dolby digital on movies now

just noticed dd being broadcast on sky movies 2 man on fire, movies 3 starship troopers and war of the worlds on movies 8. didn't know about this :D

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    markybaby wrote:
    just noticed dd being broadcast on sky movies 2 man on fire, movies 3 starship troopers and war of the worlds on movies 8. didn't know about this
    Must be your amp showing Dolby Digital, but since Virgin don't broadcast any Sky Movies in DD 5.1 you are really just listening to PCM stereo. Only High Definition moviesfrom VOD (and sometimes BBC HD) are available in 5.1.
    Sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be your amp showing Dolby Digital, but since Virgin don't broadcast any Sky Movies in DD 5.1 you are really just listening to PCM stereo. Only High Definition moviesfrom VOD (and sometimes BBC HD) are available in 5.1.
    Sorry.

Your wrong mate both Exorcist the beginning, White Noise and sky movies 9 were all giving me 5.1 surround sound. My amp is set to Dolby PIIX but if it picks up a DD5.1 signal it changes, as it has done tonight!!! :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    This is confusing me somewhat! :confused: Why are Sky giving VM Dolby Digital on movies now? What with all the handbags at the moment, I can't believe that Sky would give Virgin anything.

Is it the case that DD has always been available to Virgin (TW/NTL) and they are only choosing to enable it now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm well happy about this! :D

Has anyone found any press statements about this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are you guys connecting, HDMI or optical?

Is the V+ box the same as the Sky+ HD box - DD5.1 only available via optical.

Just curious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    connected through optical. And it's definately 5.1 not dd stereo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5.1 DD2.0 and PCM stereo is also available via HDMI, although with my setup the handshaking seems occasionally to fail when things are turned on, with the result that there is no sound. As a result, I prefer to use the optical connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jong wrote:
    5.1 DD2.0 and PCM stereo is also available via HDMI,
    Really? This has surprised me.

Have you anyway of telling if Dolby Digital + is available on VM's HD content?

Sky HD mentioned DD+ at launch, still nothing, not even 5.1 over HDMI.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right now 12.05 noon Finding Neverland on Ch 408 is showing DD5.1 on my amp via optical cable. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyW wrote:
    Really? This has surprised me.

Have you anyway of telling if Dolby Digital + is available on VM's HD content?

Sky HD mentioned DD+ at launch, still nothing, not even 5.1 over HDMI.
    Yes, my Denon 4306 is very clear about what signal it is receiving.

Not seen any 6.1/7.1 stuff on HD content though. Just Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 depending on the programme.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The V+ Box has had the Dolby Digital logo on it since launch now and also the "HD Ready" logo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Could this have anything to do with the fact they have switched feeds for all the sky channels? They are now using the Sky feed rather than the cable feed to block out the anti-VM ads.
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointed this out yesterday in the "Was there an update, then?" thread but didn't get much of a response, was saying, I came home from work yesterday to find cinema system playing to itself, dunno how it'd turned itself on as the TVdrive box was off as was TV, thought it may have been an update but noticed it was playing 5.1 dolby surround sound etc on sky movies! which it's doing for sure. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that the quality of the pictures of some of the showings recently has been very poor - not 720x576, more like 480 - I suspect that some late showings are in low bitrate - maybe this is part of the same switch?

I recorded Sin City last week - late at night. The picture was very poor. I watched a repeat later in the week - the resolution was noticably higher.

I think somethings happening - would it be too much to ask to get a high bit rate, normal 720x576 resolution AND dolby digital 5.1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reddies wrote:
    Could this have anything to do with the fact they have switched feeds for all the sky channels? They are now using the Sky feed rather than the cable feed to block out the anti-VM ads.
    That sounds rather likely. I doubt Sky will be pleased if Virgin haven't purchased the rights to broadcast Sky Movies in DD 5.1, though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would have been best if you kept it to yourself then yeah?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking this has gone back to normal now? ie DD5.1 not available to Virgin customers? It was only whilst Virgin were using the Sky Movies feeds that Sky satellite customers receive.

Have tried all 10 movie channels and none are showing Dolby Digital any longer...... sad days considering it obviously was available and not a technical limitation :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    dantyler wrote:
    Am I right in thinking this has gone back to normal now? ie DD5.1 not available to Virgin customers? It was only whilst Virgin were using the Sky Movies feeds that Sky satellite customers receive.

Have tried all 10 movie channels and none are showing Dolby Digital any longer...... sad days considering it obviously was available and not a technical limitation :mad:

Looks like it, checked this morning and where as Sky Movies 8 was previously in DD5.1 it's now back in good old Pro Logic II :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    midge wrote:
    Looks like it, checked this morning and where as Sky Movies 8 was previously in DD5.1 it's now back in good old Pro Logic II :(

Damn! :(