Options

Celebrity Winners and Losers 2010. Has the Series Changed Your Perception of Anyone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
Forum Member
I have developed a worrying and inexplicable liking for Gavin Henson which crept up on me slowly as this series progressed, almost against my will. I don't mean that I fancy him or feel any romantic longings toward him, just that I sensed that he would be someone I really wouldn't like at the beginning of the contest and I ended up liking him the most. I didn't vote for him because I preferred others' dancing but I thought he came across well and was very tongue-in-cheek about himself. He took the show seriously enough to train hard and really try but not so seriously that he lost his sense of perspective and humour about things.

In a similar vein I started off liking Pamela and now find myself wanting to turn the tv off every time I see her - I call it the Piers Morgan effect.

Paul Daniels I, as ever, find repellant. Nothing could change that. Poor Ola!

Has the series changed how you think of somebody?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    Yeah...

I am now totally in love with Gavin Henson.

Should I be worried?

Please advise soonest!

Many thanks x
  • Options
    Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Yeah...

I am now totally in love with Gavin Henson.

Should I be worried?

Please advise soonest!

Many thanks x

Take 2 aspirin and avoid rugby pitches :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    I really didn't think I would like Kara and turned out to love her
    I knew I didn't like Pammie and my feelings were justified
    Ditto Paul Daniels
    I started off liking Matt but came to find him a bit stiff and unemotive
    I thought I would hate Patsy but she turned out to be fab
    I thought I would like Felicity Kendal but found her irritating
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always liked Goldie and that hasn't changed, shame he went so early.

Paul Daniels - repugnant little gnome.

Jimi - I don't know, I was expecting to really like him and I just felt blaaaah, he is sweet and funny though.

Patsy - I was expecting to hate her, but she's so vulnerable and sweet, she's like bambi in dance shoes, it feels wrong to be mean about her.

Gavin - I love Gavin. I'm Welsh and a big rugby fan but didn't know much about him, on Strictly he's been hilarious and I love his ickle face.

Pamela and Matt - felt meh about them at the start and meh about them now

Scott - just think he's pathetic and gave up trying

Kara - love her and really fell in love with her after watching the documentary she did on living with dyslexia. I have a dyslexic/dyspraxic son and realise how difficult it is to live with the chaos.
  • Options
    deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't watching avidly until later in the series so a bit random with my opinions:

Gavin had more of a sense of humour than I thought he'd have but still found him utterly repulsive lookswise.

Paul Daniels, yeah he's always going to be creepy no matter what!

I liked Patsy Kensit a lot more than I thought I would, but that was mainly because I was prejudiced by her role on Holby, such a downer! And in the same vein I liked Kara a lot as well, having hated the Dawn Swann character on Eastenders. AND while I'm at it, Scott Maslen seemed like a great character too. I really didn't want him to win hough!

Pamela was exactly how I thought she'd be................

Matt I was only vaguely aware of before SCD, but now I'm wondering if other half will be suspicious if I add a Countryfile series link to the Sky Planner. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. You get to see what the celebs and the producers want you to see. I'm sure the reactions and responses are genuine enough but the rest is all just for the cameras. I would only have an opinion on someone if I actually knew them personally :confused:
  • Options
    MsVonDarknessMsVonDarkness Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Gavin - I really did not like Gavin before Strictly and I honestly thought I would end up hating him but I actually *really* like him. I find him hilarious, and think he comes across as a lovely person.

Matt - I was a big fan of Matt before Strictly, I remember him from Blue Peter and have liked him since but I really have gone off him a bit. I can't put my finger on what it is that annoys me about him but there is something I don't like.

Pamela - I liked Pamela to start but as the series progressed I went right off her, she comes over as very false.

Scott - Didn't like him at the start, enjoyed some of his dances but still don't like him.

Kara - I thought she would annoy me but I have enjoyed watching her dance, her training, interviews.. she is lovely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I couldn't stand Gavin before but I've really warmed to him.

Liked Matt before and still like Matt

Liked Scotttttttt before - went off him rapidly with all his excuses for performing badly - others were working just as hard away from Strictly

On the first show I thought Kara looked hard as nails and didn't like her - how wrong was I, what a lovely person inside and out.... I do blame the costume people for that - they made her look that way

Widdecombe - disliked before, still dislike despite her attempts to appear like a funny mad old aunt

Michelle - grated on me at first but she grew on me as time went on, very down to earth

Patsy is my biggest surprise. I really didn't like her from what I knew of her before, but I thought she was a lovely woman, good fun and great to see her grow in confidence
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gavin was a pleasant surprise.

