Showbiz wigs: Wogan, Forsythe, Blackburn......

Comments

• MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a nasty childish thread this is .:(
    I cant believe there are 21 pages of people making fun of other people.
    It can be as traumatic for men as it is for women to lose their hair and some men do not suit the bald look.
    It may be very hard for some men to come to terms with losing their hair and poking fun is horrible.
    And as far as i can see there are assumptions made on here re who is wearing a wig with no real evidence whatsoever!
    Not that it matters anyway...
    People should stop hiding behind "it's funny" and grow up and think about how they would feel to be poked "fun" at....

I wouldnt normally comment on a thread like this but it comes across as so nasty I felt I had to say something. :(
  • Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merity wrote: »
    It can be as traumatic for men as it is for women to lose their hair and some men do not suit the bald look.
    It may be very hard for some men to come to terms with losing their hair and poking fun is horrible.
    And as far as i can see there are assumptions made on here re who is wearing a wig with no real evidence whatsoever!
    People should stop hiding behind "it's funny" and grow up and think about how they would feel to be poked "fun" at....

I wouldnt normally comment on a thread like this but it comes across as so nasty I felt I had to say something. :(

Yet you took time to trawl through 21 pages of posts....

If you didn't like what you were reading after page 1, why bother going on? :confused:
  • MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you didn't like what you were reading after page 1, why bother going on? :confused:

Throwing out comments like that doesnt excuse it or make it right. I expected no better though. I read through hoping to find people who felt the same as me and there were one or two I was happy to see - who tried to speak out.

Anyway I've said what I think -I wont be back to read anymore of the nastiness - that's for sure.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slaps Merity's head - Benny Hill style!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Throwing out comments like that doesnt excuse it or make it right. I expected no better though. I read through hoping to find people who felt the same as me and there were one or two I was happy to see - who tried to speak out.

Anyway I've said what I think -I wont be back to read anymore of the nastiness - that's for sure.

Each to his own, and if it's within the rules why not talk about it?

Oh, and don't let the door hit you on the a**e on the way out. ;):D
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's all to do with that faux outrage which we do so well in this country. A bit like when a celeb says something a bit naughty, 4 people will complain, the tabloids then pick up on it and then within a few days you've got 10,000 people who have never heard the comment complaining. :sleep:

Anyway, if someone is wearing a dodgy wig they're fair game for poking fun at in my book. They should grow up, stop being vain and admit they're going bald. It's no big deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all to do with that faux outrage which we do so well in this country. A bit like when a celeb says something a bit naughty, 4 people will complain, the tabloids then pick up on it and then within a few days you've got 10,000 people who have never heard the comment complaining. :sleep:

Anyway, if someone is wearing a dodgy wig they're fair game for poking fun at in my book. They should grow up, stop being vain and admit they're going bald. It's no big deal.

Absolutely. :)

In the Russell Brand thread the faux outrage still continuing about Sachsgate five years on is unbelievable.
  • Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It can be a big deal and I appreciate that some men get very distressed about hair loss. I'm glad I've still (just about) got all mine.

But if it happens, it happens, and it has to be dealt with.... better to just accept it, it seems to me. Hair transplant science is imperfect, at best, and wigs are, by their very nature, ridiculous. It's not very nice, but I think they are fair game for poking fun at.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course men can be sensitive about hair loss. But if it happens, it happens. Speaking as a woman who likes men (plus my boyfriend has some hair, but a fairly hefty bald patch), I much prefer men who just accept their baldness. If a bloke is fake about his hair, it shows he's a bit vain, in my opinion.

Blokes wearing dodgy wigs look very silly. Blokes who let the aging process happen look rather sexy.
    ;)
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As everyone has said, Cliff Richard's 'hair' looked very dodgy on the One Show. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhPquU2RSG4

Strange hairstyle for a man of 73. :eek:
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course men can be sensitive about hair loss. But if it happens, it happens. Speaking as a woman who likes men (plus my boyfriend has some hair, but a fairly hefty bald patch), I much prefer men who just accept their baldness. If a bloke is fake about his hair, it shows he's a bit vain, in my opinion.

