Options

The lotto decline - do you still play?

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They relaunched the game and doubled the cost and gave you some crap raffle numbers to check. Also promised jackpots would be higher back to when it first started around 8 million. Yeh ok, were back to 4 and 2 million on a saturday and wednesday! Checking the raffle does my head in, its really crap, a load of mixed up numbers and colours with no flow. Why dont they follow sequence like the euromillions. Makes it hard to check if you buy so many line scrolling up and down looking. Ive stopped playing now (first week since it started i havent put any money on this saturday gone) as fed up of it and have decided im only going to play when its a triple rollover.
Sales look in decline, i wonder how long it will be until camelot do something to try to revive it again.

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Havn't played for about 2 years now never plan to again.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Haven't had a win on the National Lottery since they put the price up. I used to be quite lucky and had a lot of £10 wins before.
    I still have lots of regular small -wins (£20 on Friday) on the Euromillions, in fact it's been paying for itself for the past few weeks. I'm just practicing for the big one :)
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't played in many a year, it seems like a waste of time with all the rollovers, etc. I don't believe there should be rollovers, there should be an opportunity to win the top prize every week as people have paid for that chance.

If I were to start doing a lottery again it'd more than likely be the Health Lottery as it's obviously only £1. Sure it doesn't have the humungous prizes, but who really needs that much. Heck, I'd be happy with a £20 win on a scratchcard, except I don't want to pay for one :D

I save myself the £52 (or £104) a year not doing it, that's more than I didn't win on the scratchcard I didn't buy :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I play euromillions, but only because the jackpot is bigger, therefore my odds of winning are even less! Go logic!

I should play the lotto because I know two separate people who have won the jackpot. I think to myself "if these idiots can win, so can this idiot".
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What can camelot do to revive sales figures? I was a lottery sales droid for years and the biggest problem is that people feel like they don't win and with a 1 in 14 million (roughly) chance will mean that after a while people will cut down their spending on it as its not returning any money which means the pot grows smaller and the cycle repeats until its not worth running the lottery when the operational costs become more than the profit made which is probably soon
  • Options
    sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Only play when there is a big jackpot and even then I only buy 2-3 lines at a time. £2 a line is just too expensive to play continuously. Been playing last week though for the different draws for lotto and Euro as it was a big-ish jackpot. Still didn't win a thing. Very disheartening when you can't even win the minimum and you just lose faith and stop playing.
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they need to get rid of the crap raffle for a start. Its not worth the extra pound
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is done automatically through the internet,it's just an old work syndicate thing that I left going after the syndicate broke up.
    Had a £25 win recently for 3 numbers don't know when it changed from the old £10 prize.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I play it very very rarely , and I used to play weds and sat.
    If they go back to the good old traditional lotto of a pound 6 numbers no raffle then I will play again.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not since it went up to £2.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Not played since the end of last year.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I think it is a combination of the 100% price rise. If the price of tickets had risen incrementally over the almost 20 years that it had been £1 for then I don't think people would have noticed so much. The sudden 100% increase made a lot of people stop.

Also I think more people are wise to the statistics.

The odds are so stacked against you winning anything at all it is riduclous.
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who won 1.2 million so I think my chances are trashed now; lightning doesn't strike twice, etc. Still play in the wafer-thin hope I might win a few hundred though. I despise the raffle numbers - utter bollox.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sky0000547 wrote: »
    Only play when there is a big jackpot and even then I only buy 2-3 lines at a time. £2 a line is just too expensive to play continuously. Been playing last week though for the different draws for lotto and Euro as it was a big-ish jackpot. Still didn't win a thing. Very disheartening when you can't even win the minimum and you just lose faith and stop playing.

That makes no sense. Firstly is 2 to 4 million not enough? Secondly you are more likely to have to split the big prize.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very rarely since it went up to £2 and even then I only do it online.

Which got me thinking, has their ever been a jackpot winner who won by playing online?
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I know someone who won 1.2 million so I think my chances are trashed now; lightning doesn't strike twice, etc. Still play in the wafer-thin hope I might win a few hundred though. I despise the raffle numbers - utter bollox.

The whole thing is rubbish now. I am sure one week I looked at the prize break down 4 numbers paid less than 3 numbers. Says it all really.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    That makes no sense. Firstly is 2 to 4 million not enough? Secondly you are more likely to have to split the big prize.

I always laugh when people say 'I'll have to get a ticket - it's a big rollover tonight...'

Baffling thought process at work...:D
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped the main lotto when the price went up, I did change over to the thunderball a few months back.

I am now doing the health lottery, only the 50p one mind you, once a week
    I will be stopping the Thunderball, when my tenner ones out.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    I always laugh when people say 'I'll have to get a ticket - it's a big rollover tonight...'

Baffling thought process at work...:D

I'm guessing it's how the very greedy and uneducated think. Bizarre.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem was that Camelot took the Lotto away from being a mostly social thing to being a pure gambling thing, and that's off-putting for most people.

They gradually made it more and more complex and involved, just the sort of thing that gamblers love but the general public hate.Then they put the price up.

Only gamblers would stick around.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    The Euromillions is in a rut as well as it went twice a week and now doesn't go up each roll-over nearly as much as it used to. It now creeps up rather that quickly becoming massive as it once did.

Add to that the exchange rate and the usual starting figure of 11m is now down to 10m.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Played the lottery continuously with the same 6-lines since the day it started in November 1994.

I never watch the draw on TV and I never check the numbers; I pay by direct-debit and get an email if I win. I don’t get an email if I lose.

It’s not a very ‘involving’ experience these days.:cry:

However, the law of averages says it’s bound to pay-out the Jackpot one day..................within the next 135,000 years or so;...............the future’s bright! :)
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only tend to play the Euromillions of there's a big draw. Lotto ive personally not done in tears. To be honest I never did it that much before the hike in price. My boyfriend has done Lotto a couple of times recently.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    The lottery seems to be a low class thing now, even though its gone up in price, lots of middle class people don't play, lots of upper working class people don't play either.

I think when it started this was not the case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it went up to £2 I halved the number of lines.

I do it regularly every week, Euro, Lotto and Thunderball - the odds are lower and 500k would be nice.

It's hard to imagine what you would feel like if you won a multiple rollover! :o