Found some used Apple EarPods on the train....safe to use?

Comments

• PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You keep on saying they're crap and I keep on reminding you that they cost £25 and have a built in remote and mic. The sound quality is okay, but not top of the range. They're not crap at all IMO.

I'm using some right now (brand new not second hand) and I say that they're crap... Who cares about the remote and the mic when the sound quality is awful?! And just because they cost £25 that doesn't mean they're not crap, it just means that they're a waste of money if you buy them.

Having said that... I firmly believe in finders keepers and I keep (or sell) anything I find, I'm aware that the law doesn't support finders keepers but I don't care about that. I wouldn't use any dirty earphones that I found though, they'd go straight in my "to sell" pile.
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I'm using some right now (brand new not second hand) and I say that they're crap... Who cares about the remote and the mic when the sound quality is awful?! And just because they cost £25 that doesn't mean they're not crap, it just means that they're a waste of money if you buy them.

Having said that... I firmly believe in finders keepers and I keep (or sell) anything I find, I'm aware that the law doesn't support finders keepers but I don't care about that. I wouldn't use any dirty earphones that I found though, they'd go straight in my "to sell" pile.

So if you lost something and I found it, you would be very happy for me to sell it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you lost something and I found it, you would be very happy for me to sell it?

Yes I would... I lost is an expensive necklace that I got for my 18th birthday on a bus a while ago and I didn't even bother to phone up and see if it had been handed in. The way I see it, I was careless enough to lose it and someone else profiting from my carelessness is a lesson to me to look after my things better.

I take care of me and my kids first, and if that's at the expense of someone careless then so be it. I'm a selfish bitch like that.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would... I lost is an expensive necklace that I got for my 18th birthday on a bus a while ago and I didn't even bother to phone up and see if it had been handed in. The way I see it, I was careless enough to lose it and someone else profiting from my carelessness is a lesson to me to look after my things better.

I take care of me and my kids first, and if that's at the expense of someone careless then so be it. I'm a selfish bitch like that.

i dont agree with that, if you find something, it should be handed in..

and if you dont care about a necklace given to you as a present, then you obviously dont understand the value of money..
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

But that shows a lack of respect for the person who bought you the jewellery, that you didn't even bother to see if it had been handed in. Most people (not all, as noted on this thread) aren't dishonest, grasping, thieves, and if they find something that belongs to another, will hand it in. Not everyone is amoral, thank goodness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont agree with that, if you find something, it should be handed in..

and if you dont care about a necklace given to you as a present, then you obviously dont understand the value of money..

Having had to skip meals myself just to be able to afford to feed my kids I'm very much aware of the value of money... I did care about the necklace but I know where I left it and I know it would have been sold not handed in so there was no point in me chasing it up, and that was my own fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that shows a lack of respect for the person who bought you the jewellery, that you didn't even bother to see if it had been handed in. Most people (not all, as noted on this thread) aren't dishonest, grasping, thieves, and if they find something that belongs to another, will hand it in. Not everyone is amoral, thank goodness.

You're right, I have zero respect for my dad... If I had been smart I would have sold it the day after he gave it to me. And I have morals, they may be different to yours but I still have them.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I'm fully aware that it's "not right" but I am who I am. I've returned plenty of things to people in my time and I've kept things as well. If you want a more simplistic explanation, it's more on a "case by case" basis..

I'm not disputing that. I'm very sure you are who you are. That doesnt make it right.

And returning stuff you found isnt "quota" based - you do it every time.
    But I have lost stuff and not got it back. In the last five years I've lost a Victorinox pen knife, designer sunglasses, a new t-shirt I left in a cafe. Shit happens. If I'd found a big item like an iPad or expensive camera I'd have handed it in somewhere.

How has any of that got anything to do with not keeping stuff you find?!

Its not for you to decide the hand-in trigger value.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

So you'd sell the dirty earphones instead to another person who would be unaware that there is dirty ear wax in it? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see your point people shouldn't be careless, but what if something accidentally fell out of your pocket or bag, or your bracelet came loose, or something like that. I wouldn't necessarily call that carelessness. I have dropped money before, and was surprised when it was not only picked up but returned to me. Now I wouldn't have blamed anyone for taking it really. Restored my faith in humanity. A lot of nice honest people out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see your point people shouldn't be careless, but what if something accidentally fell out of your pocket or bag, or your bracelet came loose, or something like that. I wouldn't necessarily call that carelessness. I have dropped money before, and was surprised when it was not only picked up but returned to me. Now I wouldn't have blamed anyone for taking it really. Restored my faith in humanity. A lot of nice honest people out there.

