Options

111 service ..... What a joke!

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The leaflets and posters advertising this service sound great. Ring 111 in a non emergency and you'll get help and advice.

I've had seriously bad toothache for a week, seen dentist 3 times. On max painkillers and last night it got so bad I thought I needed to see an out of hours dentist. Rang 111 and explained the prob and was Told "this is probably not what you want to hear but there is no emergency dentist service in the whole of Norfolk. The earliest you can be seen anywhere is tomorrow." >:(. I think that's shocking considering we are one of the largest counties in the country.

What kind of service is that. Then to add insult to injury he said "please ring back if you need us ..... Don't feel you're on your own out there." But I am. They can offer me no help whatsoever so I'm in bed counting off the minutes until my local dentists opens at 9am then I'm going to sit there until,I'm seen.:o>:(

Comments

• Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know tooth pain is one of the worst pains possible, and you're probably in a bad mood, but I think the guy's responses were very good. Let's be fair, you kinda did receive help and advice.

"Don't feel you're on your own out there" is such a sweet thing to say!

Good luck at the Dentist.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if they offer 'help and advice', I suppose one out of two ain't bad. I imagine it must be agonizing for you, but there isn't much else they could have done, dental health is one of those things that doesn't seem to fall under 24-hour emergency care.

I hope you get some help and relief today. :)
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you expect the 111 service to do - Ship in a dentist from another county? Its not their fault there aren't any dentists!
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time I needed an emergency dentist I was seen at the Hospital on Bowthorpe Road........think it's now called the Norwich Community Hospital.

They have, or they did have, a dentist there for people not registered with a dentist and for emergencies.

Ah right, just googled it. It's the Siskin Centre on 01603 776834

Out of hours on 0845 6003246.

I've used them. Just called up and they told me to come down. Good luck Hotgossip. Dental pain is a bitch.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    How was the 111 service bad then? He gave you the best advice he could.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time I needed an emergency dentist I was seen at the Hospital on Bowthorpe Road........think it's now called the Norwich Community Hospital.

They have, or they did have, a dentist there for people not registered with a dentist and for emergencies.

Ah right, just googled it. It's the Siskin Centre on 01603 776834

Out of hours on 0845 6003246.

I've used them. Just called up and they told me to come down. Good luck Hotgossip. Dental pain is a bitch.

Thanks so much for that. I will be at my dentists waiting for them to open and if they can't help I'll ring them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    What did you expect the 111 service to do - Ship in a dentist from another county? Its not their fault there aren't any dentists!

Funnily enough I expected them to point me in the direction, anywhere in this huge county, of an emergency dentist.

It says in the booklet .... You will be assessed, given advice and directed straightaway to the local service that can help you best. This could be an A & e, out of hours GP, etc etc EMERGENCY DENTIST.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to use the service for my daughter last week when she had a huge abcess. They got her an emergency dentist appointment for first thing in the morning and, even though they couldn't do much there and then, just speaking to someone and getting some advice was helpful. Sometimes I think we expect everything to be fixed instantly for us now and it can't always happen.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Funnily enough I expected them to point me in the direction, anywhere in this huge county, of an emergency dentist.

It says in the booklet .... You will be assessed, given advice and directed straightaway to the local service that can help you best. This could be an A & e, out of hours GP, etc etc EMERGENCY DENTIST.

But if there isn't an emergency dentist, that isn't the fault of NHS 111...
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

But if there isn't a local service available, what can they do?! They can't direct you to something that doesn't exist. It's really not their fault.

I feel for you though. Severe toothache is absolutely horrific - it sometimes feels like it will drive you mad! Hope you get it sorted very soon.
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a 111 call handler, one of the biggest issues we have is the emergency dentists. They only open for limited hours. Unfortunately there is nothing the 111 service can do, if the dentists are closed they are closed. I have received abuse from patients - vile personal attacks - because I couldn't get them in with a dentist. With reference to them telling you to call back we HAVE to say that to ALL patients regardless of why they have called.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe consider changing your dentist if you've seen him 3 times and you're still in pain?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    How was the 111 service bad then? He gave you the best advice he could.

Exactly , how does the fact that Norfolk doesn't have a 24 hour dental service make 111 a joke??
  • Options
    Scarlet FeverScarlet Fever Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Exactly , how does the fact that Norfolk doesn't have a 24 hour dental service make 111 a joke??

I think when you have tooth ache, anything and everything is annoying
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The leaflets and posters advertising this service sound great. Ring 111 in a non emergency and you'll get help and advice.