Blokes wearing dodgy wigs look very silly. Blokes who let the aging process happen look rather sexy.
    ;)

I totally agree. I find bald or shaved heads very attractive.
  • Gail forceGail force Posts: 55
    Forum Member

Grow up yourself. Doubt very much the blokes we are ''as you say pocking fun at read this forum. If you go into showbusiness then you put yourself in the shop window. Simples. Saw a few pictures of david beckham a couple of years ago and he was clearly thinning on top. The bloke has definatly had some sort of weaving done to his barnet.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be very hard for some men to come to terms with losing their hair and poking fun is horrible...snip
    (

Stop reading and go away then!
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    On 'Pointless' Alexander Armstrong's hair suddenly seems to have sprouted into a luxurious thatch. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On 'Pointless' Alexander Armstrong's hair suddenly seems to have sprouted into a luxurious thatch. :D

I noticed that too.

Your screen name's very appropriate for this thread! ;):D
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I noticed that too.

Your screen name's very appropriate for this thread! ;):D

I did post MUCH earlier in this thread (2006?) and thought I should make a re-appearance - unlike the dreaded 'chrome domes' under the toupees! :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As everyone has said, Cliff Richard's 'hair' looked very dodgy on the One Show. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhPquU2RSG4

Strange hairstyle for a man of 73. :eek:

I'm hazarding a guess that's a straightforward wig.....the way the hair sticks out at the back away from the nape of his neck tends to give the game away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I'm hazarding a guess that's a straightforward wig.....the way the hair sticks out at the back away from the nape of his neck tends to give the game away.

That's one of the thing that gets me - surely he can afford the finest of wigs and has assistants to make sure he looks his best before stepping in front of the cameras? Or is he one of those stars who doesn't like being told the truth?
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    David Letterman
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with a man wearing a wig, as someone said some men just don't suit being bald, the problem I have is the quality.

Many movie stars wear wigs in films and we can't even tell they are wigs, now these fellows aren't short of a bob or two, why not go and get one of these wigs, Sean Connery wears wigs in some of his films and they look like his own hair.

I am guessing that these men have worn the same styled wig since the seventies and haven't changed it, they need to upgrade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    It can be a big deal and I appreciate that some men get very distressed about hair loss. I'm glad I've still (just about) got all mine.

But if it happens, it happens, and it has to be dealt with.... better to just accept it, it seems to me. Hair transplant science is imperfect, at best, and wigs are, by their very nature, ridiculous. It's not very nice, but I think they are fair game for poking fun at.

As a 34 year old girl who's hair started falling out in her twenties I would be curious what you don't find ridiculous. Really, I'm agog, some of us don't have much choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funforme wrote: »
    As a 34 year old girl who's hair started falling out in her twenties I would be curious what you don't find ridiculous. Really, I'm agog, some of us don't have much choice.

I have a friend who has total body alopecia. She has no eyelashes, eyebrows, body or head hair. She wears a wig and finds it hilarious. The actual principle of a wig is funny if you think about it, but different strokes I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funforme wrote: »

I'm sorry, but you can't have read very much of this thread if you're singling out my post for comment.

When I said "wigs are, by their very nature, ridiculous" I was referring to wigs on men - which, to be honest, I thought was what this thread was entirely about.

Women's relationship with their hair is, for many reasons, entirely different from men's, without even considering the question of hair loss. But talking specifically about hair loss, a very large proportion of men suffer from it to some degree, a very small proportion of women do (except perhaps in very old age). For men, it's an everyday thing, for women it certainly isn't.

It must be awful for you or any woman to suffer from alopecia or any form of hair loss, whatever the reason. And - as I said in earlier posts - I appreciate that hair loss is upsetting for many men too. But for men it is very much a "fact of life" and I stick to my opinion that it's ridiculous for them to try to cover it up with a wig. There really is no point.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

I bet you have!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the people complaining about the "nastiness" of this thread are rather missing the point.

I don't think anyone has made fun of men being, or going, bald (although I'm not going to re-read 20 pages of posts to confirm that).

We are making fun of men who try to conceal said baldness by wearing silly rugs. Which is something else entirely.