I generally don't put stuff where it can fall out... The circumstances in which I lost the necklace was definite carelessness.

It's the same rationale for why I don't have insurance on my phone... Knowing that I would have to replace it myself makes me more careful with it. If I lose or break it through my own carelessness then the cost of a new one teaches me a big lesson.

I have handed things in in the past when I've been in a good financial situation myself. But when I'm struggling financially and I find something of some value its like a blessing, provision from God.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    things like clinell wipes will kill nearly everything you can basically wipe everything down and be safe knowing anything nasty will be killed off its what the hospitals its well worth keeping a pack in the house because they can be used on anything.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

Be sure to let us all know your eBay user i.d. then we can avoid it. Thanks. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member

In my experience the sound quality is perfectly okay.

And the ability to answer and take calls is very important to me, much more so than listening to music on the go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Be sure to let us all know your eBay user i.d. then we can avoid it. Thanks. :o

I don't use eBay for selling so you're perfectly safe :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extremist terror groups have been smearing a deadly poison derived from puffer fish onto earphones and leaving them on buses and tubes. It's kills upon skin contact within 60 seconds.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EmilyJEG wrote: »
    Whatever happened to handing things in that you find?!

I have found phones, wallets ect and not once have I handed them in, too much hassle and a waste of my time.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Having had to skip meals myself just to be able to afford to feed my kids I'm very much aware of the value of money... I did care about the necklace but I know where I left it and I know it would have been sold not handed in so there was no point in me chasing it up, and that was my own fault.

You should have chased it up. You might have been surprised. I handed in a wallet someone had dropped on a Tube platform that had over £100 of cash in it. My mother recently lost an obviously expensive gold bracelet, and contacted London Transport, to see if it had come off on her bus journey and someone had handed it in. It had, and they had. Thank God you weren't on that bus as it was given to her by my late father and had enormous sentimental value.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I have found phones, wallets ect and not once have I handed them in, too much hassle and a waste of my time.

It still surprises me (though I don’t know why) just how many people on forums are quite happy to glibly announce , to all and sundry, dubious behaviour of this type; .................not preaching, just a personal observation. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    It still surprises me (though I don’t know why) just how many people on forums are quite happy to glibly announce , to all and sundry, dubious behaviour of this type; .................not preaching, just a personal observation. :(

If I found a wallet or purse and it had credit cards or some other way or identifying the owner then I would make an effort to return it to its rightful owner. But if it was just money and no way of identifying the owner then I would keep it. Why? Because if I handed it in to a shop or station or wherever I found it there is a very strong likelihood that the person who I handed it in to would simply keep the money themselves. What would be the point in that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet you spend a lot of time on here wasting your time. But you're happy to do that. Just an observation but at least if you "wasted time" handing something in that could be returned to its owner you would have done something good.;-)
  • austino6austino6 Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    One of the most funniest threads of 2014!

BTW would you still use them if they were shoved up his ass?
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    If I found a wallet or purse and it had credit cards or some other way or identifying the owner then I would make an effort to return it to its rightful owner. But if it was just money and no way of identifying the owner then I would keep it. Why? Because if I handed it in to a shop or station or wherever I found it there is a very strong likelihood that the person who I handed it in to would simply keep the money themselves. What would be the point in that?

The point in that is that you would be doing the right thing and you would at least be increasing the chances of the person getting their money back. Not everyone is dishonest and selfish.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed, the sound quality is terrible. You can spot a real music lover instantly as they've ditched the stock headphones at the first opportunity.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Extremist terror groups have been smearing a deadly poison derived from puffer fish onto earphones and leaving them on buses and tubes. It's kills upon skin contact within 60 seconds.

Yes, I have heard about this as well. It's a nasty business and no mistake.

You could end up like this Mr Keegan. :o
    http://www.cinemaglob.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/goonies10425.jpg