Options

I think I've destroyed a friendship by being nice

IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
Forum Member
One of my friend's is having a run of bad luck at the moment. His wife and him both lost their jobs, but he's managed to get another although it's at less hours and less pay. He mentioned that he wasn't looking forward to holiday season as he'd promised his daughter her first holiday abroad, but due to circumstances he'd be lucky to get a weekend in Skegness let alone out of the UK. As he's been a decent friend over the years, I took it on myself to ask my mum if he could have a fortnight at a place she owns in Egypt and when she said yes I thought it would be nice to give him the option of an open-ended loan to pay for the flights for him, his wife and his daughter. When my mum said it was OK I approached him about it and he'd said he'd ask his wife about it.

Today I've had a phonecall from his wife and she was extremely abusive to me. She said she's sick of me "lording it over people" and I must love the fact I can "treat people like peasants who are grateful for any crumbs I drop". I asked her to explain what on Earth she was on about, and she said purely because my wife and I don't have money worries we like to rub people's faces in it. We apparently do this by making gestures that appear kind but, are just our way of making them feel inferior. Because of this neither of them want to speak to me again.

I thought it was simply a nice gesture. To be honest I don't care whether I get the money back or not, and it's my own way of paying him back for being a good friend. I'm not expecting him to do anything more than go on holiday and forget about the UK for a couple of weeks. Yes, I don't have any debt and even if my wife and I lost our jobs tomorrow money wouldn't be an immediate issue. We certainly don't "lord it" or "treat others like peasants". While I will admit I do get a certain level of "feel good" about it as I've made someone happy, I'm not expecting any more out of it. I won't be mentioning it constantly in an effort to make him feel "inferior" and the only people who would need to know would be him and his wife, me and my wife, and my mum (only because it's her place anyway).

I've spoken to a mutual friend and she reckons it's more down to his wife than it is him. She's said that he was actually pretty excited by the possibility and up for it, but his wife blew a stack when he told her. I've sent him a text, but he's said he doesn't want to speak to me any more so I have to abide by this. I can't force him to speak to me and I'm not even going to consider putting him into a position where he's in conflict with his wife.

If someone offered you this would you act in such a way? I know it may be a pride issue, but I generally thought I was doing something nice and not being offensive. If he'd said thanks but no thanks I'd have been fine with it, but I don't expect abuse when I try do something nice.

Comments

• Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I be your friend please? :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see both sides here. Pride can be a funny thing. He / they have probably misunderstood the reasoning for your offer.

He / they sound like they're going through a stressful time at the moment.

If this is a one off incident, and not usually in his nature... Maybe just send him one more message along the lines of .... I'm really sorry if I offended you With my offer. I genuinely didn't mean to, I really wanted to help. Sorry to hear you don't want to speak to me at the moment. I hope This can change soon. Hope all is well with you / your family. Text / call any time if you want to talk.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Coachtripfan talks sense.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your friends wife was very rude IMO. I can understand her wounded pride and the fact that she might not want to accept your offer but she should have declined in a more polite way.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You did a lovely unselfish thing, and your friend's ghastly shrew of a wife threw it in your face. If your mate doesn't have the ethics or the balls to stand up to his wife, or even to thank you for your generosity, then he's not worth your time.

Wounded pride my arse. These people have no idea how to behave.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I'll happily have your crumbs! Honestly, some people have such chips on their shoulders. What you did was a kind thing. Don't stop because of someone else's bad attitude. I'm sure your other friends appreciate you.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the only people who would need to know would be him and his wife, me and my wife, and my mum
    I've spoken to a mutual friend and she reckons it's more down to his wife than it is him

Bit of a contradiction here.
  • Options
    foxylady1969foxylady1969 Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Apart from the story being a whole load of twaddle like most of your other threads.

You haven't really kept anything private have you? You've already discussed it with a mutual friend who will no doubt discuss it with somebody else and so on.
    You also come on here to let the world and his donkey know what a good deed you've done and been rejected expecting validation of what a super guy you are (and getting it), well done.
    Instead of offering a no interest long time loan to a friend how about increasing your maintenance payments to 15 quid a week instead of the measly 10 you pay now.

I'd like to say words fail me, but obviously they don't.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't send them a postcard from your holiday this year.

Actually do, and address it to his wife.
  • Options
    orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you have done is an act of kindness to a friend. Putting it simply, the wife is running you off - as she is jealous of your friendship with her husband, or feels threatened by it. She just made that rubbish up to sound good, in order to cause the rift between you all.

It's sad your friend has allowed it to happen really.

If you get a chance openly tell the wife that you know why she has acted like that and expose her to herself and her husband. Truth will hurt more than anything else you can say.

