Options

Would you ever send hate mail to a stranger?

peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
Forum Member
✭✭
If someone had appeared in the media for committing a heinous crime such as hurting an animal, mugging an old person, or burgling people's homes, would you be tempted to send them hate mail?

If, for example, you found their profile on Facebook or Twitter, would you send them messages telling them what you thought of them or do you think that's a bit of a sad thing to do?

If the criminal lived in your neighbourhood but wasn't actually known to you, would you be tempted to start or join in a hate campaign against them, or would you "live and let live"?

Comments

• Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i have done so yeah. Sometimes its hard to control yourself when someone does something youre passionate about.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt do this, as i would consider it against the law

Have had it done to me, emails, letters, even phone calls, but didnt let it get to me, revenge is sweet, go onto the police, reported a crime, basil;cy harrasment, and a few weeks later the person was arrested, justice
  • Options
    peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i have done so yeah. Sometimes its hard to control yourself when someone does something youre passionate about.

What did you do and were there any repercussions?

I've messaged loads of animal abusers on Facebook. They usually respond with semi-literate abuse.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no of course not.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't no, because it would make me as 'bad' as them, but mainly because there's no way that anyone has ever been swayed or changed their opinion on anything by being sent hate mail. If anything it reinforces and entrenches their original view. It's a 'dig your heels in' mentality, as is I know all these people hate me but I'm ready to fight my corner.

Plus you lose the moral high ground, and most of all it's childish.

Sorry....I just don't get the hate mail thing.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no of course not.

I know. There seem to be a lot of people in this country who have far too much time on their hands. Like those that turn up to gawp at Royal events...
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    mainly because there's no way that anyone has ever been swayed or changed their opinion on anything by being sent hate mail. If anything it reinforces and entrenches their original view. It's a 'dig your heels in' mentality, as is I know all these people hate me but I'm ready to fight my corner.

It's basically the same as writing a complaint letter to BT.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. There seem to be a lot of people in this country who have far too much time on their hands....

People who sent me hate mail, didnt even know me, they just got my name and address out of the newspaper, which really makes them sad, and because of this, they now also have a criminal record :D:D:D
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I really wouldn't have the time.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who tries to find these people on FB??

Sorry but to me that makes the sendees completely unhinged!
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    roland rat wrote: »
    People who sent me hate mail, didnt even know me, they just got my name and address out of the newspaper, which really makes them sad, and because of this, they now also have a criminal record :D:D:D

Good, I'm very pleased for you. I did once have something slightly similar happen to me but as she was a very troubled young woman, it didn't quite have the same outcome. However had things been different I wouldn't have hesitated to go to the police because it was a horrible thing to go through.

As for hate mailing criminals in my area and the like- nope I'm happy enough to leave justice up to the law.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has never crossed my mind to send anyone hate mail, whatever heinous crime they may have committed. I certainly wouldn't join in any kind of hate campaign against someone, either.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't, no. Whatever they'd done would be nothing to do with me, it wouldn't even enter my head to send hate mail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    If someone had appeared in the media for committing a heinous crime such as hurting an animal, mugging an old person, or burgling people's homes, would you be tempted to send them hate mail?

If, for example, you found their profile on Facebook or Twitter, would you send them messages telling them what you thought of them or do you think that's a bit of a sad thing to do?

If the criminal lived in your neighbourhood but wasn't actually known to you, would you be tempted to start or join in a hate campaign against them, or would you "live and let live"?

bit harsh on a burglar to be compared with mugging an old lady
  • Options
    Forum Member
    only to a pedophile
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I'm not twelve. And I feel like a big enough tw*t as it is sparring with digital spy members.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Life is too short and besides, I get cramp if I write owt by hand.

My ex sends me them, though. Usually written on the prayer slips printed by his church. Rather ironic. God is good. It is just his followers that write in green ink.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ...Don't get why anybody sends people Hate Mail especially people they don't know ,
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you do and were there any repercussions?

I've messaged loads of animal abusers on Facebook. They usually respond with semi-literate abuse.

Tbh i cant remember now, i remember sending some abuse to a hunting holiday website (where people pay to hunt endangered animals). Omg just typing that makes my skin crawl.
    There was always once these 2 bullies on coach trip, and i cant stand seeing people being pettily bullied so I couldn't help saying something to them on twitter :o
    Also that news reader bbc 24 guy that was rude to that disabled man in the student protest.

It's really hard not to say to someone you're an asshole when they're being a total c***
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I wouldn't.

I did shop my neighbour to the RSPCA though when I saw her kicking her dog. Although that's not what you asked.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't send hate mail to anyone
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Of I course I haven't. Total waste of time and effort for all involved. Why would you think they would listen? Why would you think they would care? They're not on some TV popularity/talent show contest.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of I course I haven't. Total waste of time and effort for all involved. Why would you think they would listen? Why would you think they would care? They're not on some TV popularity/talent show contest.
    ^^^^^^ agreed... why waste your time, energy and effort to send hate mail... It only shows just how pathetic you are!

*just making it clear, that the 'pathetic' remark is not aimed at the person I have quoted... in case it has got 'Lost in Translation'*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Nope. Life is too short and besides, I get cramp if I write owt by hand.

My ex sends me them, though. Usually written on the prayer slips printed by his church. Rather ironic. God is good. It is just his followers that write in green ink.

have you tried the glue and newspaper method?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not. How ridiculous.