Claire Balding to replace Aled Jones on Good Morning Sunday

the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
Forum Member
✭✭
Looks like taking on the Daybreak gig and hosting a weekly show on R2 has become too much for Aled, as Claire will be replacing him on GMS from January!
Article below says he will be staying at R2 though and will be presenting a series on musicals which will go out later in the year. :)

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/oct/12/clare-balding-radio-2

Comments

• BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Like we haven't already had enough of Claire Balding
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who wants to get up at 4am on a Sunday morning to discuss spirtuality with a bunch of minor celebs? Some gigs arent worth the fee.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess contracts are renewed and he probably wants to spend time with his family. He's got a lot of grilling schedules with a Tour next year too, and recording Songs Of Praise, as well as Daybreak.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    She's doing the gee gees for C4 from January, busy weekends for Ms B
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    She's doing the gee gees for C4 from January, busy weekends for Ms B
    As well as other sport such as rugby league for the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob Shennan is filling station with as many female presenters as he can find at present, either cover - or their own shows.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,669
    Forum Member
    She's without doubt the flavour of the moment with broadcasters after her superb Olympics and Paralympics coverage
  • tezenistezenis Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Because it would be ridiculous to give the gig to a radio presenter wouldn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tezenis wrote: »
    Because it would be ridiculous to give the gig to a radio presenter wouldn't it?
    She's long been a radio broadcaster. A very skilled one, with a long running Radio 4 series and a lot of work anchoring major sports events for 5Live.

So she's a highly skilled communicator, very popular at the moment who people might just be getting into for the first time. This appointment is a no brainer at the moment.
  • tezenistezenis Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    She's long been a radio broadcaster. A very skilled one, with a long running Radio 4 series and a lot of work anchoring major sports events for 5Live.

So she's a highly skilled communicator, very popular at the moment who people might just be getting into for the first time. This appointment is a no brainer at the moment.

There's a world of difference between sports anchoring or reporting, documentary narration and radio presentation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tezenis wrote: »
    There's a world of difference between sports anchoring or reporting, documentary narration and radio presentation.
    Tell us more.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone has to get used to it. Basically Radio 2 will is to become a female based station. :)
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Yes Occy. Chris Evans, Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine, Steve Wright, Simon Mayo. Radio 2 defininately has too many women on peak time shows...

Back on track, Claire Balding is at the top of her game. Her versitility during the Olympics and Paralympics clearly showed that. She could have easily taken the easy option and gone to a nice cosy show on Classic FM. Radio 2 are very lucky to have persuaded her to do GMS.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Occy. Chris Evans, Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine, Steve Wright, Simon Mayo. Radio 2 defininately has too many women on peak time shows...

Claire Balding is at the top of her game. Her during the Olympics and Paralympics clearly showed that. . Radio 2 are very lucky to have persuaded her to do GMS.

I don't doubt her 'versitility', but that is hilarious, in an embarrassing kind of way ! :eek:
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lesbian doing the 'God Slot',,,the Daily Mail will be having kittens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    The BBC didnt renew Aled's contract for GMS, that is why Claire is taking over. Aled didnt want to leave, but I guess the powers that be at the BBC, decided that because he has moved over to ITV to do Daybreak, that they wouldnt offer him a new contract, which I find really petty of them. Other presenters such as Alan Titchmarsh work for ITV, and yet hes allowed to still do his radio programme for the Beeb, so why cant Aled..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC didnt renew Aled's contract for GMS, that is why Claire is taking over. Aled didnt want to leave, but I guess the powers that be at the BBC, decided that because he has moved over to ITV to do Daybreak, that they wouldnt offer him a new contract, which I find really petty of them. Other presenters such as Alan Titchmarsh work for ITV, and yet hes allowed to still do his radio programme for the Beeb, so why cant Aled..
    You guess?

And then you go on to criticise the BBC for doing something even though you admit you don't know the facts?

Welcome to Digital Spy.
    Forum Member
    Quite. Unless Todd knows the exact details of Aled's contract and the negotiations surrounding it, that is nothing but pure speculation.
    Forum Member
    A lesbian doing the 'God Slot',,,the Daily Mail will be having kittens.

Which will make them look even more bigoted, if that's possible.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know anyone in the industry who has a good word to say about Aled as a person, so I won't be missing him.

I'm hardly a regular listener to the programme and I've had a few very positive dealings with Clare, but I do think the programme should have gone to someone with a known religious faith.

That said, I'd much rather spend an evening in Clare's company than Aled's. He claims to be a man of faith but certainly doesn't live it with his behaviour.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Everyone has to get used to it. Basically Radio 2 will is to become a female based station. :)

More than one woman and its a "female based station"! :rolleyes:
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here we go again a successful TV presenter on Radio 2.
    do you think the presenters on local radio may as well give up any hope of ever working on Radio 2
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC didnt renew Aled's contract for GMS.

If you re-read my original post and the Guardian article, you'll see that Radio 2 haven't not renewed his contract, as he's going to be doing a pre-recorded series on musicals, later next year.
    He's obviously just decided to ease up on his commitments going in to 2013, as has been mentioned by previous posters, he has a tour and Songs of Praise, as well as Daybreak, so if his contract was up for renewal, he and R2 probably looked on it as a mutual way to bring his tenure on GMS to a close, but allow him to stay on the network with a reduced schedule and allow him to commit to his other projects. :)
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Claire Balding who was busy using four letter words on BBC1 last night. Clearly she"s perfect for the job. Well, she is a currently fashionable gay, female television presenter which in the BBC's eyes hits all the right boxes. The question of any declared interest in spiritual matters doesn't appear to be one of the boxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you re-read my original post and the Guardian article, you'll see that Radio 2 haven't not renewed his contract, as he's going to be doing a pre-recorded series on musicals, later next year.
    He's obviously just decided to ease up on his commitments going in to 2013, as has been mentioned by previous posters, he has a tour and Songs of Praise, as well as Daybreak, so if his contract was up for renewal, he and R2 probably looked on it as a mutual way to bring his tenure on GMS to a close, but allow him to stay on the network with a reduced schedule and allow him to commit to his other projects. :)

No contract, just freelance his services to Radio 2.