susceptible to accusations of being open to bribery. Kelly Hawes is playing her part so well that I find myself switching from thinking her guilty to innocent within each episode.

I can't help feeling that the missing girl being found will play an important role in the ambush case. Also, is Dryden being involved almost too obvious and this is being used as a ploy to distract viewers from the real villain(s) within the police force?

Each episode I have found myself thinking and hoping that it will give clues to help unravel the mystery, when all it does it add yet more layers of suspicion, clues and red herrings.

A great watch.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poshnosh wrote: »
    The great thing about this is that there are loads of equally plausible solutions, as it is so very difficult to determine who are the goodies and who are the baddies.

Just about every leading candidate has had dirt dished on them, so all are susceptible to accusations of being open to bribery. Kelly Hawes is playing her part so well that I find myself switching from thinking her guilty to innocent within each episode.

I can't help feeling that the missing girl being found will play an important role in the ambush case. Also, is Dryden being involved almost too obvious and this is being used as a ploy to distract viewers from the real villain(s) within the police force?

Each episode I have found myself thinking and hoping that it will give clues to help unravel the mystery, when all it does it add yet more layers of suspicion, clues and red herrings.

A great watch.

Agreed this is completely brilliant. Not a fan of Kate( seriously think she's up to neck). Steve looks like he's chewing a wasp constantly. Agree that Keeley hawes as Denton is terrific. I'd underestimated her talents as an actress, she's great at being both sides of guilty/not guilty.
    I am no clearer on whats going on and cannot wait for tonight at 9.
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure if you can trust Wikpedia or a wiki for accurate viewing figures. Yes, series 1 may have possibly got a fair bit higher viewing figures but when you include iplayer the differences between viewing figures of each series is probably more minimal.

Most interestingly, if you look at the Guardian blog for this series:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/series/line-of-duty-episode-by-episode

You will see that the first series didn't get a great deal of comments (max 200+). Then the first episode of series 2 got 227 comments (including one from me somewhere ;-)) then the second episode got 438; and then episode 3 has a 1000 + :o

As you can see, there is something happening there. Probably loads of people increasingly diving on to iplayer after hearing about it. Also, I never watch 'live'. I will usually 'chase play' on my pvr at around 21:45 usually after something like the football has finished or I finally decide to stop messing about with my various PHP web programming projects. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fayebeatle wrote: »
    Agree that Keeley hawes as Denton is terrific. I'd underestimated her talents as an actress, she's great at being both sides of guilty/not guilty.
    I am no clearer on whats going on and cannot wait for tonight at 9.

I'd underestimated her too, I've only ever seen her in Ashes 2 Ashes and thought of her as 'lightweight'. How wrong I was.

Only 2 hours to go, I actually woke up excited today because it was Wednesday :D
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    Counting the minutes!

I was too impatient to wait so ended up downloading the final 3 episodes :blush:

Brilliant stuff :)
    .... and then I woke up :D