Options

Kids have no clue behind religious festivals

Comments

• Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't teach my children about religion but I'm pretty sure they learnt the basics in RE. I would certainly hope so, seeing as they had RE lessons up to year 11. I would expect them to have been taught about the religious story behind easter, christmas and other major 'religious' celebrations.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    No. Its originally a Jewish festival, Passover which is why all over Europe it is generally called by words deriving from Peshoch.
    The fact that we use a name derived from an Anglo Saxon godless is neither here nor there. In fact that name might have been invented by Bede, the 8th century Northumbrian Christian historian.

It is actually linked to both it has its roots in both the Jewish traditions and Pagan.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606713/Quarter-British-eight-15-year-olds-think-Hare-Tortoise-features-Easter-story.html

kids think easter is all about chocolate eggs and xmas means toys no real meaning for them

i think its a disgrace
    So do I. I blame parents and schools>:(
    Skyclad wrote: »
    And I suspect most adults don't know the original meaning behind 'religious' festivals. They think Christmas is about the birth of Christ and Easter is about the crucifixion of Christ.
    These people have got it right if they include the resurrection of Christ
    munta wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. Very few children know that Easter is originally a pagan festival named after the Anglo-Saxon goddes Eostre. Schools should teach this better.
    Easter is about Jesus. Eostre is about something else.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    i think its a disgrace
    SULLA wrote: »

Maybe the kids were taught it by the parents and schools but the kids forgot about it because they didn't consider it to be important.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased that kids aren't being indoctrinated from birth anymore. They'll learn about religion at school.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I'm pleased that kids aren't being indoctrinated from birth anymore. They'll learn about religion at school.

Surely parents have a duty to give basic information as well.
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....according to the daily mail! They surveyed a cross section of children of different ages, from different backgrounds, attending a range of school types up and down the country did they? They say it's a % of children in the UK! How misleading, surely it's a % of the children they actually asked. Love to know how many children they asked.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you teach your children about the Muslim festivals?
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the kids were taught it by the parents and schools but the kids forgot about it because they didn't consider it to be important.

So true i did not listen to r.e at school,
    Also may the the parents don't no that much about religion, I do not know that much about any religion so I will not teach my kids about religion.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK is a very anti-religion country now.
    Can you tell us how that manifests itself?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Surely parents have a duty to give basic information as well.

I don't think so tbh. A child of under 4 doesnt need to know anything about religion imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Also may the the parents don't no that much about religion, I do not know that much about any religion so I will not teach my kids about religion.

Yup ... my comment was based on personal experience. RE was compulsory at school, but it bored the living daylights out of me. I couldn't even tell you if Ringo was one of the twelve disciples, and to be blunt, I couldn't care less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I don't think so tbh. A child of under 4 doesnt need to know anything about religion imo.

Giving them a brief sentence about why people have Easter Eggs and Christmas is suitable.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

These people have got it right if they include the resurrection of Christ

Easter is about Jesus. Eostre is about something else.

You blame parents and schools for not lying to them?

What weird logic there...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Giving them a brief sentence about why people have Easter Eggs and Christmas is suitable.

It was always Santa and the Easter Bunny for me. Much more suitable for a kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »

I know a fair amount about religion ( christianity at least) seeing as I was raised in a christian home. I still made the decision not to teach my children about it. It's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
    They need to learn about it at school so that they can understand other subjects such as history so I never stopped them having RE lessons (or assembly for that matter).
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imho learning maths & real life skills are far more important than learning about some fairytale. If parents want their children to learn about religion, then send them to Sunday school. Learning about some myth isn't going to get them good grades or employment.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Easter is really the anniverary of jesus's death, why is it never on the same day each year. Wasn't the last supper held on the Jewish Passover. That implies the festive of easter actully precedes jesus's death. Doesn't it?
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not a bad thing, That's a GOOD thing!
  • Options
    brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think kids should learn the morale high ground and know that xmas and easter and such are more than toys and choco eggs getting and should respect the religion behind it i was at my local good friday and mass and it was full also kids should be taught more rather than take things for granted no shame
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    That's not a bad thing, That's a GOOD thing!

http://s22.postimg.org/cb4jtwky9/ddp.png
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think kids should learn the morale high ground and know that xmas and easter and such are more than toys and choco eggs getting and should respect the religion behind it i was at my local good friday and mass and it was full also kids should be taught more rather than take things for granted no shame

Easters about re-birth. The spring. It's based on a much older festive. It's sybolms where rabbits, lambs, and eggs......
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think there are more important things, such as maths and English grammar! I'd be more worried if a kid didn't even understand basic punctuation! :o
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not everyone is religious or has a different religion, and everyone has their own ideas of what morals are,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's no obligation to respect another person's religion/beliefs ,as long as we respect their rights to hold those beliefs.
    And eggs aren't actually a christian symbol anyway.