New slot for UKTV

SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
UKTV has secured a new slot according to this report.

Dave Ja Vu will be shown temporarily whilst they decide what to do with it.

Comments

• linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOLD on Freeview maybe?
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that with DSO complete they really should consider putting their flagship channel on the platform - but in any case, if they don't wish to make proper use of a prominent EPG number they should give it up.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course if it is GOLD, they already have a fairly prominent LCN for it, 20, so hopefully would give up 25.
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will be Watch and not GOLD it's an awful channel. Really has improved a lot since it joined Freeview.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Dave not their flagship channel? I don't know but I imagine that'd get more viewers than GOLD, especially as it's on Freeview. In any case, let's hope it's Dave HD. :D

It's a bit strange they actually want to increase their FTA presence on Freeview, yet still have no FTA channels on Freesat. :confused:
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What channel, eh...? Would they really put GOLD on Freeview...

They'll probably put Eden on, or Blighty. One of the channels that doesn't really show new stuff and repeating their crap as nauseam won't cost them much.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the current crop of UKTV channels very difficult to watch at such low bitrates and resolution, so I'm not exactly excited by this news.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    What channel, eh...? Would they really put GOLD on Freeview...

They'll probably put Eden on, or Blighty. One of the channels that doesn't really show new stuff and repeating their crap as nauseam won't cost them much.

It will not be Watch which shows first run shows, GOLD is a Pay TV favourite, Good Food may have ben a contender in the past however its owners other channel Food Network UK is already 24hrs a day, Eden is constantly advertised which leaves Blighty or home which I'd bet my money on as it does not show many new things and gets releatively low figures compared to the other 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What will earn them the most revenue? - surely that's the calculation they have to make. There's no point in securing this slot if they are going to put something on which will only attract a few extra viewers. The fact that they are 'parking' Dave Ja Vu in the slot whilst they mull things over might indicate that there could be a bold move under consideration. Could they earn more from GOLD as a free channel, available to the majority of households (i.e. excluding Freeview lite) than they presently get via subs from Sky? Or could they go down the same route with GOLD as the others, being free on DTT but still subscription on satellite? Does anyone know how the numbers work out?
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get you hopes up.
    UKTV has not yet indicated whether the +1 channel will take the slot permanently, or whether it will launch another one of its channel brands on Freeview.

Things we need to find out.

1.where are the hours coming from?
    2 will a channel closedown?
    2.Is it a 24/7 slot?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't need Dave Va Ju permanently that's for sure.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    We don't need Dave Va Ju permanently that's for sure.
    Agreed, hopefully they have learnt that their +1s don't attract much of an audience.

Following the relative success of Really, UKTV should use the slot to boost another under performing channel. I would go for Home rather than Blighty as it is more unique.
  • alwaysabearalwaysabear Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Watch would be a really good addition to the freeview line up.
  • mpk81mpk81 Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any report on this except for the one linked to by the OP?
    From article:
    "Dave Ja Vu ... will move to Freeview on a temporary basis from January"

Dave Ja Vu has been on Freeview for some time as a placeholder broadcasting for a couple of hours in the middle of the night.
    Could be the author of the article has got confused and thinks it's a new thing.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpk81 wrote: »
    http://www.a516digital.com/2012/11/uktv-gets-fourth-slot-on-freeview.html - generally very reliable.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,925
    Forum Member
    Watch would be a really good addition to the freeview line up.

You can be fairly confident it won't be Watch or alibi because of the amount of first run material they show. Will want to keep them as pay channels.

Blighty or Home the strongest contenders.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    What UKTV channels are currently on Freeview and on which EPG number

Will they have the chance to put them together?

Will they ever sort out the mess of the EPG?

The recent shuffle was merely an exercise to move HD & Adult which was good but could have moved the sister channels of BBC, ITV, 4 & five together, logic would have suggested.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly id say Blighty as currently it gains next to no viewers, which was the same case with Really before it was on Freeview, I can't see it being anything else like G.O.L.D as it still gets viewers on Pay TV, or maybe keep Dave ja Vu 24 hours or Yesterday +1
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    What UKTV channels are currently on Freeview and on which EPG number

http://www.terrestrialtv.co.uk/dtt.cgi?sf=P&search=UKTV&reg=UK
    Will they have the chance to put them together?

