Options

Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Terry, Cole, and Lampard need to explain to the newer players how horrible the idea of Liverpool winning the league is. Get that through to them and the remaining matches would be a breeze.....
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Terry, Cole, and Lampard need to explain to the newer players how horrible the idea of Liverpool winning the league is. Get that through to them and the remaining matches would be a breeze.....

I am sure they don't need to be told, any one with even a minus IQ knows that
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Liverpool win the league we will never hear the end of it, theyve been waiting for it so long, the smugness i can feel it already :(
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    Oh well, second best result for us at Anfield.
    dend wrote: »
    I was praying for a draw, but its looking like we NEED to win all our remaining games if we want to win the league- will that even be enough?

I'm more of the mindset that Liverpool winning today was the best possible result for us (certainly at this stage - time will tell I guess). If they'd drawn we'd have gone level on points with them, but still needing to beat them at Anfield to be sure of finishing above them because of their superior goal difference. So nothing's really changed there. Whereas we needed City to drop a minimum of 5 points assuming we win our games - if they hadn't lost today we'd have been pinning all of our remaining hopes on them losing at Everton.

Playing Liverpool between 2 CL games isn't ideal, but with the 1st Atletico game on the tuesday and the Liverpool game on the sunday we should have enough recovery time. I'd be a bit more concerned about it if we were playing on the wednesday and saturday.

Didn't see the game today, but from some of the comments it sounds like I didn't miss much. Glad we won though. Will watch the highlights on MOTD2.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Whatever you've read, we were far worse ^

Victor Moses is alive! Don't remember the last time I saw him....
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    That was dire from start to finish.

genuine question here.

why do chelsea fans put up with the drivel football. Why is Jose allowed to get away with it?

any other manager would get criticized loads.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    genuine question here.

why do chelsea fans put up with the drivel football. Why is Jose allowed to get away with it?

I speak out against Jose!!!
    I'd take a Brendan Rogers over him every day of the week!

For some reason, most Chelsea fans are only interested in winning and don't give a toss how they go about it, and I find that quite dissapointing tbh.
    So many 'big clubs' have won things by trying to play creative, attacking, attractive football, and Chelsea did it last season under Rafa.
    It all comes down to the mindset of the manager at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    genuine question here.

Because football is not a tv show where "entertainment" is the be all and end off all, It's a Sporting event
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »

For some reason, most Chelsea fans are only interested in winning and don't give a toss how they go about it, and I find that quite dissapointing tbh.
    So many 'big clubs' have won things by trying to play creative, attacking, attractive football, and Chelsea did it last season under Rafa.

If you think winning the Thursday night cup is a something we should be using as a measuring stick then we might as well get rid of Roman and see if Ken Bates wants to buy us back
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After yesterday, Gawd help us at Pool & Athletico.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Because football is not a tv show where "entertainment" is the be all and end off all, It's a Sporting event

Winning isnt the be and end all either. Football is still an entertainment business and even Roman accepts that. Pep was the one he wanted not Jose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Winning isnt the be and end all either. Football is still an entertainment business and even Roman accepts that. Pep was the one he wanted not Jose.

And chasing this "entertainment business model" has lead Chelsea to the mess we have been in for the last two season's and why we need to bring a manager like Jose back, the many many many mistakes made since he left the first time have all led us here, we are putting right years of mismanagement. The only way to judge if it's been successful or not is at the end of the season and measure the season by the number 14
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »

Did we ? That's not the way I remember it. We finished 14 points behind a fairly mediocre (by their own admission) Man Utd. In the end it was an "ok" season, better than many expected, but nothing more. Take away the 8 goals we scored against Villa last season, and we are well on course to score more goals this season as well.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To clarify: If we win all our games from now until the end of the season, we win the CL and Liverpool don't win the PL.
    If City draw at least one of their remaining games (or lose) then the Liverpool game will have even more significance as winning could mean the title is back on. City have Everton away in their last game so it is not within the realms of possiblity that they could drop points. It's going to go down to the wire this year, I just know it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did we ? That's not the way I remember it. We finished 14 points behind a fairly mediocre (by their own admission) Man Utd. In the end it was an "ok" season, better than many expected, but nothing more. Take away the 8 goals we scored against Villa last season, and we are well on course to score more goals this season as well.

