Anyone know anything about archaeology?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
Forum Member
I saw these markings in a field when browsing aerial maps, does these features look like anything you would see on the likes of time team, do they look like ancient features, buildings etc?

http://oi50.tinypic.com/3452d1h.jpg

http://oi50.tinypic.com/352nrpu.jpg

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on, surely somebody can dig something up?
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winehouse wrote: »
    Come on, surely somebody can dig something up?
    :D

They could indeed reveal the likes of stone or brick structures (or just rubble) underneath the grass which means the soil doesn't retain as much moisture and gets sun burn easily.

It could just mean that the rock strat underneath is closer to the top in those areas than in other due to the topography of the land being flattened over the centuries.

It could mean that some temporary structures once stood on the grass and killed it off.

It could also be a disease like Rhizoctonia blight, also known as brown patch, which is a fungal infection.

It could be that some animals have urinated there a lot which tends to kill off grass.

So yes, no and maybe. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looks soil erosion to me.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Contact Time Team now!!!
  • XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anastacia wanted to be an archaeologist before she wanted to be a singer. That's alls I know.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'd like to shake her bones!
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be worth checking if there were ant WW2 airfields around there. Many of them had a grass runway and temporary buildings. The only solid structures would be fuel and ammo stores.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go out with an archaeologist. Nice girl but her career was in ruins.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How big is the rectangular feature shown in the pictures?

I can't see any indication of the scale of the satellite images, and I'm not clear whether the linear features are hedges or lines of fully grown trees such as mature oak or beech. However, the rectangular marking certainly suggests that something had been there, but whether as a result of recent agricultural activity or something more ancient is impossible to tell from the pictures.

What's the location of the pictures?
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are plainly underground alien receiving stations. Is this area near where you live OP?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given it follows the hedge line its probably something reasonably modern, could be ww2 dwellings or anything, best bet is to go to the local library and dig out some old O/Survey maps and have a look to see if anything is listed and theres a massive WW2 photo archive somewhere in scotland thats got loads of old RAF photo's digitized
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I spent last summer scanning lots of slides from archaeological digs for a lecturer at work and to be honest those don't look anything like the ones I scanned. But they could be something more modern.
  • chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I used to go out with an archaeologist. Nice girl but her career was in ruins.

Agatha Christie's second husband was an archaeologist, Max Mallowan. She is reported to have said:

"An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her"