Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and how did that work out for you F.W. ?

Should have stuck to sensible ideas like building skyscrapers in New York. Oh wait........!

Oh F.W. was fine; when he died he was worth US$6.5m. It was the people who followed him who were the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Victor's now sniffing around again as he's been blown out.

Where's George? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Miss Mardle would have looked to give the job to Doris if Mr. Grove had proposed Kitty?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was Mr. Crabbe I'd be worried about an automatic nutcracker. :D

Rose should just tell Harry the truth; he knows most of it anyway. Presumably she fears her children finding out more.

Much better episode tonight - again, when it shows how ideas were born to do with shopping the quality of the episode steps up.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK so Selfridges are still going, but who shops there as they would during the Woolworths days ?

I do like to go around the grocery and food department in the Trafford Centre branch, but paying the prices is another thing.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Rose should just tell Harry the truth; he knows most of it anyway. Presumably she fears her children finding out more.

Much better episode tonight - again, when it shows how ideas were born to do with shopping the quality of the episode steps up

It certainly does. The staff characters become more active rather just letting Mr Selfridge drive the show.

I really hope Mr Leclair isn't doing the dirty on Agnes:(

Mr Crabb nearly had a heart attack, looking at Mrs Crabb's shopping and hearing Mr Selfridge encourage her to shop more:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    It certainly does. The staff characters become more active rather just letting Mr Selfridge drive the show.

I really hope Mr Leclair isn't doing the dirty on Agnes:(

Mr Crabb nearly had a heart attack, looking at Mrs Crabb's shopping and hearing Mr Selfridge encourage her to shop more:D

I think that French lady who appeared earlier in the series is returning which is going to cause Mr. Leclair an issue.

I wish next week's plot would be based on something revolving around the shop. It seems to be more relationship based again; I hope I'm wrong. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yes I can't really work out this 'focusing on the side characters' thing. It almost seems as if we know just as much about the minor characters now as we do about the supposed heroine of the piece, Agnes. Well I'm assuming she's meant to be the heroine or maybe that's just 'cause I conflate her with the Denise character in The Paradise. The show flits between different characters each week. Kitty is really a ridiculous character too - a real caricature of a silly shop girl.

I think it is a lot more interesting to see the storylines of all the different characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that French lady who appeared earlier in the series is returning which is going to cause Mr. Leclair an issue.

I wish next week's plot would be based on something revolving around the shop. It seems to be more relationship based again; I hope I'm wrong. :o

Yeah, you've pointed this out again and again. And I'm beginning to see it.

That department store is the show's biggest and most glamourous character, not Mr Selfridge. It's large, incredibly beautiful with its marble floorings, set in a fast moving cosmopolitan city, and you can see on the surface what new innovations Mr Selfridge brought to early commerical retailing.

If they wanted to make a story out of Mr Selfridge, it would've been more interesting to see this through the eyes of the department store, its staff and how Mr Selfridge's ideas was having an affect on the human characters and their relationships as a whole. That's what we saw a little of tonight, especially with Agnes and Mr Leclair as they walked through the market for ideas to sell to the mass market.

They do dip in and out of doing it this way, but Mr Selfridge's family seems so detached from whatever is going on with the store. I tend to switch off during those family scenes unfortunately:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Yeah, you've pointed this out again and again. And I'm beginning to see it.

That department store is the show's biggest and most glamourous character, not Mr Selfridge. It's large, incredibly beautiful with its marble floorings, set in a fast moving cosmopolitan city, and you can see on the surface what new innovations Mr Selfridge brought to early commerical retailing.

If they wanted to make a story out of Mr Selfridge, it would've been more interesting to see this through the eyes of the department store, its staff and how Mr Selfridge's ideas was having an affect on the human characters and their relationships as a whole. That's what we saw a little of tonight, especially with Agnes and Mr Leclair as they walked through the market for ideas to sell to the mass market.

They do dip in and out of doing it this way, but Mr Selfridge's family seems so detached from whatever is going on with the store. I tend to switch off during those family scenes unfortunately:(

I agree; I'm getting sick of Roddy Temple. I hope Harry gets rid of him next week so we don't have to concern ourselves with that plotline. I can just above live with Agnes/Leclair and Miss Mardle/Mr Grove because it's interesting that the 'no relationship' rule means they can't talk about it hence they have to button up their emotions.

But now they've commissioned a second series it has to be commercially based; as you say, the shop should be the focal point.

On the plus side, I can see signs of Jeremy Piven finally working out how to play Harry - he's still that forward thinking brash character but he's not yelling every line now.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a lot more interesting to see the storylines of all the different characters.

Hmm I found it boring when it was too focused on Doris and Kitty last week. This week's ep was far better IMO but then as others have said it was actually more about the retail side which may have been part of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree; I'm getting sick of Roddy Temple. I hope Harry gets rid of him next week so we don't have to concern ourselves with that plotline. I can just above live with Agnes/Leclair and Miss Mardle/Mr Grove because it's interesting that the 'no relationship' rule means they can't talk about it hence they have to button up their emotions.

But now they've commissioned a second series it has to be commercially based; as you say, the shop should be the focal point.

On the plus side, I can see signs of Jeremy Piven finally working out how to play Harry - he's still that forward thinking brash character but he's not yelling every line now.

