Options

Putin formally requests Parliament for Russian military intervention in Ukraine

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Russian President Vladimir Putin has asked the upper house of parliament to approve sending armed forces to Ukraine’s Crimea region, the Kremlin said in a statement on Saturday.

“In connection with the extraordinary situation in Ukraine, the threat to the lives of citizens of the Russian Federation, our compatriots, and the personnel of the armed forces of the Russian Federation on Ukrainian territory (in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea) ... I submit a proposal on using the armed forces of the Russian Federation on the territory of Ukraine until the normalisation of the socio-political situation in the that country,” the statement said.

Reuters
2.13 pm GMT

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it's going to be war!
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    So it's going to be war!

Any nuclear shelters in Preston then??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    So it's going to be war!

Drop British paratroopers into Crimea as per 1994 treaty.:o
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    How Obama deals with this will help define his presidency.

Poor Baroness Ashton is woefully out of her depth.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh it's like the Cold War all over again. Making me feel all young again.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to dig out my Frankie Goes To Hollywood cassettes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"When two tribes go to war......"
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Crimea was part of Russia until 1954 and had been for several centuries - and was only moved to the Ukraine region by Russia.

Simples - give Russian land back to Russia! Problem solved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Crimea was part of Russia until 1954 and had been for several centuries - and was only moved to the Ukraine region by Russia.

Simples - give Russian land back to Russia! Problem solved.

Hmmmm....it has been approved and it is not just for the Crimea either.
    --
    The federation council 89-0 has now approved Putin’s request to use armed force in Ukraine.
    The upper house of the Russian parliament unanimously approved President Putin’s request to use armed forces in defence of Russians and Russian interests, anywhere in the territory of Ukraine.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why I am glad the EU has piddly military forces (that's not the say the nation state members don't have sufficiently strong forces).

If they did we could be seeing a repeat of 1914: various interest groups pursuing mobilisation. In one case, the aggressor and in another, the countries upholding an honour based on ideals.

Whether it's imperial nations in 1914 or supranational groups in 2014 there is always a risk (with powerful militaries) of leaders sending their men to fight each other.
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or watch Threads, it's on youtube. It's a drama made in the 80's about Sheffield at the outbreak of nuclear war. Close the curtains and settle down in the evening type TV, I defy anyone to watch it and not feel affected, brilliant drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm....it has been approved and it is not just for the Crimea either.
    --
    The federation council 89-0 has now approved Putin’s request to use armed force in Ukraine.
    The upper house of the Russian parliament unanimously approved President Putin’s request to use armed forces in defence of Russians and Russian interests, anywhere in the territory of Ukraine.

Link. Quite compelling watching seeing events like this unfold in the age of instant news.

Well, that and Soccer Saturday...:D. COYH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or watch Threads, it's on youtube. It's a drama made in the 80's about Sheffield at the outbreak of nuclear war. Close the curtains and settle down in the evening type TV, I defy anyone to watch it and not feel affected, brilliant drama.

I remember watching it at the time, scared the bejesus out of me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an interesting development, now it looks very likely he will do what he did in Eastern and Southern Ukraine what he did in Crimea.

Also I have already got a "Will Russia Invade Ukraine?" thread going, so would you all of mind moving the dicussion to that thread as I will repost this...
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Time to send in Baroness Ashton in on a tank draped in the EU flag?;-)
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    This is escalating very quickly, my fear is that we won't do anything to support Ukraine and the vast majority who want ties with the west. We will leave Russia to walk all over them. There were valid reasons for not attacking Syria however in this instance I feel the EU specifically and its leading military should be stepping up to defend Ukranian sovereignty. Its starting in a part of Europe where the last two world wars began....not being a doomsayer but I have a feeling this is going to drag in further parties.

The US says there will be a cost, Obama doesn't even have the balls to stand up for American interests, this will be something left to the British and France I would think. However whether either would get involved remains to be seen.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    How Obama deals with this will help define his presidency.

Poor Baroness Ashton is woefully out of her depth.

And yet another American gets hit with the Curse of the 2nd term. Now he has to steer the country away from WW3.

Should be fun to watch.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more Russian speaking bits he annexes the more the rest of the country the EU gets, including Kiev. A Euroasian union without Kiev- that will really hurt.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We haven't got an army to do anything anymore and I doubt there is any enthusiasm for a war either
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    The more Russian speaking bits he annexes the more the rest of the country the EU gets, including Kiev. A Euroasian union without Kiev- that will really hurt.

I heard an interesting commentator on the radio a few days back saying that splitting Ukraine between the Russian and Ukranian speaking areas could be pretty disastrous for the Ukranian sector of the country, as nearly all the manufacturing and mining is found in the east - a Ukraine without the Russian speaking bits is not at all financially viable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    This is escalating very quickly, my fear is that we won't do anything to support Ukraine and the vast majority who want ties with the west. We will leave Russia to walk all over them. There were valid reasons for not attacking Syria however in this instance I feel the EU specifically and its leading military should be stepping up to defend Ukranian sovereignty. Its starting in a part of Europe where the last two world wars began....not being a doomsayer but I have a feeling this is going to drag in further parties.

The US says there will be a cost, Obama doesn't even have the balls to stand up for American interests, this will be something left to the British and France I would think. However whether either would get involved remains to be seen.

Acutally, as long as Westenr Ukraine remains off limits, there is nothing wrong in Putin taking the Russian speaking pasts, besides there are very storrong reasons why we should invade Syria...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard an interesting commentator on the radio a few days back saying that splitting Ukraine between the Russian and Ukranian speaking areas could be pretty disastrous for the Ukranian sector of the country, as nearly all the manufacturing and mining is found in the east - a Ukraine without the Russian speaking bits is not at all financially viable.

Ukraine itself is not financial viable anyway, besides you cannot keep the country together unless you avoid having strong ties with either Russia or the EU, which is not economically posibble...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Estonia and Lithuania can survive and do quite well on their own so eventually will central and western Ukraine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the Russian oligarchs are banned from the UK through sanctions on Russia I will look forward to what happens.
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    Acutally, as long as Westenr Ukraine remains off limits, there is nothing wrong in Putin taking the Russian speaking pasts, besides there are very storrong reasons why we should invade Syria...

Of course there is something wrong with Putin taking the Russian speaking parts of Ukraine. Rightly or wrongly, Crimea is part of Ukraine. You can't just invade a sovereign country to take some land. If they want it, and the Crimean people want to belong to Russia, they should go through the proper channels. The Crimean parliament should take a vote and present the result to the Ukrainian government, and Russia should declare that they want Crimea.

The treaty we have with the USA and Ukraine means that, by rights, we should be sending troops over there to defend Ukraine. It's a very dangerous situation because any Western force sent over there will surely lose against the Russian military who have many more resources in the area. The only way an intervention by the UK and USA could work is if we are prepared for a full on war.

I don't want to even try to predict what's going to happen.