Options

Would You Stop Someone From Driving After A Drink?

occyoccy Posts: 65,177
Forum Member
✭✭
'If you found someone you knew or anyone else they have an Alcoholic drink then stepped into their car to drive would you stop them?' This means even if they have had one alcoholic drink? "Think road safety campaigners believe that people should do this, but in a nice possible, way to not lead into arguments."

Comments

• Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't stop someone if they had one drink although I would if they had more. I don't drink myself but would like to think someone would stop me from doing something stupid if they had to.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would you know if they have only had one? I don't think anyone should drive after having even one drop of Alcohol.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    How would you know if they have only had one? I don't think anyone should drive after having even one drop of Alcohol.

If you were in their company and had witnessed them having more than one or they were visibly drunk then you should stop them. I personally would not drive if I had drunk anything, however, one small drink will not put someone over the legal limit so if the police couldn't stop them from driving afterwards then I don't think I could.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What effect do you think one drop of alcohol has?
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Not after one drink, no, as long as it wasn't a treble scotch, or unless I suspected they had been pre-drinking earlier.

I have called a cab for a drunk friend though, after confiscating his car keys, as he had every intention of driving home. He was very angry with me at the time.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've taken car keys off drunk friends a few times in my life.
    Never from anyone who's had one drink though. A person with one drink in them would no doubt tell you that you were vastly over-reacting and overstepping the mark if you tried.
    And they'd be right.
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think I would after 1 drink but i would if i could see they'd had a few.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

good luck with trying to stop someone driving after one drink.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You just said they had one
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! If I stop them before, I can drink it instead.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not after one drink, but after a few, most definitely yes. In fact, I shopped my brother-in-law AND his wife for drink driving and they were both caught around 10am 4 times over the limit.

My wife was hit by a drunk driver when she was 16 and this has caused problems throughout her life - she's now in her 60s - so I'd shop any partially or totally drunk driver without any hesitation.