Best Eurovision Song that Never Won?

12346»

Comments

• Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I'm amazed that it took 112 replies before the correct answer (:)) was given.

The answer is of course IMO our entry from 1968 - Congratulations by Cliff Richard. It was beaten into second place by La La La from Spain. Cliff's record went on to sell over 1 million copies.

I think that song is mediocre, yes it's well-known, but it was so old-fashioned even for 1968. When you consider The Beatles released Sgt. Pepper the previous year and psychedelic pop was pushing music forward it makes you realise just how quaint Eurovison was back then. I think the contest is much better now because it actually reflects what is currently popular, the last few winners have been very contemporary.

Only my opinion of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Hemel En Aarde, Edisilia for the Netherlands in 1998. Great song, much better than Dana International that year.

One of the best songs ever! Definitely should have won that year.

However if we're talking all years Israel were definitely robbed in 95 with Amen - this is how you incorporate choreography into a ballad! I'm glad the UK jury agreed with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXUcp9v7dU
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I See A Star - Mouth & MacNeal (Netherlands) 1974
  • dephanix02dephanix02 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Ani Lorak - Shady Lady (Ukraine). They don't make em' like that anymore!
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool vibes - vanilla ninja 2005. Just love this song beyond words and still sounds great almost 10 years on.
  • MallaryMallary Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I always think that Kathy Kirby should have won her year instead of France Gall.
  • thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beth - Dime in 2003. Spain's best entry ever. Still sounds fresh today :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    thaliafan wrote: »
    Beth - Dime in 2003. Spain's best entry ever. Still sounds fresh today :)

My favourite ever Spanish entry. I was surprised it didn't make it to the Top 5.

I went on holiday to Spain a couple of months after the contest and the song was still being played EVERYWHERE. :D
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yassou Maria <3!
  • thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    My favourite ever Spanish entry. I was surprised it didn't make it to the Top 5.

I went on holiday to Spain a couple of months after the contest and the song was still being played EVERYWHERE. :D

We had to learn the lyrics in Spanish class! And whenever me and my school friends meet, to this day, we still put it on and sing along off by heart :)

No pierdo la fe! Poom poom poom poom (with compulsory hip shaking!)
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallary wrote: »
    I always think that Kathy Kirby should have won her year instead of France Gall.
    Definitely not, "Poupee de cire, poupee de son" is one of the most iconic winners of all time, if not the most iconic :)
  • MallaryMallary Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Definitely not, "Poupee de cire, poupee de son" is one of the most iconic winners of all time, if not the most iconic :)

Maybe.. I do like Poupée De Cire, Poupéee Son but Kathy had perfect vocals on the night. And I really mean perfect - no one can criticize her for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verka Serduchka- I will now crawl into a little hole.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've created a list of alternative winners since 1956 on the rateyourmusic site, based on that site's user rankings. It's a rock site primarily. Some surprising winners on the list. Their highest ranked winner is 'Poupee de cire' from '65, followed by 'Nocturne' from '95. 'Volare' from '58 is the highest placed non-winner.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/vauxhall1964/eurovision_winners___as_decided_by_members_of_rate_your_music/