Gay marraige -what do you think about it?

OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There is far too much hate in the world. So if people want to marry well done to them. Then again althugh I am not religious, their beliefs has to be respected also. Would an easier answer for gays is to set up their own church, or is that totally impossible to have it recognised,

What I find a totaly a shame is someone who is gay and religious and yet is rejected by the church they may wish to serve.

Comments

• HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all for it
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    About time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Disgusting.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    To briefly summarise: I'm all for people having equal rights as far as possible BUT I'm not the biggest fan of the institution of marriage.

In that sense I have mixed feelings.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I'm in civil partnership, which suits us fine.

Not opposed to those who want equal marriage though.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why somebody would be against gay marriage, unless they're a tyrannical authoritarian.

Every time I hear the excuse 'A father could marry his son' to avoid some sort of tax or whatnot I always think well duhh.. that's incest. Can a father marry his daughter at the moment? Er, no! Because that would be incest..

Some people seem to have very simple minds though
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I don't understand why somebody would be against gay marriage, unless they're a tyrannical authoritarian.

Every time I hear the excuse 'A father could marry his son' to avoid some sort of tax or whatnot I always think well duhh.. that's incest. Can a father marry his daughter at the moment? Er, no! Because that would be incest..

Some people seem to have very simple minds though
    Indeed.

Or, they're hypocritical preachers of the strict adherence to certain passages (chosen at random) from some old tomes written two thousand years ago by a bunch of peasant desert dwellers.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    That it's about bloody time.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with it. Let gay people have the choice same as the rest of us have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I'm in civil partnership, which suits us fine.

Not opposed to those who want equal marriage though.

I remember your thread a few years ago. Would you want to get married?

Here is the thread, I don't remember many on DS that didn't wish you well. You even said, I'm getting married:)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1133396&highlight=
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't care.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know how this works, anyway wait to the photo ops brigade are out the way.

Folk who made civil partnerships seem to be out of the spotlight at the minute.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the difference between civil partnership and marriage, please?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oldnbold wrote: »
    There is far too much hate in the world. So if people want to marry well done to them. Then again althugh I am not religious, their beliefs has to be respected also. Would an easier answer for gays is to set up their own church, or is that totally impossible to have it recognised,

What I find a totaly a shame is someone who is gay and religious and yet is rejected by the church they may wish to serve.

Church marriages should be strictly for believers.

However, the sexuality of those getting married should be irrelevant.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same way I feel about a heterosexual marriages, I couldn't care one bit. Though I do think if you don't attend church (regardless of sexuality), then you have no business getting married in one.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's great and really about time it happened.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would have been great news for gay Christians had the churches not got their exemption. Finally their relationships could be reconciled with their fear of censure at having sex out of wedlock.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Church marriages should be strictly for believers.

However, the sexuality of those getting married should be irrelevant.
    That's about the only comment you've ever posted that I agree with!
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a good thing. No one else's business IMO if two people of the same sex want to marry.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The same way I feel about a heterosexual marriages, I couldn't care one bit. Though I do think if you don't attend church (regardless of sexuality), then you have no business getting married in one.

I actually kind of agree with that and I'm not religious.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see the same effort put into huge global life threatening inequalities as has gone into this. It will never happen tho.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marvellous and about time.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I think the concept of "marrying" has been missed by a country mile and thus the term marriage has been somewhat bastardised to suit, but as long as people are happy, that's all that really matters.<shrugs>
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Everybody has the right to be equally miserable.

No I'm joking, I feel the same way about as I do marriage as a whole. It's not for me but if it makes you happy for for it
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    The only problem I have is that it should have happened years ago in fact it should never have been illegal at all.

But now it is here I think it's great