Options

Best site to book train tickets

mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a few train tickets that I need to book, which is the best site to book from to get the lowest price?

Comments

• Options
    harjamharjam Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I usually use trainline.co.uk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redspottedhanky for me. i find whenever i'm booking they're the same price over all the websites, but redspottedhanky deliver first class post for free, so no messing about at the station. (they're also on quidco the last time i used them, if you're into that)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    redspottedhanky for me. i find whenever i'm booking they're the same price over all the websites, but redspottedhanky deliver first class post for free, so no messing about at the station. (they're also on quidco the last time i used them, if you're into that)

Thanks!

Got a 7 pounds saving on one fare already!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One other thing is that it asks you to select a time to get the fare and then later on says:

Valid on off-peak services by the route and Train Operator shown. Return journey must be made the same day.

Does that mean that we have total flexibilty with the time we come back?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i imagine it varies with the operator but in my experience it asks you to make a choice of time in order to make the purchase, but then you aren't tied to using that specific train. When you actually get the tickets the outward ticket usually states the time and seat numbers (if selected) but the return one just says return, and what the conditions are. so you might need to check out what trains its valid on before you travel.
  • Options
    hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    milmol wrote: »

Absolutely agree and if you have any Tesco points you can multiply their value on redspottedhanky and end up with tickets for next to nothing
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One other thing is that it asks you to select a time to get the fare and then later on says:

Valid on off-peak services by the route and Train Operator shown. Return journey must be made the same day.

Does that mean that we have total flexibilty with the time we come back?

No. It means you must return on the same day on off peak services, so you have to check with the train operator you'll be using to see whether or not they have a peak-time afternoon service. I think most regional operators only have a peak-time in the morning, but depending on where it is you're coming back from, it might be best to check. Even if they do have an afternoon peak-time, it'll be off-peak again around 6pm so if you're returning after that time, it should be fine.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    If you use the Trainline and find what you want then book your trains via the Train Company website itself (such as VirginTrains.co.uk) as theTrainLine charge £1 booking fee I believe