Always have to look at the bigger picture and the big picture from the last two seasons has been pretty dire, This season while is far from perfect but a vast improvement from the last two seasons. We have corrected some issues from those seasons and still have some to deal with.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    dend wrote: »
    If Liverpool win the league we will never hear the end of it, :(

I've heard this kind of phrase in many places recently and it baffles me tbh.

What do you want us as LFC fans to do if it happens - keep quiet?????

Dead right we will go on about it - but only in an 'We are delighted' sort of way not dissing other clubs - yours or anyone else cos tbh CFC, MUFC, EFC and anyone else will be the least thing in our heads - and rightly so cos it has been 24 long years since it last happened and it will bring us untold joy if it happens - is that wrong? - cos that's what I thought the best part of being a football fan was all about - being happy when your club does well. Or have I got it wrong?

and no I am not rejoicing yet - there is a long way to go and most LFC fans know that but we are nearer than we would ever have expected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just browsing the site and saw this comment, and yes, to a point you may be right. However, football is a spectator event, it needs people through the gates to watch it and due to the prices - to enjoy watching it. Same as for the TV companies, if people switch off Chelsea matches because the playing style is 'boring' - they will not be too keen to show the matches in future. Both those examples begin a loss of revenue for the club, sure you have a sugar daddy who can sub you to a point, but he won't be happy seeing his money going down the drain.

Mourinho will win matches, but at a cost to the Beautiful Game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Just browsing the site and saw this comment, and yes, to a point you may be right. However, football is a spectator event, it needs people through the gates to watch it and due to the prices - to enjoy watching it. Same as for the TV companies, if people switch off Chelsea matches because the playing style is 'boring' - they will not be too keen to show the matches in future. Both those examples begin a loss of revenue for the club, sure you have a sugar daddy who can sub you to a point, but he won't be happy seeing his money going down the drain.

But if Chelsea continue to win games and a by product of that is they win will titles, Sky and BT will contiune to show Chelsea games due to them being the Champions, Same with people coming to the games, People want to see "winners".

"The Beautiful Game" is just a media tag line and bears no relevence to anything, Some might call a 6-5 games the beautiful where as I would say more often then not the level of football is pretty poor (but it is "exciting").

We seem to at the moment to confuse the two. The premership this year is "exciting" but to me the level is not even close to what it was four or five years ago,. The standard of football over the last couple of seasons for me has been quite poor, Defending seems to have been a lost art and passing to a player within arms reach and being able to use two feet seems to beyond most players.

Give me Bobby Moores tackle in the world cup anyday over a game with some wonder goal
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »

But I just don't get that. Take yesterday's game for instance, it was dull I'll readily admit that. But what more could Chelsea have done ?
    We had more than 70% of the possession, and after Swansea were reduced to 10 men we attacked throughout. We played some decent football but with no end result until Demba Ba took advantage of a defensive error. If we had run riot and won 5-0, would that have made it a beautiful game ?
    It's really back to the discussion we were having last week. The Liverpool v Man City game was exciting because it was a big event. As it happens, the way the game flowed with Liverpool taking a 2-0 lead, Man City fighting back, then Liverpool getting their winner turned it into a classic. But a goalless draw would have been just as gripping given the importance of the game.
    I think people tune in in their millions to watch important games rather than pretty football. While Chelsea are still good enough to be involved in important games, I don't think there's any danger of people turning off.

Ps..I also think we play some pretty good darned football..at times. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've heard this kind of phrase in many places recently and it baffles me tbh.

What do you want us as LFC fans to do if it happens - keep quiet?????

Dead right we will go on about it - but only in an 'We are delighted' sort of way not dissing other clubs - yours or anyone else cos tbh CFC, MUFC, EFC and anyone else will be the least thing in our heads - and rightly so cos it has been 24 long years since it last happened and it will bring us untold joy if it happens - is that wrong? - cos that's what I thought the best part of being a football fan was all about - being happy when your club does well. Or have I got it wrong?

and no I am not rejoicing yet - there is a long way to go and most LFC fans know that but we are nearer than we would ever have expected.

