Derek Branning VS Pat Phelan

SoapAddict99SoapAddict99 Posts: 688
Forum Member
✭✭
Who do you prefer and why?

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Phelan is scarier. He's even scarier that Ssssssizzzler from Brookside. Derek Branning was rather funny and couldn't really be taken seriously.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Derek=Pantomime character
    Phelan= Believable hardman
  • CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you came across Derek in a dark alleyway, you would still call him funny?
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    CriticFan wrote: »
    So if you came across Derek in a dark alleyway, you would still call him funny?

He's about 4ft and as scary as a kitten...
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Phelan - his name is like the gift of jokes that keeps on giving in this storyline :D
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    If you were anna and you had to sleep with one, who would you pick?

I dont even want to think about it!

I prefer the character of phelan as i think hes more interesting as a baddie. Hes more manipulative and creepy. Derek was more of a comic baddie with a sense of humour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He intrigued me and scared me both at the time when he was on the show. Yes Phelan is a good baddie but he doesn't do the same that Derek did for me unfortunately
  • SoapAddict99SoapAddict99 Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they are both rapists and want to take everyone up the shard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both panto, IMO.

Phelan is more believable as a conceivable villain though.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I enjoy them both. Phelan needs his I. AM. DEREK. BRANNING. moment.
  • Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phelan is a believable hard ass baddie. Derek was a joke. Phelan is successful, he has a nice big house, a decent car and according to his wife foreign holidays. What did Derek have? Derek was a petty criminal and his dress sense was terrible. Who wears a suit and tie with a cardigan these days? Also Phelan is quite big and looks like he can handle himself in a fight while Derek was a little roly poly.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek and Phelan would probably rape each other in a fight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except for the fact Phelan is a bankrupt waster.

Also that he is virtually a rapist now as well can be added to the list of qualities he holds as an all-round good guy.

Sorry - just had to mention those.
  • Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except for the fact Phelan is a bankrupt waster.

Also that he is virtually a rapist can be added to the list.

Sorry - just had to mention those.

I don't think he's a waster. Even though he's bankrupt he's still running a business and making money. He is a rapist, coercing someone to sleep with you like that might as well be rape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    I don't think he's a waster. Even though he's bankrupt he's still running a business and making money. He is a rapist, coercing someone to sleep with you like that might as well be rape.

Yes - do agree with what you say here, pretty much.

Just thought that I'd make these points in case anyone is under the impression that Phelan has any realistic redeeming features - which I don't think he has (this is purely based on what has been seen, so far).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er didn't Gary whack him over the head?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    they're both yuck.
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phelan. Clever and calculated.

Derek was more of a villain off screen than he was on it (hiding Carol's post as we discovered after his death, having been the one that buried Max alive, terrorising David (was that seen in the original stint?) Not enough was seen as to why Tanya hated him, or why Pat was scared of him. Obviously she hated him for what he did to David, but what did he do that had her running away as soon as she saw him? Didn't Alfie manage to pull a fast one on him at one point? Totally undermines him as a villain.

IMO Andy Hunter was more of a villain that Derek - and he was axed for not being scary enough. As Phelan demonstrates, not all villains have to be scary.
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    If you were anna and you had to sleep with one, who would you pick?

I dont even want to think about it!

Phelan, just. Derek's hair just looked constantly greasy.

In the real world, neither.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phelan, manages to be the hardest man on the street, whilst still being a deeply sensual soul.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phelan, because he's much more believable. That's partly why I find his scenes difficult to watch - I've met people like him, who are simply amoral and who you'll never stop through trying to reason with them.

Derek was ridiculous. Massively sentimental but also genuinely horrible, and the attempts at humanising him after that awful scene when Pat was dying only made him worse. Archie is a better comparison - he was frightening.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek and Phelan are both decent, upstanding blokes, and I won't hear a word against either of them.

:p