Kara had an edge when the Rachel/Ali effect could have taken hold.

Pamela began to annoy me towards the end and the same with Scott and Matt (a bit).

I thought Jimi was going to be great and entertaining, but I found him incredibly irritating.

Before it started, I thought I'd really like Michelle and Patsy but they were both OK but not as amazing as I'd hoped.
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I think Kara, Matt, Gavin and Patsy came off best, all likeable, gracious and with a good sense of humour.
    The only losers I would say were Paul Daniels, who I can't stand, and Michelle Williams, but thats probably only because I had such high expectations of her.
    All in all a pretty nice bunch!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always loathed Pamela S. Still do so. Probably even more.
    Scott - dislike grew as his excuses and fatigue multiplied
    Michelle - who? before. Still who?
    Patsy Kensit - immensely irritating for being so needy
    Felicity - thought I'd like her, but found her irritating after a bit.
    Matt - turned out to be a bit more ambitious and driven than is entirely appealing, but I still quite like the guy.
    Aliona - detest even more for wasting talent on hiphop crap.
    Gavin...thought I would truly detest him for being competitive, vain, dumb and planklike. Turned out he's a treasure. Without luvvie-ness and refused to be 'on message'. Some truly sublime unconsciously hilarious VT moments and the dancing seems to have done him good. Delighted he's back playing rugby. Nice chest etc., but genuinely, it isn't about the body. He's a poppet.
    Anton - liked him before. Just full of admiration for his professionalism.
    Artem - didn't know before - sky-rocketed throughout the series for his gentlemanly behaviour on an off the floor. Then he started crying and my admiration has waned a tad. There is too much Russian soul, darling. (But I still like you!)
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliona - detest even more for wasting talent on hiphop crap.
    QUOTE]

Seems a bit unfair to dislike someone cos you don't like their choreography. Her choreography is quirky and not for everybody, but she does seem like a genuinely sweet person.
    In fact, the only pros I dislike personality wise are Brendan and Vincent. Particularly Brendan. He is just an unpleasant person!

Celeb wise, Gav suprised me. At first I thought he seemed arrogant and annoying, but I soon reaised he is just very shy and has a very dry wit. I think that and the British obsession with the underdog is why he got so far, because right until the end he was the worst dancer (aside from Widdy).

I didn't dislike any of the others, apart from Widdy and Paul Daniels, both of whom I had always detested.

I always liked Matt and Kara anyway :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew to like Gavin Henson, he really tried hard and improved tremendously. Quite a shy lad in some ways, he is also dry in humour and once I "got" him, I enjoyed it very much when he was interviewed.

I had no idea Scott Maslen was such a nice chap. No reason for him not to be but I suppose I identified him with the roles he played in the Bill and EE. He seems really lovely.

Patsy Kensit was very sweet and vulnerable, I think the show was good for her, she overcame her nerves. I liked her.

Kara I now like a lot more than when she played Dawn in EE, I never cared much for the Dawn character but think Kara is smashing.

I didn't know Matt Baker at all before SCD, apart from the odd glimpse when changing TV channels, I don't watch Countryfile, so I had no opinion of him to start with. I shall now tune in to Countryfile to see a bit more of him.

They were a nice bunch this year. Pamela, whom I remember as a comedienne from years ago, was quite a revelation. What a lovely lady and a great dancer!

There was no-one I didn't like. I felt sorry for Goldie going out first - I wish there was a way that not just one person has to go out first, maybe two or three couples. It must be quite humiliating to be first out.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Loathed Paul Daniels, and still do!

Started off finding Widdicombe quite funny, but ended up detesting her attitude and arrogance.

Voted for Scott until he left, but as much as I liked him, it was time to go.

Detested Gavin up to his last few weeks, but gradually began to warm to him.

I thought that Pamela was a good dancer but couldn't warm to her, the smile never reached those cold eyes!

I had never heard of Matt or Kara, but really warmed to them both, and they were the best two for the final.

Patsy made the biggest impression on me. I was indifferent at the beginning, but liked her more each week. She tried so hard, and and I loved her enthusiasm and vunerabilty.
    It was great to see her back last night, looking so confident and happy!
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who though Patsy was incredibly false? I think she was OK until her final few weeks - she overdid the acting a bit and it just didn't come across very well. I don't think she's sweet and vulnerable at all. I found her quite manipulative.
  • Options
    LoobyLouThe1stLoobyLouThe1st Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Kara, I had formed an opinion of based on her EE character and she proved to be completely the opposite and won me over.

