Couple, aged 12 and 13, welcome first child

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-youngest-parents-12-year-old-girl-3418071
“The baby’s mum and dad have been in a relationship for more than a year, so this isn’t a fleeting romance. They intend to stick together and bring their daughter up together.

Well clearly that makes it ok then .. *rolls eyes to the heavens* ..

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    Speechless!
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when they're 30 they'll have an 18 year old
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,539
    Forum Member
    OMG .....What sort of parents have they got!

This sentence got me ...

'The young couple, from north London, celebrated the birth of their baby daughter at the weekend and have vowed to stay together as a family.'

But before they did not have a screaming baby so I doubt it.

Then read this at the bottom ...

'The world’s youngest mum was Lina Medina from Ticrapo, Peru, who gave birth to son Gerardo when she was just five years and seven months in 1939.'

A 5 year old having a baby :o How is that possible?
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an 18 and 19 year old and I can't imagine them being responsible for another person! I do hope these two have good families behind them but given the circumstances, I'm doubtful.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-youngest-parents-12-year-old-girl-3418071

Well clearly that makes it ok then .. *rolls eyes to the heavens* ..
    You really think that's what that quote was trying to say?
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Oh my goodness, they are children themselves! What about their education? Plus they'll miss out on all the usual teenage stuff, no days out with friends, shopping trips, going to gigs, parties, clubs and festivals, sunshine holidays etc. That sounds trite and superficial, but it's a big part of growing up for most of us.

They've gone straight from childhood to parenthood without drawing breath. Good luck to them. They're going to need it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when they're 30 they'll have an 18 year old

that is what you took from that article ?

I'd be getting social services involved from day one personally.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yeah it's crazy but it's happened. I'm just wondering what kind of bizarre age combinations there is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well yeah, because "bizarre age combinations" really is the crux of this story ..
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sickening. If social services allow the child to stay with that family I will spit. Surely making them adopt the baby is the only message they should send out?

It's like we've devolved to Medieval times.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sickening. If social services allow the child to stay with that family I will spit. Surely making them adopt the baby is the only message they should send out?

That's a bit extreme. Wouldn't that be punishing them before anything bad has even happened? Give them a chance, we have enough children needlessly snatched from loving families by the blundering Social Services as it is.

It's a ridiculous situation and they'll need a LOT of support, the infant is entirely innocent and hardly deserves a life in care and what comes with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, the girl's mother (and now grandmother I suppose) is only 27, so she would have had her daughter at 14, since the girl is only 12 years and 3 months old according to the Mail.

I suspect this cycle will continue with the daughter as she and her mother will both be "proof" that having a child whilst still a child themselves "didn't do me any harm", or words to that effect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605672/Britains-youngest-parents-Mother-12-gives-birth-7lb-baby-girl-falling-pregnant-primary-school-boy-aged-13.html
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be getting social services involved from day one personally.

It's a pretty good bet they already are.

The girls mum is 27, meaning she was around 15 when she had her.

This young girl never bloody stood a chance, did she?
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The article also said the 12 year olds mother is now one of the UKs youngest grans at 27. Which means she was just 15 when she had her daughter, which could go some way to explaining why the girl is like she is.

By the way, their 'relationship' won't last, like, a year. And we'll probably have another story like this in twelve years or so. Plus a story about a 24 year old grandmother.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Well saying that the parents will be living with their parents, then why would socail services need to have the child adopted. And what message are you trying to send out.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:o:o
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew Wright has often argued on his Left-wing anti Daily Mail show on Ch5 that 14 is an ideal age for girls to have children. I'll be curious to see what he says about this case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This young girl never bloody stood a chance, did she?

Not really, no. Unfortunately it's not that surprising either. There have been a few cases over the years of children giving birth and you subsequently find out the mother also gave birth at a young age as well.

In an ideal world, you'd hope that it would make the mother more inclined to encourage her child to remain a child and enjoy their childhood but, as i said, she'll see that child as "proof" that giving birth while so young really isn't that much of a big deal.
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    By the way, their 'relationship' won't last, like, a year. And we'll probably have another story like this in twelve years or so. Plus a story about a 24 year old grandmother.

Exactly. When the novelty of their new plaything wears off, any thoughts of staying together and marriage will be long gone.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    OMG .....What sort of parents have they got!

This sentence got me ...

'The young couple, from north London, celebrated the birth of their baby daughter at the weekend and have vowed to stay together as a family.'

But before they did not have a screaming baby so I doubt it.

Then read this at the bottom ...

'The world’s youngest mum was Lina Medina from Ticrapo, Peru, who gave birth to son Gerardo when she was just five years and seven months in 1939.'

A 5 year old having a baby :o How is that possible?

She couldn't give any precise information, presumably because of her age and lack of understanding with what was going on but it's obvious she must have been raped. Her father was in the spotlight at one time but it was unfounded and they never found the babies father.

Early onset puberty is a genuine condition that can happen (albeit it's very rare), so all it would take is for a young girl with that condition to be raped and pregnancy is thus possible.

She's still alive, aged 80

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Medina
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Matthew Wright has often argued on his Left-wing anti Daily Mail show on Ch5 that 14 is an ideal age for girls to have children. I'll be curious to see what he says about this case.

Shoving in some right-wing bias, pro-Mail propaganda in a completely unrelated thread? Admirable. ^_^

It's not an ideal situation by any means, but FMs calling for the infant to be taken into care when literally nothing bad has happened is frightening. :o
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally I would condemn "children" of that age having kids, but a friend of ours has fostered a 13 year old who had a child. And I have to say that the foster parents should be proud of themselves. The 13 year old does everything for the baby, and is determined to continue her school studies - with lots of encouragement and support from the foster parents. There are other foster kids in the house hold - one of 15, one of 9 and one of 6. None lack for anything and, indeed, the 13 year old with the baby actually takes more responsibility than the 15 year old!

But I still think 12 years old is 10 years too early - makes me want to arrange a chastity belt for my 7 year old grand-daughter!

P.S. the 13 year old's parents threw her out when they discovered she was pregnant
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member

No it isn't. You can't just go in and take a baby off somebody before anything has happened. That's just not right.

It's obviously not the greatest situation to be in but they should at least give them the bloody chance before swooping in. Yes Social Services should be involved for a while to offer support, not just take the child
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Not really, no. Unfortunately it's not that surprising either. There have been a few cases over the years of children giving birth and you subsequently find out the mother also gave birth at a young age as well.

In an ideal world, you'd hope that it would make the mother more inclined to encourage her child to remain a child and enjoy their childhood but, as i said, she'll see that child as "proof" that giving birth while so young really isn't that much of a big deal.

Quite a few girls from my year had had babies by the time our year had left so I don't find news like this shocking even in my Mum's day she knew of one or two who had left because they were pregnant (only difference was the reason back then wasn't so openly talked about and she only knew about one of them as their families were friends she found out about the other one a few years later)

Anyway one of the girls from my class who had a baby young her daughter also had a baby at 14 and rather than been upset she actually was bragging about it on facebook and saying how proud of her daughter she was for making her a grandmother
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't be surprised at the amount of people thinking they should keep the baby. Look forward to even more kids having kids, then!
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »

Not that I'd call it at all ideal, but worth noting that throughout human history (and, well, still in many parts of the developing world) having a baby at around 14 is/was normality.

Of course, when your life expectancy is only about 45 that would sort of make more sense I guess.. :confused:

Just some food for thought,