BBC will not play 'Ding Dong' on Sunday

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
Forum Member
According to the BBC and The Independent 'Ding Dong' song will not be played on Sunday.

This really shouldn't sit well with anyone who values free speech. How dare the establishment try to dictate how we should feel about the demise of Thatcher!:mad:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a472782/bbc-radio-1-will-not-play-full-margaret-thatcher-ding-dong-song.html

Comments

• scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,377
    Forum Member
    Just seen on news they will play around 4-5 seconds of the song.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how they've decided that in order to respect the grieving family they will replace the originally suggested 52-second music broadcast with wall-to-wall radio coverage and discussion.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I wonder which 5 seconds they will play, I bet it doesnt include the words 'the wicked witch is dead'
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pathetic. The Tories really do want us to be in the streets bawling away like we're in North Korea or something
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with their decision. An elderly woman has died. She wasn't Hitler for heaven's sake. I'll bet most of those who bought the download weren't even alive when she came into power anyway.

I didn't like Thatcher or her policies but there's something very nasty about celebrating a person's death.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cymrulady wrote: »
    According to the BBC and The Independent 'Ding Dong' song will not be played on Sunday.

This really shouldn't sit well with anyone who values free speech. How dare the establishment try to dictate how we should feel about the demise of Thatcher!:mad:

It's nothing new is it.
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    I agree with their decision. An elderly woman has died. She wasn't Hitler for heaven's sake. I'll bet most of those who bought the download weren't even alive when she came into power anyway.

I didn't like Thatcher or her policies but there's something very nasty about celebrating a person's death.

No she wasnt Hitler, he had some good traits ;)
    Forum Member
    I dont really care whether they play it or not, the fact is it will go down in history as being number one at that time and will be in all the records forever.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Godwin's is invoked.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How ironic that, after hearing all week how Thatcher was a champion of freedom and privatisation, her big sendoff will be a publicly funded funeral and media censorship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "To ban the record from our airwaves completely would risk giving the campaign the oxygen of further publicity and might inflame an already delicate situation."

well surely so will only playing 5 seconds of it. I wonder if they will play it the following week, after the funeral, if it's still in the charts.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

At least she got to be elderly when she died. Lot of her polices cause the early death of many.

It's a song that before would have been played.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    How ironic that, after hearing all week how Thatcher was a champion of freedom and privatisation, her big sendoff will be a publicly funded funeral and media censorship.

Very true. It's also reminiscent of her failed attempt to stop Sinn Fein getting their views across on telly (which was easily worked around by dubbing over them with actors), so it's kind of appropriate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    Pathetic. The Tories really do want us to be in the streets bawling away like we're in North Korea or something

Exactly! I haven't said anything disrespectful as of yet (but Lord knows I would be justified if I did. the town I live in was savaged by Thatcher's policies. 20,000 jobs just wiped out and the town still has one of the highest unemployment rates in the UK) and I won't start now. However, this is censorship. By buying this song people are making a political statement. To my knowledge that is still allowed in this country by law.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    "To ban the record from our airwaves completely would risk giving the campaign the oxygen of further publicity and might inflame an already delicate situation."

well surely so will only playing 5 seconds of it. I wonder if they will play it the following week, after the funeral, if it's still in the charts.

Only playing 5 seconds is the same as not playing it at all. This is censorship.
  • TerryallgoldTerryallgold Posts: 1,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every record that has been banned went straight to number 1 and fuelled the controversy. God Save The Queen for example
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Very true. It's also reminiscent of her failed attempt to stop Sinn Fein getting their views across on telly (which was easily worked around by dubbing over them with actors), so it's kind of appropriate.

Can you explain to me why they did that? You could see them but not hear their own voices but you could hear what they were saying. Quite what was the point of that? :confused:

This is one of the great mysteries in my life :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every record that has been banned went straight to number 1 and fuelled the controversy. God Save The Queen for example

Relax. It's only a song. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be cruel for them to play it, whatever she may have done that upset some people, her family did not. She has passed away, so what is the song actually achieving other than childish bitter humour and upsetting an already grieving family?
    It is them that would be punished and upset by it, for that reason the BBC are in my opinion correct to not play it in full.

Apparently Thatcher supporters/admirers are trying to counteract the song by downloading one by a punk group (titled 'I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher). Even if that got higher in the charts they shouldn't play it, as obviously its not fair to play a pro Thatcher song yet not play the rather cruel one as people from all sides will potentially find each song cruel somehow. Its all getting rather pathetic if you ask me.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with this. I wasn't born until 2 years after she stepped down as PM so I've always been fairly impartial about Thatcher but the old lass died from a stroke at the age of 87 whilst suffering from dementia. I don't have a problem with people who hated her but at least let her have a bit of dignity in death, if not for her then for her family.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I disagree with the decision. Mrs Thatcher's feeble opponents, who are still not able to articulate a popular and coherent alternative to what she did, should be allowed to have their full 51 seconds of "protest".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you explain to me why they did that? You could see them but not hear their own voices but you could hear what they were saying. Quite what was the point of that? :confused:

This is one of the great mysteries in my life :D

Basically I think the legislation was just very poorly worded- the intention was to stop them appearing on the news at all, but broadcasters very quickly found a mahoosive loophole, leading to hilarity, and providing the inspiration for this, which was only marginally sillier than actual reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Basically I think the legislation was just very poorly worded- the intention was to stop them appearing on the news at all, but broadcasters very quickly found a mahoosive loophole, leading to hilarity, and providing the inspiration for this, which was only marginally sillier than actual reality.

:D:D:D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. I wasn't born until 2 years after she stepped down as PM so I've always been fairly impartial about Thatcher but the old lass died from a stroke at the age of 87 whilst suffering from dementia. I don't have a problem with people who hated her but at least let her have a bit of dignity in death, if not for her then for her family.

I agree. She wasn't just one of the most divisive politicians in British history she was also a little old granny, bless her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC need to be careful. The Tories will just use it as another excuse to destroy the BBC and move it towards privatisation...