Pammie, OMG desperatation city. The smarmy and somewhat distasteful innuendo as to what her relationship was with James made me want to hurl something through the screen on more than one occasion.

Gavin, hmmmmmmm I thought he was a vain plank when he started, but was just starting to warm to him when I watched the final of 71 Degrees North on ITV (hadn't seen any of the rest of it, just happened to catch the final). My opinion of him went through the floor after he blamed his inadequacies on his sledge dogs and actually made references to hurting them because they didn't pull his lazy a**e up a steep hill without him actually helping. The other contestant, can't remember who he was, actually stepped off the back of the sledge and helped his dogs by pushing instead of expecting them to pull him, and a heavy sledge uphill.

Jimi I found to be quite charming and fun.

Scott I discovered is quite the lunatic, but mildly amusing.

The others I don't have too much opinion of.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    The Pamela hating just doesn't stop does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »

No! I think a lot of people softened towards her in the end though. She performed well last night and she seemed to have more energy than the other 2 contestants who were half her age. I think she should be proud of herself.
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »

I thought we were being asked who we liked and who we didn't?

I really grew to like Gavin, Patsy and Jimi.
    Also thought both Matt and Kara are very nice.
    Even Paul Daniels wasn't as bad as I thought he would be.
    Loved Not that Nine O'clock News so thought I would really like Pamela but she irritated me beyond belief.
    New I wouldn't like Anne!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    millie3 wrote: »
    I thought we were being asked who we liked and who we didn't?

I really grew to like Gavin, Patsy and Jimi.
    Also thought both Matt and Kara are very nice.
    Even Paul Daniels wasn't as bad as I thought he would be.
    Loved Not that Nine O'clock News so thought I would really like Pamela but she irritated me beyond belief.
    New I wouldn't like Anne!

She irritated you because, even though she came across as "false" in an American sense at times, she really didn't hide who she was. Most of the other contestants did. It's a shame most people seem to be taken in by a bit of acting. Oh well.
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    She irritated you because, even though she came across as "false" in an American sense at times, she really didn't hide who she was. Most of the other contestants did. It's a shame most people seem to be taken in by a bit of acting. Oh well.

That's not true actually. She irritated me because I'm not keen on OTT people who appear to be over confident and in your face. I don't think she was false at all. I also don't like the innuendos she kept making with reference to James.

Who did you think was overacting?
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm, I'll start with the ones i thought I would like:

Felicity - Actually found her annoying
    Tina - Liked her but she was a boring dancer
    Patsy - Loved her she was fabulous, and I think she suffered as getting the same voters as Pamela probably
    Gavin - He was hilarious, agree he tried hard but not too hard, glad he didn't get to final

Those I was indifferent to
    Matt - Loved his dancing was a big shock on day 1, liked his partnership with Aliona and liked hin v good sport
    Scott - i'm not a fan of Natalie but I loved Scott, and he has done wonders for Natalie cos I don't mind her as much now! She needs a duffer next year though as she has had two good ones now
    Kara - Think she's adorable

Those I thought i wouldn't like:
    Ann - only from a dancing point of view but i think she came accross well as a person. I'm glad she stuck it out to, it peed me off that Sargeant dropped out cos I felt it took away from Tom's win, i knew he would go eventually like Ann did.

The others my feelings haven't changed either still like them or still indifferent to them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I ended up warming to Gavin!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    millie3 wrote: »
    That's not true actually. She irritated me because I'm not keen on OTT people who appear to be over confident and in your face. I don't think she was false at all. I also don't like the innuendos she kept making with reference to James.

She was accused of being "false" many times.

To be fair to her, she did tone it down in the last few weeks. The innuendos were just a bit of fun. I think it's a rather healthy way to express your sexuality; I don't think she would ever cheat on Billy, unlike quite a few other contestants who have cheated on their partners. I did cringe at her comments sometimes, but we are much too prudish about sex in this country, which leads to all sorts of problems.

Pamela is a strong older woman who loves life and I think that put a lot of people off. Many younger people don't have the energy she has. You can say what you like about Pam, but I just wish I had her energy and passion for life, and I'm much younger than she is.

I thought Patsy overacted. she was terribly false IMO; a woman who behaved like a little girl, which people seemed to find endearing.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »

Unfortunately, most of us posting here won't have your advantage of knowing all the celebs intimately over a period of time, which you must have to make a statement like that. Cut us a bit of slack, eh?