Options

Is grammar taught in schools anymore ?

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
I find it incredible and so annoying that a lot of people in the forums write 'of' for 'have' in a sentence .

Why is such a fundamental error occurring with so many :o

Comments

• Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh get off your high horse.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Innit blud
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I'm more of a punctuation freak.

Spaces before full-stops and omitted question-marks really make my blood boil!
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP has a point .On a broader basis it's rather embarrassing that the land that gave English - can't really speak it . When foreigners have a better grasp of someone else's language you know you're in trouble :)
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The list of grammar bloopers is enormous and seems to be growing month by month. I have noticed a lot of examples of mixing up than and then most recently. This is in addition to the usual suspects; they're their there, of off, bought brought, etc ect, etc ;-)

Yes, grammar is taught in schools. But the exposure to a couple of hours a week of lesson time (if that), and some reinforcement in other subjects can't compete with the onslaught of poor vocabulary and sloppy grammar used in general "yoof" conversation, social media, instant messaging and online fora. Broadly speaking, I think it's just not considered important or thought of as a basic courtesy any more in online conversations.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I find it incredible and so annoying that a lot of people in the forums write 'of' for 'have' in a sentence .

Because that is how they talk to their families and the people they know
  • Options
    LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't consider myself to be overly laid-back. But everytime this topic comes up, I just think christ...Is it really worth getting het up about? Really?

P.s. You forgot a question mark at the end OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    If you're going to create a thread about grammar then you should make sure your sentence is perfect because the first thing people will do is point out your mistakes :-)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to a Grammar School

But we spent most of our time doing maths, geography, RI, sport and stuff like that

oh, and latin
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »

Pretty sure you've just broken Muphry's law there, pacifically by using a smiley for punctuation.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    VM123 wrote: »
    If you're going to create a thread about grammar then you should make sure your sentence is perfect because the first thing people will do is point out your mistakes :-)

You missed a full stop at the end of your sentence.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Yes. The SPaG (spelling, punctuation and grammar) test was introduced for year 6 SATS a couple of years ago.

Sadly, in areas where people say 'could of', or 'we was' etc, teaching the children won't make a great difference, as they won't hear it being properly modelled. They will hopefully be able to write correctly though...fingers crossed!!!
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You missed a full stop at the end of your sentence.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I teach MFL, so yes grammar is taught, but pupils do not study English grammar in any great detail.
    They know what verbs, adjectives and nouns are, but they would not be able to parse a sentence and identify an adverbial clause etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I teach MFL, so yes grammar is taught, but pupils do not study English grammar in any great detail.
    They know what verbs, adjectives and nouns are, but they would not be able to parse a sentence and identify an adverbial clause etc.

They will soon WL!!! Look at the KS 2 new curriculum. It's frightening what the poor little buggers are expected to learn!
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you've just broken Muphry's law there, pacifically by using a smiley for punctuation.

Oh please tell me you were being ironic when you said that?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Dear God I bloody well hope so!!! Ha ha ha!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    I'm more of a punctuation freak.
    Then this thread should freak you out.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have to ask? Of course I was.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know we've been through all this before, but the number of people I hear saying 'I seen' or 'I done' has increased massively over the last few years.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member

We believe you ;-).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Honest guv!!!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Safi74 wrote: »
    They will soon WL!!! Look at the KS 2 new curriculum. It's frightening what the poor little buggers are expected to learn!

I guess that's the England KS2 curriculum. Perhaps no harm in advancing the teaching of grammar at that age.... as long as the rest of the curriculum is reduced to allow pupils the time and focus to become literate.
    The primary curriculum is insanely expansive.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sooner these so-called 'rules' about the English language are completely forgotten (and it won't take long) the better

People can speak how they want, there's no right or wrong way