Corrie- 'Biggest Deal in NZ tv history'

LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
Forum Member
✭✭
Just thought someone might be interested in this story I just found. Its about a different channel trying to nick Corrie in New Zealand but it has stayed in its home of 40 years in what is described as the biggest deal in the history of New Zealand tv. :)
Corrie link

Comments

• Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer MacMillan of Wellington said she had been worried about missing out on Coronation Street. "My mother and father are huge fans and I was worried they would have a divorce over it."

A divorce over not seeing a soap?

How far behind is New Zealand?
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought someone might be interested in this story I just found. Its about a different channel trying to nick Corrie in New Zealand but it has stayed in its home of 40 years in what is described as the biggest deal in the history of New Zealand tv. :)
    Corrie link

Thanks for that, I was reading the story last week about there being a bidding war for it and was wondering who would get it. Didn't realise how big Corrie was in New Zealand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Mad Puppy wrote:
    A divorce over not seeing a soap?

How far behind is New Zealand?
    Far too far - i.e June 2004. Personally I was backing whoever played the most Corrie and caught us up - Kiwi for 5 generations as I am who is fed up as are most of us :mad:
  • LemonadeLemonade Posts: 4,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie link

Thanks for that info. Does sound intresting.
  • DippitDippit Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of me is glad that Prime didn't get the rights as of course some people would miss out, but then another part of Me thinks its a shame...Prime may have shown five episodes a week (Tv1 only shows four, hence why we keep on dropping further behind)...they have treated Eastenders pretty nicely since it came over to Prime last year.

BTW, Corrie gets about 700,000 viewers here for every episode. In a country of 4 million, thats equivilent to around 12 or 13 million in the UK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dippit wrote:
    Prime may have shown five episodes a week (Tv1 only shows four, hence why we keep on dropping further behind)
    Do TV1 show 4 episodes in 2 one hour blocks?
    If they do, does that work well or would you rather they showed them as half hour episodes?
    oh and whats the adverts like -How many breaks are there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, TV1 shows it like that...4 episodes in two one hour blocks. It works quite well...although they chop off the opening titles for the second episode and its really weird when a UK 8:30 Monday episode is the first in the block because they just use the short opening for that one...it kinda looks out of place if you know what I mean since it isn't shown in the context it is in the UK.

The breaks...hmmm...I think theres about three per hour...which is unusual but I guess they keeping with the UK ad breaks (Ie one in the middle of each episode as the Uk does it and then one in between to seperate the two)...although each ad break is much longer than it would be in the UK...with the ads its actually 1 hour and five minutes long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Dippit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Dippit wrote:
    Part of me is glad that Prime didn't get the rights as of course some people would miss out, but then another part of Me thinks its a shame...Prime may have shown five episodes a week (Tv1 only shows four, hence why we keep on dropping further behind)...they have treated Eastenders pretty nicely since it came over to Prime last year.

BTW, Corrie gets about 700,000 viewers here for every episode. In a country of 4 million, thats equivilent to around 12 or 13 million in the UK

When I go to NZ I rarely watch Corrie, I think it is on at an unfamiliar time of day ie. not early evening. I never met anyone who mentioned it and am surprised at the following attributed to it. Maybe I was too far out in the wop wops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It screens at 7:30pm Tuesday and Thursdays and is very popular. Its usually mentioned in all the TV magazines and stuff like that.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deleted post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a letter I found in the NZ TV Guide pertaining to the possible Corrie switch:
    Please tell me the rumour that Coro St (Corrie is called Coro here rather than Corrie) is going to Prime is a premature April fool's joke by some sicko who likes to pull the wings off butterflies and drop fireworks through old ladies letterboxes. There'd be an uproar in the many areas that can't get Prime. Quick, buy shares in satellite-dish companies

Vicky Jerome (Akaroa)
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how it's so popular over there. Maybe it's the British connection. It must be strange being that far behind knowing all these things are going to happen like Mad Maya, Karen leaving, Killer Katy etc.

I don't suppose Emmerdale is that popular there, is it? ;) I imagine it would cater to their taste though and I know it IS shown in NZ.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Dippit wrote:

Thanks, I was just gonna ask that.

Thats a good quality viewing figure.

How about Shortland Street?
  • LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ha ha- I guess most people wouldn't have been too chuffed if Prime had got Corrie then judging by the quote Dippit? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drifter wrote:
    I don't suppose Emmerdale is that popular there, is it? ;) I imagine it would cater to their taste though and I know it IS shown in NZ.
    Just had a look at their website and it's shown Weekdays at 12.30pm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And people say Coronation Street is on too much...
    http://www.cbc.ca/coronation/

one hour per night 4 nights per week! imagine the uproar that would cause here :D

The radio interview on that web page is quite good to listen to in the background
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that Canada? Doesn't that mean they'll catch up with us before long? Unless they have breaks...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my lord! :D I love Corrie but I'm not sure I could take that! :p
  • SafraSafra Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I think Corrie is suppose to be quite popular on that channel, and they are only airing double episodes for 10 weeks.

There would be absolute uproar here because there is already an overload of soap yet in the states/canada, the soap air in daytime so it wont be that bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I was just gonna ask that.

Thats a good quality viewing figure.

How about Shortland Street?

Shortland Street gets around 500,000...not bad considering its competition (Three current affairs shows by respective journalists on three different channels -don't ask)

Emmerdale does ok, but as someone said its shown at 12:30 in the afternoon. But its after the midday news, so I would imagine it would get good ratings for that time of day.

As for Canada showing more episodes...they wouldn't care as they are used to soaps screening for an hour and stuff, plus they would be happy to catch up...Like NZ Canada only usually shows 4 episodes of Corrie a week so they are falling further behind as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Canada and NZ then. :) I suppose you wouldn't mind it if they did it in NZ then? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly...I am getting frustrated at how slow the storylines seem to be on Corrie...they aren't actually slow, but since they are only playing 4 episodes, it moves much slowly than in the UK. We had Corrie on for an hour for three nights a week over the summer.