Options

Songs that were a hit back in the day but wouldn't be a hit these days?

Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What Singles that were Huge 20 years ago wouldn't be a huge hit now???

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You first. You started the thread, the least you can do is come up with one example :confused:
  • Options
    cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any of Westlife's number ones.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do The Bartman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Pretty much any 80s New Wave.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Jesus to a Child. Would this even get airplay today outside Radio 2? Fantastic song though. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok fair point. i would have to say East 17 Stay another Day.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See I would say with East 17 that one song could still be a #1 today due to it's lasting appeal however agree a lot of Westlife songs wouldn't.

Popularity #1's are a big one for this I think an artist quickly following a #1 hit soon after so a song like 'I Feel You' Peter Andre's second UK#1 probably wouldn't be a hit these days.

Can't think of any others.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine there's far too many to name, mostly boy band entries or whoever was a fad at the time.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Singles that were Huge 20 years ago wouldn't be a huge hit now???

To invert the question I suspect many of the hit singles of these days wouldn't have registered as highly 20 years ago. Even in 1994 (March) the chart was less homogenised. The Inpiral Carpets, Suede, Crowded House, Aretha Franklin, Elvis Costello, Beck, Meatloaf, Cranberries, Toni Braxton, Mariah Carey, Mötley Crüe, Smashing Pumpkins, Gabrielle, the Proclaimers, Sting were in the chart alongside the more usual dance record artists. And only two with featured artists!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Blobby
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say most songs by the spice girls.
    IMO the majority of their songs were terrible, but they got lucky, right place right time
    Five poor singers with poor songs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Space Man by Babylon zoo
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Cheesy pop songs by groups like Steps and S Club 7.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost anything that isn't awful, tacky 'dance' music it seems.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman, by Whistling Jack Smith.
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any baby boomer 60s or 70s artists who go 'pop' in the 80s (Henley, Collins, Winwood, Harrison, Frey etc etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by Right Said Fred
  • Options
    JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Japanese Boy' by Anneka (Mary Sandeman).
    1981 I think....
  • Options
    AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Unchained Melody' by Robson & Jerome.

Purely that in 2014, Robson Green is known for his fishing documentaries on Channel 5 & Jerome Flynn played a boxing copper in BBC1s Victorian flop-cop romp 'Ripper Street'.

Most #1s from the 1990s wouldn't be top 10 hits nowadays.
    Interesting that there's hardly been any cover versions of older songs in the higher-end of the single/download charts for a good five years... not counting 'talent' show participants & charity efforts.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member

Purely that in 2014, Robson Green is known for his fishing documentaries on Channel 5 & Jerome Flynn played a boxing copper in BBC1s Victorian flop-cop romp 'Ripper Street'.

More importantly he is in GOT.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I was listening to 'Pick of the Pops' last Sunday and the number one from 1972 was - 'Amazing Grace' by the pipe band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards!
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most #1s from the 1990s wouldn't be top 10 hits nowadays.
    Interesting that there's hardly been any cover versions of older songs in the higher-end of the single/download charts for a good five years... not counting 'talent' show participants & charity efforts.

'Unchained Melody' is from way back in the day (1955) and it's a rarity, a song that has been no.1 for three different artists. It has appeared as no 1 on many lists of the best love songs ever, appears in the top 500 greatest songs ever...I suspect that if 1D did a version, it would perform well in a modern chart actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More importantly he is in GOT.

I've never watched Game Of Thrones :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    'Unchained Melody' is from way back in the day (1955) and it's a rarity, a song that has been no.1 for three different artists. It has appeared as no 1 on many lists of the best love songs ever, appears in the top 500 greatest songs ever...I suspect that if 1D did a version, it would perform well in a modern chart actually.

For 1D to even attempt their rendition of such of classic song would indeed be sacrilege.. let's just hope it'll never see the light of day.
    It was bad enough being at #1 for 7 wks back in 1995 when hundreds of thousands of female 'Soldier Soldier' viewers bought the R & J version preventing Pulps 'Common People' from the top spot.. said tune was recently voted best Brit-pop anthem by BBC 6music listeners.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    The vast majority of songs from 20 years ago wouldn't be hits today imo. Even most hits from just 5 years ago wouldn't be big hits today. It would probably be easier to name which songs would still be hits today.