They can move them around amongst themselves once per year (they have this year already). They might get moved closer to each other using DMOL's "associated channels" rule, if a space opens up near one of their existing channels (bearing in mind that local TV for Wales/Scotland gets first dibs on anything below Ch 45)
    Will they ever sort out the mess of the EPG?

It's very difficult to move channels around once they are added, because the owners tend to complain...
    The recent shuffle was merely an exercise to move HD & Adult which was good but could have moved the sister channels of BBC, ITV, 4 & five together, logic would have suggested.

...especially if you're making changes of that magnitude, which actually were suggested by DMOL but are unlikely to ever happen.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or I guess in a very extreme circumstance they could launch Really+1 (I guess there is a 1% chance) but I guess they are examining every option

But I must admit a relaunched Blighty starting probs at 7am is most likely. With more than 3 shows!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpk81 wrote: »
    From article:
    "Dave Ja Vu ... will move to Freeview on a temporary basis from January"

Dave Ja Vu has been on Freeview for some time as a placeholder broadcasting for a couple of hours in the middle of the night.
    Could be the author of the article has got confused and thinks it's a new thing.

Journailists tend not to have a grasp of every small detail of a topic they're asked to write about at short notice. It's reasonable to assume that he means it will be on for longer than it is presently. I presume that in the absence of any information to the contrary that we're talking about a full 24 hour slot, but of-course it might not be.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    Honestly id say Blighty as currently it gains next to no viewers, which was the same case with Really before it was on Freeview, I can't see it being anything else like G.O.L.D as it still gets viewers on Pay TV, or maybe keep Dave ja Vu 24 hours or Yesterday +1

I would agree with this analysis, freetoview33. I would not expect the popular GOLD, Watch or Alibi to fill this slot. I would expect UKTV to put one of their less popular channels, such as Eden, Blighty or Home, in this slot to boost its ratings just as they did with Really. Doing that turned out to be a successful move and I'm pretty sure that they'll repeat it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with this analysis, freetoview33. I would not expect the popular GOLD, Watch or Alibi to fill this slot. I would expect UKTV to put one of their less popular channels, such as Eden, Blighty or Home, in this slot to boost its ratings just as they did with Really. Doing that turned out to be a successful move and I'm pretty sure that they'll repeat it again.

'Repeat it again' - sounds like UKTV's company motto. :D
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it will be GOLD or Watch & doubtful on Alibi so it has to be one of the others. My money is on Home but I would like to see Eden or Blighty as we can do with some non entertainment channels.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    What will earn them the most revenue? - surely that's the calculation they have to make. There's no point in securing this slot if they are going to put something on which will only attract a few extra viewers. The fact that they are 'parking' Dave Ja Vu in the slot whilst they mull things over might indicate that there could be a bold move under consideration. Could they earn more from GOLD as a free channel, available to the majority of households (i.e. excluding Freeview lite) than they presently get via subs from Sky? Or could they go down the same route with GOLD as the others, being free on DTT but still subscription on satellite? Does anyone know how the numbers work out?

Nope, but as you say it needs careful consideration. If they put an under-performing channel on Freeview to boost it, will the increase in viewers be more than the increase they would see if they put an already-popular channel on? Are any of their channels not turning a profit on pay TV, which could be tipped into the black by putting it on Freeview?

They've always put their "bad" channels on in the past - a couple of new ones, Dave (rebrand of UKTVG2) and Really. However, it looks like TUTV's TV Favourites is diminishing even more, which could mean GOLD no longer being available terrestrially, so maybe UKTV are debating whether it is viable to take that FTA on Freeview?

Just as long as it doesn't end up being "Sterling" (which is what I'd guess UKTV would name their shopping channel)