Ask fm

DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone come across this website? I think its somehow linked to facebook.

Do adults use this? Its vile, and appears to be full of teens anonymously bulling each other.

Just wondering if there is a use for it other than teens telling others to go and die

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    It's a horrible site. My daughter is banned for using it.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like a sort of Twitter for teenagers with learning difficulties.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter removed her account because of the bulling she saw on there.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it - my sons have't mentioned it but then it's not really their thing, they're hipsters. My teenager refuses to have a FB account and only uses Twitter to talk to his big brother - he is (apparently) quite well known on Tumblr, though... I've never even been on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive heard tumblr can be a bit dodgy at times too. My daughter has fb and Twitter but spends most of her time on whatsapp.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Ive heard tumblr can be a bit dodgy at times too. My daughter has fb and Twitter but spends most of her time on whatsapp.

Ack, maybe I should go on and have a nose round, then... He does seem to have quite a following from what my other son says.:eek:
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    It's a horrible site. My daughter is banned for* using it.

That should be *from.

I saw a few comments on there and banned her. Really vile.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    That should be *from.

I saw a few comments on there and banned her. Really vile.

Good! I don't understand how some parents are ok with their kids using sites like this, people can post anonymously about people who they have never even met. If it was up to me I'd have sites like this closed down permanently and vulnerable youths should not be exposed to them.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,218
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I don't use it - it's a load of worthless crap and I don't know what my mates see in it.

There's no point making ask.fm and then complaining that people are getting brave etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good! I don't understand how some parents are ok with their kids using sites like this, people can post anonymously about people who they have never even met. If it was up to me I'd have sites like this closed down permanently and vulnerable youths should not be exposed to them.

Me too, im glad my daughter closed hers of her own choice.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask FM is still going?

It really is an invitation for bullying, but to be honest, you don't actually have to answer the questions.

Personally, I'd just ignore/delete any unwanted or mean questions, and feel sorry for the people who have nothing better to do than send malicious messages to other people.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading about the girl who commit suicide due to the bullying she received.

Although it's obviously a terrible thing to have happened, I can't help but think she brought it on herself. Ask.fm is purely for egotistical kids to use in that they want people to compliment them anonymously. Unfortunately, this turned out against her and she has gone and killed herself for attention, which she originally wanted by using the Ask.fm website.

Now I know she's younger and all people are different, but I think the fact that I would shrug off any 'bullying' that would be directed at me is clouding my judgement. I can't seem to see how someone can take idiots online so seriously as to take your own life. There MUST have been some other underlying problems, it can't just have been via Ask.fm, it would have most likely been someone she has added on Facebook but has never even seen in real life but she just couldn't see that.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading about the girl who commit suicide due to the bullying she received.

Although it's obviously a terrible thing to have happened, I can't help but think she brought it on herself. Ask.fm is purely for egotistical kids to use in that they want people to compliment them anonymously. Unfortunately, this turned out against her and she has gone and killed herself for attention, which she originally wanted by using the Ask.fm website.

Now I know she's younger and all people are different, but I think the fact that I would shrug off any 'bullying' that would be directed at me is clouding my judgement. I can't seem to see how someone can take idiots online so seriously as to take your own life. There MUST have been some other underlying problems, it can't just have been via Ask.fm, it would have most likely been someone she has added on Facebook but has never even seen in real life but she just couldn't see that.

Part of the article I read says that she said she had been self harming, so i can certainly accept that there might have been some underlying problems there but killing herself for 'attention' ?.

I think the next statement probably clarifies that one though..
    I think the fact that I would shrug off any 'bullying' that would be directed at me is clouding my judgement

And as such, makes me think you should avoid stories like this because a keyboard warrior such as yourself clearly can't empathise with a troubled teenager.
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're being bullied there just delete your account and it will all stop. It's such a shit site anyway. Or are these steps a bit too difficult for people to understand?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're being bullied there just delete your account and it will all stop

Yes, because walking away from a bully is just that easy for kids. Clearly they're all fully developed emotionally with plenty of life experience to help them cope with the bullying.

That's bullying sorted then .. what next ? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keyboard warrior.. good one. It's just the way I feel about suicide, being close myself in the past. I have no respect for people who do it as it's much harder to get your mindset right again, I see it as the easy way out.

Letting so called keyboard warriors push you to kill yourself is just plain stupid, a drop in the ocean compared to some peoples problems. It's a shame that kids are so self conscious about their image now which I can only imagine is the main reason she felt down. Lowering herself to their level, which is what they wanted.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God on daybreak this morning (my own fault for watching it) they must have been running this every ten minutes, Ive never used ask.fm and i only know about it as a couple of friends on my facebook often post 'ask me anything' status updates linking to it. All seems a bit rubbish to me, but then im not a teenager. I do feel the father of this poor girl is perhaps wrongly blaming ask.fm (and posting his thoughts all over facebook 1 day after she killed herself is bloody weird, imo). Perhaps he should look a bit closer to home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Letting so called keyboard warriors push you to kill yourself is just plain stupid, a drop in the ocean compared to some peoples problems. It's a shame that kids are so self conscious about their image now which I can only imagine is the main reason she felt down. Lowering herself to their level, which is what they wanted.

You still seem to be failing to understand that the victim here was a child. You can't apply adult reasoning and sensibilities to a child's way of thinking no matter how "stupid" you might think it is.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keyboard warrior.. good one. It's just the way I feel about suicide, being close myself in the past. I have no respect for people who do it as it's much harder to get your mindset right again, I see it as the easy way out.

Wow.....

Empathy not your strong point then? :eek:
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter what the reasons are behind this young girl taking her own life, my heart goes out to her family and also to the girl herself.

She was obviously suffering and even though the family are lashing out at the moment, which is perfectly understandable, they will also blame themselves in some way.

Suicide is such a terrible thing to deal with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Kids will always talk trash when they congregate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow.....

Empathy not your strong point then? :eek:

It's through personal experiences, dealing and experiencing. Makes me angry that it wasn't spotted earlier more than feeling any empathy because it can always be beaten, IMO.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's through personal experiences, dealing and experiencing. Makes me angry that it wasn't spotted earlier more than feeling any empathy because it can always be beaten, IMO.

I hope this is a case of wordings sounding good in your head but just not translating with the same inflection of tone back to the reader...

Your personal experience is not applicable to all.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    "The person that created this website should be done for manslaughter."

so says the father :rolleyes:
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad I grew up when none of this stuff existed. It would have been terrible for me:o