It really is "their" loss.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction here.
    I asked her about it after I heard from the wife as the mutual friend knows her very well. His wife had mentioned it to her last night while they were out, and even she wondered what the hell was wrong with her. If it had been accepted I definitely wouldn't have been broadcasting it, unless they mentioned anything.
    Apart from the story being a whole load of twaddle like most of your other threads.

You haven't really kept anything private have you? You've already discussed it with a mutual friend who will no doubt discuss it with somebody else and so on.
    You also come on here to let the world and his donkey know what a good deed you've done and been rejected expecting validation of what a super guy you are (and getting it), well done.
    Instead of offering a no interest long time loan to a friend how about increasing your maintenance payments to 15 quid a week instead of the measly 10 you pay now.

I'd like to say words fail me, but obviously they don't.
    See above regarding discussing it with mutual friend.

Secondly, I suggest you go back and read the thread in regards to the CSA owing me money. I'll think you find I was overpaying by that amount each week.

***EDIT***
    I'm actually wondering whether anyone thought what I'd done is offensive and possibly how to show I wasn't intending to be offensive.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see their point a bit - instead of just letting them tighten their belts and get through the year, you are putting them on the spot with the offer of getting into what will still be some hefty debt. Possibly more than the original holiday they couldn't afford.

Yes, she could have been politer in her refusal, but she could be under stress.

Just apologise for any friction you may have caused, don't try to justify, and never mention it again.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it was a nice gesture and very thoughtful but sounds as though it hit a raw nerve and was misinterpreted. let the dust settle and if you think this friendship is for saving, apologise [even though you did NOTHING wrong].
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I can see it from both sides. It's a lovely gesture from you but if they are already struggling with the bills then I cannot see how adding another bill (loan) to the pile is helping them. You would be pushing them further into debt.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three morals here:

Money can't buy happiness

Never a borrower nor a lender be

and

Mind your own business
  • Options
    erasmus01erasmus01 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Also don't BS on DS
  • Options
    Shez_PalmerShez_Palmer Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Your friends wife was very rude and unappreciative. I can understand that they view kindness as patronizing at the best of times but you were just genuinely trying to help. The fact your friend hasn't shown face since the phone call proves he's probably not worth helping out again. When you go through tough times, the main person you have to rely on to get through it, is yourself. I also question this "friendship" after reading that.
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what you've said it sounds like it was the wife who created the feeling of inferiority in her own head and then blamed you for it. As the old saying goes, No good deed ever goes unpunished.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Three morals here:

Money can't buy happiness

Never a borrower nor a lender be

and

Mind your own business

Absolutely.

Think I may be a minority here, and I wouldn't have been rude about it but I can see where the wife is coming from.

If you had just said 'Do you want me to see if my Mum'll loan her Egyptian Villa' that would be cool. But to plough in and try to sort out THEIR problem, arranging the villa, planning loans - that's all a bit much. Swooping in to save the day because they can't do it for themselves. Making them feel inadequate. And if it is a pattern of behaviour then I can maybe even understand the rudeness - though of course not condone.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely.

Think I may be a minority here, and I wouldn't have been rude about it but I can see where the wife is coming from.

If you had just said 'Do you want me to see if my Mum'll loan her Egyptian Villa' that would be cool. But to plough in and try to sort out THEIR problem, arranging the villa, planning loans - that's all a bit much. Swooping in to save the day because they can't do it for themselves. Making them feel inadequate. And if it is a pattern of behaviour then I can maybe even understand the rudeness - though of course not condone.

I totally agree with this. If you'd just said you can stay at the villa as its lying empty this particular week but the offer of a loan for flights is a bit weird. No-one likes to borrow money from friends. I would wait a few days and send a text saying perhaps it came across the wrong and you hope you can just put it behind you and move on.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I took it on myself to ask my mum if he could have a fortnight at a place she owns in Egypt"
    "To be honest I don't care whether I get the money back or not"
    "I thought it was simply a nice gesture"
    "even if my wife and I lost our jobs tomorrow money wouldn't be an immediate issue"
    "I will admit I do get a certain level of "feel good" about it as I've made someone happy"

It sounds more about you than them.
    Have you not heard of people's pride?
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've painted them into a corner: now they'll have to admit that they can't afford flights or spending money. So you've crushed their self esteem to serve your own vanity.
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm similar to you OP - always happy to help someone if I can and often go the extra mile to do it.

I actually think the wife was incredibly rude. I'd ignore her, speak to him saying you were only trying to help. If he "forgives" you for trying to help then great. To hell with her.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really does sound like you were trying to lord it over them .I would just apologise to him and leave it at that .
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No good deed goes unpunished!

It sounds as if you were trying to be a good friend, but their pride got in the way!