Option - Copy

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Hi Webbie thanks for your help, one further piece of advice please.

I currently use CAT5 and HDMI baluns to transfer HD around my house. Thus my scenario is something like this :

• My PC is located in my office
    • I have an HDMI feed into this room which should carry 5.1 sound over HDMI, (I believe Sky is now transmitting 5.1 over HDMI, not sure if it works on my Samsung SKY+HD box and don’t have a good way of testing)
    • I can therefore convert the HDMI into Component and then into the Colossus in the back of a PC.
    • However sound from the converter box only appears to be Stereo and not Optical and thus 5.1
    • How do I therefore feed the Colossus with 5.1 quality sound (and I would see 5.1 as one of the main reason to transfer to Blu ray rather than just recording to DVD via Scart, along with picture quality of course)

I can find a converter for HDMI to Toslink to sit alongside the boxes you have suggested. Any ideas ?
    The other way would be to link the Optical cable directly, but I am sure I would get sync problems if I can get a long enough Toslink cable (around 20m)
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On your sky box, find settings then audio. If you have 5.1 over hdmi it will be an option in there. I don't think it's been activated on Samsung sky boxes yet and don't know when'if it will be.
    I don't know if a 20m optical cable will work - I think you would have to try and see. They make them so they should work! I'm not sure if you would get lip sync errors as both signals (hdmi and optical) travel at the speed of light.
    There are audio extractors from hdmi:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewHD-Premium-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00AHS8LD8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1
    is one I found. There are others and I have no idea what they are like. At least Amazon are good with returns!
    There are ways round lip sync issues - most amps these days have an adjustment but this only adds a delay to the sound so if the sound is already delayed that won't help.
    A solution may be to keep the recordings on a hard disk and play them back using the latest wdtv live streamer - this has + and - lip sync correction up to 2 seconds.
    Otherwise you can run the recordings through software such as tsmuxer which can move the sound forwards and backwards as you like until you find the perfect setting.