See the post below, Alan. It pretty much sums up why people take issue with many of your fans and shows a complete lack of humility (ironically something Mourinho often gets called out for). On a day when you had a great win to put you in pole position to win the title, the poster below thought it suitable to go into a rival supporters' thread and call their team's style of play "drivel". So this suggestion that many of your fans won't be gloating and dissing other clubs if you win the title is one that you'll be hard pushed to find many to agree with.
    genuine question here.

• Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    But I just don't get that. Take yesterday's game for instance, it was dull I'll readily admit that. But what more could Chelsea have done ?
    We had more than 70% of the possession, and after Swansea were reduced to 10 men we attacked throughout. We played some decent football but with no end result until Demba Ba took advantage of a defensive error. If we had run riot and won 5-0, would that have made it a beautiful game ?
    It's really back to the discussion we were having last week. The Liverpool v Man City game was exciting because it was a big event. As it happens, the way the game flowed with Liverpool taking a 2-0 lead, Man City fighting back, then Liverpool getting their winner turned it into a classic. But a goalless draw would have been just as gripping given the importance of the game.
    I think people tune in in their millions to watch important games rather than pretty football. While Chelsea are still good enough to be involved in important games, I don't think there's any danger of people turning off.

Ps..I also think we play some pretty good darned football..at times. :)

I think Mourinho is a win at all costs style manager. He will play whatever style needs to be played to give him the best chance of getting the points. A lot of the time (away especially) that's not pretty, but he will win things.

I prefer to watch our style of football, but I'm not gonna knock Chelsea for theirs.

One thing for the bib - I remember against us earlier in the season, up until we scored you looked a bit rubbish, but once we took the lead you looked incredible. Fast, attacking, aggressive. We just couldn't cope. There is clearly the talent and ability to play that style, it's just not the style that Mourinho sets out to play.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    See the post below, Alan. It pretty much sums up why people take issue with many of your fans and shows a complete lack of humility (ironically something Mourinho often gets called out for). On a day when you had a great win to put you in pole position to win the title, the poster below thought it suitable to go into a rival supporter's thread and call their team's style of play "drivel". So this suggestion that many of your fans won't be gloating and dissing other clubs if you win the title is one that you'll be hard pushed to find many to agree with.

Check the thread.. Your own fans were calling it an ugly display of football. I was asking why Chelsea fans seems to have no issues with Jose when he has the team play that way.

Its a valid question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    I think Mourinho is a win at all costs style manager. He will play whatever style needs to be played to give him the best chance of getting the points. A lot of the time (away especially) that's not pretty, but he will win things.

I prefer to watch our style of football, but I'm not gonna knock Chelsea for theirs.

One thing for the bib - I remember against us earlier in the season, up until we scored you looked a bit rubbish, but once we took the lead you looked incredible. Fast, attacking, aggressive. We just couldn't cope. There is clearly the talent and ability to play that style, it's just not the style that Mourinho sets out to play.

But surely thats the point. We reacted to the situation

We played in one way the game one way under certain conditons then when those changed we changed tactics to deal with that situation.

Jose perfers to take a very pragmatic view of the game, We are going to play this style and this way which will give us this result, But if this happens we will play this way and this style to gain the same result and once again if some thing different happens we change the style etc but the end result stays the same.

Its like yesterday when things was not heading to the chosen result he played 2 strikers but as soon as he was on course for the result he switched back to one. He is not going to be the guy that sends his players to go flying out the door and go at the other team, He takes a very measured view of games. You will get good exciting football (take the duff and robben days) but only when it will not affect what he wants the outcome of the game to be. He wont accept a 4-3 win as a job well done, For him he has failed due to not seeting the team up well enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check the thread.. Your own fans were calling it an ugly display of football. I was asking why Chelsea fans seems to have no issues with Jose when he has the team play that way.

Its a valid question.

The result
  • Options
    Forum Member

Its a valid question.

What the majority are actually saying is that we didn't play well yesterday, not that we are "drivel" to watch every week (that's your own opinion). There's a difference. The more level-headed fans appreciate that on the whole we're doing pretty well in spite of the problems with our strikers. Obviously you'll always get one or two like Dixon who think that the grass is always greener on the other side, but that's the same with every club.

Why do you care so much anyway? I thought you LFC fans might have moved on from being interested in how we perceive our manager the moment Rafa left, but clearly not.
This discussion has been closed.