Options

Calgary: Would you like this weather?

mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?StationID=50430&Month=9&Day=9&Year=2014&timeframe=2

7th Sept: 25.8C - Sunny
8th Sept: SNOW!! 11.8 cm
9th Sept: 2.2C

First could you deal with snow in the first part of September?
Could you go from a warm summer day to a heavy snow storm the next day?

Nightmare:o

Comments

• Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE Calgary's weather! I'm in Toronto at the moment and I wish it would snow.

I wouldn't like the power outages, but I want the snow!
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate cold winters so I don't like it, average lows of -13°C in December and January are not pleasant for me. The summer daytime temperatures are nice, 23°C in July is similar London but lows of 8°C overnight? Nah. There are worse climates (like the wilderness of Siberia) but it's not a climate I'd choose.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Vancouver now and it's high 20s until next week. I'm loving it; never experienced a summer like it. Plus, come December it'll just rain and rain and rain until June so I have to make the most of it.

Wouldn't mind getting some snow like the rest of Canada mind. Might have to take a trip to Calgary this fall.
  • Options
    nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember getting snow the last week of August when I lived in Calgary.

Snow in the third week of May isn't unknown in Edmonton..

When I was a child it was pretty common for it to rain in Vancouver from the end of October until the middle of April. I remember 3 feet of snow falling in Vancouver in the late 60s and again in the late 70s early 80s.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I could cope with the 8th and 9th weather, the 7th though? No thanks!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?StationID=50430&Month=9&Day=9&Year=2014&timeframe=2

7th Sept: 25.8C - Sunny
    8th Sept: SNOW!! 11.8 cm
    9th Sept: 2.2C

First could you deal with snow in the first part of September?
    Could you go from a warm summer day to a heavy snow storm the next day?

Nightmare:o

It's the kind of day on day temperature differential which we would almost never experience in the UK, but can occur on a large landmass. Must be a shock to the system, You have my sympathies.

I say "almost" never. Probably the closest we got to it was end of March beginning of April 1968, but that was over 4/5 days. That could never happen in September because of the surrounding sea warmth.
    March 1968. There was widespread snow in Scotland on the 17th, with up to 15cm. Then all change as there was a notable warm spell at the end of the month. The equal record maximum temperature for March, 25.0C, was reached on the 29th at Cromer and Santon Downham (Thetford) in Norfolk, and 24.9C was recorded at East Dereham (Norfolk). Indeed 25.6C was recorded at Mepal (Cambridgeshire) that day, although there is some question about the reliability of this figure. The high temperatures resulted mainly from a warm southerly airflow. Unlike the heatwave of three years earlier, this one stayed mild at night. (Four days later it was snowing in London!). The record daily rainfall for the month of 164.3 mm was set at Glen Etive on the 26th.

April 1968. A cold first half. There was a notable cold snap following notable warm spell at end of March: 25.0C in Cromer, Norfolk on 29 March, but -10.6C at Achnagiochan (Strathspey) on the morning of the 2nd; there was a light covering of snow across east England, with temperatures near freezing, accompanied by a strong north wind. A minimum of -9.4C was recorded near Corby, Northants., on the 4th. There was widespread light snow, and a blizzard in Scotland on the 2nd. The cold air was introduced by a cold front moving south on the 2nd; the temperature fell 10C in 3 hours in the south on the 2nd. Also on the 21st, the Great Coventry Tornado, unusually occurring on a warm, calm day.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Unlike Vancouver, Calgary is one of the dullest cities I've ever been to.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lived in Calgary for over 30 years, and yes, the weather is something that often made headlines. Snowstorms in May, heat-waves in January, you name it. :D

As with many parts of Canada, snow in September is not unusual, and pretty well expected before Halloween. Growing up, most kids had to contemplate wearing a snowsuit under their costume when going out to trick-or-treat, so you didn't see very many of the 'slutty' costumes that are so rampant now, unless slutty marshmallow man is your thing.

You just get used to the weather and its unpredictability, you plan for everything if you go traveling. The cold weather seems unfathomable to people who haven't experienced it. Quite common in the winter to get minus 30C for weeks on end (many northern US states get this as well), that kind of cold would put the UK in complete and utter chaos. :o Over there you just bundle up and get on with it, pack the kids off to school in their full-regalia of snow-pants, parka, boots, toque, scarf, and mitts. My daughter was 8 when we came to the UK and after family and friends, it was the winter snow she missed the most. We did get a few sprinkles of snow here (Blackpool) but nothing like we got back in Calgary.
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad lives in Calgary, as a Brit he often finds the weather random, his wife who has always lived there (apart from when she lived in England) loves it because its what she is used to.

I have visited in most seasons and I love the winter there, in saying that I'm only there for 2 weeks at a time, I might not like it as much if I spent a whole winter there. My dads wife found our winters colder because it was so damp, her mum used to send thermals over for her to wear here, she never wears them at home. She used to find it funny how here the lightest snow fall would cause chaos. One year coming home my flight was delayed by 7hrs because of the weather conditions here, I flew out of Calgary in a blizzard the weather there was that bad that they didn't put luggage on the plane to keep the weight down.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Last time we went it was around this time of year, as the TVs were showing the anniversary of 9/11 on the news. It was sunny and hot in Kamloops and Kelowna, meaning we could swim in the pools outside the motels, and by the time we had got over to Banff and Calgary a few days later, the temperature had really dropped. It was freezing and we were in fleeces and beanie hats.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cousins live in Sakatchewan, and they seem to have endless winters with several feet of snow. I couldn't stand that which is why I have never visited her.