Options

Decorating

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Lol - not ones that kids use in school. These are big ones designed for wallpaper.

Don't believe they actually make one for wallpaper:confused:
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be faffing around with Pritt Sticks or decorators grade Blu Tac, just use drawing pins to hold the wallpaper up. Dead easy! I'm surprised this method isn't more widely used. Nothing sticky involved at all.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Don't be faffing around with Pritt Sticks or decorators grade Blu Tac, just use drawing pins to hold the wallpaper up. Dead easy! I'm surprised this method isn't more widely used. Nothing sticky involved at all.

Drawing pins! You cannot be serious. :o

It’s ‘decorators grade Blu-Tack’ all the way for me. It’s the ‘Professionals Choice’.
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But what about the holes? How do you hide them? :confused:
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The paintbrush is for the skirting boards. There are a couple of rolls of wallpaper in my shed I think. I'll use those and buy another couple from B & Q. I've got a big packet of a dozen Pritt Sticks to hang the paper with as someone told me it is a bit less messy than mixing paste.

Please take an after picture, this is going to be brilliant :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Uffa wrote: »
    But what about the holes? How do you hide them? :confused:

My ‘Haynes DIY decorators handbook’ has the answer; quote:

“the head of the drawing pin will cover the little hole; obviously.

To complete the job, carefully cut out a small circular matching piece of wallpaper and attach it to the head of the drawing pin using Blu-tack. (ordinary Blu-tack will suffice, no need to use the industrial strength stuff for this).

Ensure you match the pattern exactly, otherwise it will look shoddy and unprofessional.”

Easy........jobs a gud 'un
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »

To complete the job, carefully cut out a small circular matching piece of wallpaper and attach it to the head of the drawing pin using Blu-tack. (ordinary Blu-tack will suffice, no need to use the industrial strength stuff for this).

Ensure you match the pattern exactly, otherwise it will look shoddy and unprofessional.”

Doh! Should have thought of that. How thick I am. :D
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're going to decorate a room in your house without consulting your girlfriend? :o

That sounds like a great idea. Report back in week or so after you've recovered.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »

Or you could just use wallpaper with multicoloured spots and drawing pins with coloured heads - they'll be camouflaged and it means you don't have to faff about with cutting little circles of wallpaper to stick over them. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Or you could just use wallpaper with multicoloured spots and drawing pins with coloured heads - they'll be camouflaged and it means you don't have to faff about with cutting little circles of wallpaper to stick over them. :)

Another ‘top-tip’ here Mo; it’s spot-on (excuse the pun).

‘DS-Advice’..... the forum that just keeps giving!
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    60 minute makeover, Digital Spy style, I like it!! Lots of superb advice here, I hope Mo takes photos. :)
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice although I think the person who said to use drawing pins was winding me up. I've never done any decorating before so it's difficult to know who to listen to. I'm going to make a start this afternoon as Geraldine has gone to her parents earlier than expected. She'll be gobsmacked when she gets back.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Mo, please post some photos of the finished article.

I've picked up up some very handy ideas on this thread.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice although I think the person who said to use drawing pins was winding me up. I've never done any decorating before so it's difficult to know who to listen to. I'm going to make a start this afternoon as Geraldine has gone to her parents earlier than expected. She'll be gobsmacked when she gets back.

I'm sure she will......... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So pleased you are starting today mo. Geraldine will love it. Please put pics up. Thanks. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Uffa wrote: »
    So pleased you are starting today mo. Geraldine will love it. Please put pics up. Thanks. x

Don't forget to leave all the windows open when you're painting Mo - the warm air will help the paint dry, and the flies and wasps and dust that get stuck to the skirting boards and other paintwork will add an interesting textured quality to your work.... :)
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a horrible feeling that by "Pritt Sticks", Mo means those repair adhesive sticks, used to just touching up a peeling edge,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phew ! Just finished for the day. Absolutely covered in paint and had a bit of trouble with the wallpaper. It isn't sticking too well so I've only done half of the room. I think I'll leave it as it is and just paint the other half. It's a lot more tricky than I thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phew ! Just finished for the day. Absolutely covered in paint and had a bit of trouble with the wallpaper. It isn't sticking too well so I've only done half of the room. I think I'll leave it as it is and just paint the other half. It's a lot more tricky than I thought.

I hope you remembered to paper the ceiling - that's the most important bit!
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope you remembered to paper the ceiling - that's the most important bit!

Only half the ceiling though, otherwise it won't match the walls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You couldn't have painted a papered a room in one day, it's impossible. WUM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

I painted the skirting boards as I said earlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Only half the ceiling though, otherwise it won't match the walls.

Very good point. He can just paint the rest! Geraldine will be thrilled.... :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very good point. He can just paint the rest! Geraldine will be thrilled.... :cool:

I've painted the rest of the room the same colour as the wallpaper on the other two walls. You can hardly notice. A slight problem is that I've run out of paint and B & Q don't have any more in that colour. There's a little bit left to do so I've moved the bookshelves over a bit to cover it up.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

I take it this is your first experience of the magical life of Mo and Geraldine? Wasn't the whole pritt-stick thing kind of a clue that this was not entirely serious?

Mo, don't worry about running out of paint. Just cut some pictures and articles out of magazines and newspapers and glue them onto the unpainted bits of the wall, to create the very fashionable 'celebrity-stalker-possibly-serial-killer' look.