Yeah, I noticed that, too, haha:D!!
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I like the store action far more than the family scenes too. The family is actually kind of boring, the daughter in particular. She is just a lifeless character for me. Mrs. S. is getting on my nerves a bit now.

I think that Doris causes a little jealousy re:Groves as he seems a bit taken with her, that is why Kitty was pushed forward. Not a big Kitty fan, overall, myself.

I thought for sure Mrs. B. would be found in the river during the big sale. Still think she might be, at some point, before HS gets a chance to "help" her. I think he will try though.

Faster-moving episode for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

But it probably wasn't filmed in order; most shows aren't. So you are not necessarily seeing Jeremy Piven's later performances as Harry after his earlier ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed last nights episode, after last week's not so great episode.

Was good to see more of the shop, and the focus on the sale.
    I've just read what happens to Miss Bunting... gonna be sad, I really wanted Harry to help her
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member

Much better episode tonight - again, when it shows how ideas were born to do with shopping the quality of the episode steps up.
    I should say....:eek:
    I wonder who will win in the long run; Selfridges or Woolworths?

:D
    Time will tell....:rolleyes:

Just remembered......The Ad with Audrey Hepburn during one of the breaks of Mr S......Very clever.:cool:
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Well I am finding hard to really 'like' any of the characters. Mr Grove is not a very nice person, neither it seems is Roddy and as for Agnes hopping straight into bed with Henri, she would have been considered a very loose woman in those days. You can't even blame a moment of passion because she agreed to it before they had even begun.

The only interesting bit in last night's episode was the banter between F.W and Gordon S.

I won't be a bit sorry when it finishes unlike The Paradise, which has got to be my favourite series of 2012...
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Well I am finding hard to really 'like' any of the characters. Mr Grove is not a very nice person, neither it seems is Roddy and as for Agnes hopping straight into bed with Henri, she would have been considered a very loose woman in those days. You can't even blame a moment of passion because she agreed to it before they had even begun.

The only interesting bit in last night's episode was the banter between F.W and Gordon S.

I won't be a bit sorry when it finishes unlike The Paradise, which has got to be my favourite series of 2012...

I think you are representing what a lot of people are saying which is that the most interesting part of this drama is obviously the 'retail side'. The side characters and also the story lines of the selfridge family are generally boring and have surprisingly been focused on A LOT MORE than the retail side. This episode by far however was the best.

As for the paradise, yes that was much better and mr selfridge may have actually helped the paradise because, unlike selfridges, the paradise was tucked away in the tuesday timeslot and didn't have the HUGE advantage of the sunday night primetime slot. Many people who have watched mr selfridge may have heard of the paradise and that could get a lot of extra viewers for the paradise this october.
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've liked this show from the start - and was happy to hear it had been renewed for a second series.

Unlike so many here, I LIKE the slow pace - I don't want everything wrapped up in one episode and I like seeing the characters develop over time. Downton Abbey (which I loved the first series) went downhill for me when they skipped through time at breakneck speed.

I like the characters and certainly care what happens to them. I hope Agnes gets a happy ending and my heart breaks for Miss Mardle. I fear Mr Groves is going to decide he needs a 'fresh start'.
  • GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to like this but find it almost embarrassing at times. So smarmy, amazed it got another series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suze wrote: »
    Unlike so many here, I LIKE the slow pace - I don't want everything wrapped up in one episode and I like seeing the characters develop over time. Downton Abbey (which I loved the first series) went downhill for me when they skipped through time at breakneck speed.

I like the characters and certainly care what happens to them. I hope Agnes gets a happy ending and my heart breaks for Miss Mardle. I fear Mr Groves is going to decide he needs a 'fresh start'.

Oh I love slow burners too - that's why I really liked series 1 of The Killing and shows like Rubicon and Complicit (that aired on channel 4 last week). It's just that I don't find characters like Kitty interesting or complex enough to support about one third of an hour ep being about them. I actually don't mind this show when it focuses on the business side of things and the Selfridge family - with a bit of the ep about minor characters like Doris as support.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched almost every episode of the show, but I've only just realised that the actor who plays Roddy is the same one who plays the bad guy in World Without End. His character in that does have a slightly different seduction technique though. *ahem*
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I love slow burners too - that's why I really liked series 1 of The Killing and shows like Rubicon and Complicit (that aired on channel 4 last week). It's just that I don't find characters like Kitty interesting or complex enough to support about one third of an hour ep being about them. I actually don't mind this show when it focuses on the business side of things and the Selfridge family - with a bit of the ep about minor characters like Doris as support.

Ah - I would agree that Mr Selfridge isn't in the same league as those and certainly nowhere near as compelling. For me it's a nice Sunday night bit of comfort - no challenging plots or anything too disturbing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suze wrote: »
    Ah - I would agree that Mr Selfridge isn't in the same league as those and certainly nowhere near as compelling. For me it's a nice Sunday night bit of comfort - no challenging plots or anything too disturbing.

Yes it is indeed! :)
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just caught up with the previous episode and I have to agree that it's not bad. I like the inclusion of Mr Woolworth, I wonder if they were as close friends in real life. I read up that his wife was handicapped, so at least that part is true to life.

I wondered what was the point of including Miss Love in the story again, it would make sense if the scriptwriters intend to use her further in the story, so I hope they do even though I'm not that keen on the character. Interesting twist on the artist guy turning up like a bad penny, I wonder how far he'll go and if a relationship will develop between Groves and Mardle. :)