I've had seriously bad toothache for a week, seen dentist 3 times. On max painkillers and last night it got so bad I thought I needed to see an out of hours dentist. Rang 111 and explained the prob and was Told "this is probably not what you want to hear but there is no emergency dentist service in the whole of Norfolk. The earliest you can be seen anywhere is tomorrow." >:(. I think that's shocking considering we are one of the largest counties in the country.

What kind of service is that. Then to add insult to injury he said "please ring back if you need us ..... Don't feel you're on your own out there." But I am. They can offer me no help whatsoever so I'm in bed counting off the minutes until my local dentists opens at 9am then I'm going to sit there until,I'm seen.:o>:(

You are supposed to go A&E if you are in severe pain that isn't helped by painkillers. The answer machine at your local dentist should have included instructions on where to go to be seen out of hours. 111 should have also gave you this advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    You are supposed to go A&E if you are in severe pain that isn't helped by painkillers. The answer machine at your local dentist should have included instructions on where to go to be seen out of hours. 111 should have also gave you this advice.

This is not entirely true (lots of factors need to be considered) when you ring 111 you are triaged and then told the appropriate course of action (yes mistakes can happen) but a & e is not an appropriate place if painkillers are not working. If deemed appropriate a GP would be a better person to see. As well as working for the 111 service I have a chronic pain condition, yes I have been sent to a & e because I'm in crisis and my medication is not working, but this was before I had a diagnosis, now I have a GP visit with the required drugs.
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    This is not entirely true (lots of factors need to be considered) when you ring 111 you are triaged and then told the appropriate course of action (yes mistakes can happen) but a & e is not an appropriate place if painkillers are not working. If deemed appropriate a GP would be a better person to see. As well as working for the 111 service I have a chronic pain condition, yes I have been sent to a & e because I'm in crisis and my medication is not working, but this was before I had a diagnosis, now I have a GP visit with the required drugs.

I'm afraid this page disagrees with you. It clearly says that if you are in severe dental pain not helped by painkillers out of hours you should go to A&E.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    I'm afraid this page disagrees with you. It clearly says that if you are in severe dental pain not helped by painkillers out of hours you should go to A&E.

I am not going to argue with you, the OP was triaged and not deemed to be in severe pain - the NHS definition of severe pain is you cannot think clearly or are unable to continue with normal tasks eg: watching TV or going to the toilet. So after being triaged A & E would have been inappropriate. In the area I live in A & E would send (and have done) patients away with dental pain because they do not have the facilities to deal with dental. A GP would be more appropriate to help manage the pain until a dentist was open.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a 111 call handler,...
    Can I ask: do you have any formal medical training and are you 'allowed' to come to your own conclusions, or do you have to follow a strict formula that will lead you to a decision? That's not meant to be as patronising as it probably comes across written down, only I had an interesting experience with 111 recently. My 8 month old banged his head. Nothing major, but at that age you obviously have to be very observant following it. Next day - Sunday - his personality seemed to be different. He was more drowsy than usual, off his food and generally didn't 'look right'. Could have been anything, of course, but naturally my mind kept playing on the bang on the head. I called 111, and I must have been very naive, as I genuinely thought that the handler would go 'Baby? Bumped his head? Change in behaviour? Bring him (more or less) straight down', but no. I was triaged for 25 minutes by someone who appeared to be reading from a Q & A sheet. I felt sorry for him after a while, because all the questions were yes/ no, and it was impossible to give a clear-cut, definite yes/ no answer to many of them, so I think the poor lad got flummoxed. Eventually he transferred me to someone else, who asked much the same questions, but seemed less fazed. Eventually, after 40 minutes (in total), the second one must have thought, 'Oh **** it, just bring 'im in or we'll be here all day', so I took my son to the 111 centre.

As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with him that the Dr could detect and he's been fine since, but it puzzled me that two call handlers took 40 minutes um-ing and and ah-ing over whether to give an 8 month old baby with a possible head injury an appt ! :confused: Surely if he'd had an injury, that 40 minutes would have been crucial. Not to mention the time spent with one caller. Didn't that miss some target or other?

