Options

What flag do you have on your car number plates ..

exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
Forum Member
...or if not a flag what do you have instead?

I ask because the EU wants to axe our plate system and have a common one across all member states so I guess one difference would be the EU flag stuck on the end.

I have the UK union flag which I bought and stuck over the existing EU one, what have you?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old Rover has a number plate dating back from 1997. It is pure and hasn't been infected by the EUSSR ^_^
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No badges or flag on mine. My last car had a euro blue badge on it and I tippexed it over.I hate rubbish like that!
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    None.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Who wants a silly EU flag? I am English not European.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    My old Rover has a number plate dating back from 1997. It is pure and hasn't been infected by the EUSSR ^_^

Ha ha! That's exactly the sort of car that came to mind when I saw this thread. I go to North Devon quite often and there are always ancient Rovers with the Cross of St George on their number plates (along with Union flags in gardens and UKIP stickers in windows:blush:).
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I have a BMW badge on the plates for my bimmer, fitted by the dealership despite that fact that they are, apparently, illegal. :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can have the English flag if you prefer ;) personally I prefer no flags :)

I have the Volkswagon logo on the front with a red boarder and the cars make/model/transmission (naughty show plate) the back had to be recently replaced so has nothing but a red boarder and the reg number.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No flags, just a good old fashion square number plate on the back and a white normal one on the front.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my car from a staunch Welshman, it has the Welsh flag on my number plates, I'm not spending any money to change them.
    I'm English, but the Welsh flag does not offend me :)
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No flag on my plates. I'd have the Northumbrian flag on but it wouldn't go with my car ;-)
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Scottish (St Andrew) flag on both cars only because I'm Scottish and have always lived here. If I didn't have this, I'd have the Union Jack as I'm proud to be British and want to stay that way.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I don't have a flag.

Does everyone else have a flag?
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So putting the flag to one side, if the EU introduce a standard numberplate system across their member countries, I can't see those who have shelled out several thousands of pounds, and in some cases a lot more, being best pleased!
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have the EU flag on mine with GB on it. I would much rather have that, than have to stick a GB sticker on my car when taking the car abroad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I have the EU flag on mine with GB on it. I would much rather have that, than have to stick a GB sticker on my car when taking the car abroad.
    I thought you had to regardless of what was on your number plate.

I haven't read up on this EU numberplate business (I will now) I fully support us being part of the EU but what a pointless thing to debate. No wonder people want to leave!
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My car's reg plates have the EU flag and then GB underneath it, but that's just because it has the dealer plates still on it.

I've always planned on changing it to the Union Jack, but never seem to quite get around to it. I tow a trailer sometimes and the number plate I bought for the trailer-board has the Union Jack and UK on it.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    If I don't have a flag does that mean that if I venture abroad some foreign power can annexe me?
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    none at all
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine had an E.U Flag on it but i bought new plates with an England Flag on.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only legal ones are the UK and the EU.
    I have the EU on the car and the bike.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Euro flag with GB written underneath as supplied by the dealer, but I've since stuck a saltire over the top of the flag.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you had to regardless of what was on your number plate.

Nope, no need for any sticker if you have the EU flag with GB on your number plate.

Just like you never see a sticker on a foreign car, as they all seem to have the EU logo. There's only 1 or 2 countries other than the UK where the EU flag is not mandatory.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Mine has a Welsh dragon on it - it was there when I bought the car.
    I think the garage where I bought it put it on all their number plates.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No flag here.

Although I quite like the Italian system with nationality on one side and the region on the other.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    ...or if not a flag what do you have instead?

I ask because the EU wants to axe our plate system and have a common one across all member states so I guess one difference would be the EU flag stuck on the end.

I have the UK union flag which I bought and stuck over the existing EU one, what have you?
    We have none on ours - long may it remain that way. If people want to know where the car comes from, there's a handy GB plate about a foot away from the number plate.