I'm not knocking the handlers themselves, they were presumably only following their training, and I genuinely think the 111 service is better than having no OOH service at all. I'd just be interested to know how 'the process' works and if you have any flexibility at all to go 'off script' and whether you're under pressure to avoid offering a face-to-face appt as much as possible?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Can I ask: do you have any formal medical training and are you 'allowed' to come to your own conclusions, or do you have to follow a strict formula that will lead you to a decision? That's not meant to be as patronising as it probably comes across written down, only I had an interesting experience with 111 recently. My 8 month old banged his head. Nothing major, but at that age you obviously have to be very observant following it. Next day - Sunday - his personality seemed to be different. He was more drowsy than usual, off his food and generally didn't 'look right'. Could have been anything, of course, but naturally my mind kept playing on the bang on the head. I called 111, and I must have been very naive, as I genuinely thought that the handler would go 'Baby? Bumped his head? Change in behaviour? Bring him (more or less) straight down', but no. I was triaged for 25 minutes by someone who appeared to be reading from a Q & A sheet. I felt sorry for him after a while, because all the questions were yes/ no, and it was impossible to give a clear-cut, definite yes/ no answer to many of them, so I think the poor lad got flummoxed. Eventually he transferred me to someone else, who asked much the same questions, but seemed less fazed. Eventually, after 40 minutes (in total), the second one must have thought, 'Oh **** it, just bring 'im in or we'll be here all day', so I took my son to the 111 centre. As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with him that the Dr could detect and he's been fine since, but it puzzled me that two call handlers took forty minutes um-ing and and ah-ing over whether to give an eight-month old baby with a possible head injury an appt ! :confused: Surely if he'd had an injury, that forty minutes would have been crucial. Not to mention the 40 minutes spent with one caller. Didn't that miss some target or other?

I'm not knocking the handlers themselves, they were presumably only following their training, and I genuinely think the 111 service is better than having no OOH service at all. I'd just be interested to know how 'the process' works and if you have any flexibility at all to go 'off script' and whether you're under pressure to avoid offering a face-to-face appt as much as possible?

All calls are triaged from questions on the screen, I do not have any medical training but have worked in the NHS for several years up until I has my children. The area I work in is run by the NHS, not all areas are so I can only answer for where I work. We cannot deviate from the script as such, but all cases are different we have trained nurses or paramedics and we can consult them if we have any concerns, which sounds like what happened with you. 40mins does seem to be a very ling time for triage they are normally complete within a few mins. We are trained to gather the information quickly in case we need to dispatch an ambulance to you - we will continue to ask questions but the crew will be on their way. We have the ability to book doctors appointents/call back and we do not try to avoid booking appointments. Our calls are randomly audited to make sure we are compliant if we're not we will be removed from the phones and either retrained or dismissed depending on the issue. We are accountable for all of our actions. I'm sorry that the experience you received wasn't great. Obviously it could have been a new member of staff. Also mistakes do happen. I'm glad your baby is okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry on my phone and hard to see what I have written. I should have said no we cannot reach our own conclusion. If we think that the time scales are wrong or we are concerned we pass the calls to the nurse/paramedic and they can reassess the patient for us.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry on my phone and hard to see what I have written. I should have said no we cannot reach our own conclusion. If we think that the time scales are wrong or we are concerned we pass the calls to the nurse/paramedic and they can reassess the patient for us.
    Thanks for the info, very informative. It may well have been a newbie, or perhaps someone who'd never dealt with that type of call before. I think the trouble with baby calls is that their behaviour can be caused by a lot of things: 'Has he vomited?' 'Well, yes, but that's not un-common for him as he's being weaned'. 'Does he have any bumps or dents where he banged it?' 'Yes, but he's a baby, they don't tend to have smooth, round skulls at this age. I can't be sure if that dent was already there or not'. I can completely see why it might have been difficult for the handler and I think you're right, he passed the call up to a nurse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, very informative. It may well have been a newbie, or perhaps someone who'd never dealt with that type of call before. I think the trouble with baby calls is that their behaviour can be caused by a lot of things: 'Has he vomited?' 'Well, yes, but that's not un-common for him as he's being weaned'. 'Does he have any bumps or dents where he banged it?' 'Yes, but he's a baby, they don't tend to have smooth, round skulls at this age. I can't be sure if that dent was already there or not'. I can completely see why it might have been difficult for the handler and I think you're right, he passed the call up to a nurse.

No problem. It is very difficult to triage 'baby calls' and in the past when it was NHS direct I was given totally the wrong advice with regard to my, then, 7mth old daughter. Head injury calls can also be complex so when you add those two together it can be difficult. I think because I am a mother and I have been given really terrible advice myself, I am very cautious when it comes to babies and toddlers but in reality the nurses/paramedics/GP's would prefer that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    But if there isn't an emergency dentist, that isn't the fault of NHS 111...

My point exactly. They just relayed the information. I had to call 111 with severe kidney stone pain recently and they were absolutely brilliant. Assessed me thoroughly and called the ambulance for me. Perhaps your post should have been about the lack of emergency dentists in your area?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's the lack of dental practices that is the problem, the call handler can't magic up one out of thin air