Options

Mrs Brown's Boys S3 Discussion

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every Rising Damp episode was the same, lecherous old perv tries to get off with plain looking woman while hating the long haired and black students he happily takes money from.

Utter rubbish.

Horses for courses where comedy is concerned

And this [RD] was regarded as ITV's best sitcom. I found it repetitious as well and Rossiter spoke his lines so fast it was a job catching it all. I preferred LR in Reginald Perrin where he slowed down a bit. I'm glad Fr Quinn is back, as he was a hoot in the first series final episode about the miraculous talking sacred heart picture.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    The minority that hate the show seem intent on letting everyone know again and again and again that they hate it just in case we didnt get their hatred for it the first time. :rolleyes:;)
    My whole family,young and old, absolutely love the show and despite the coarseness and bawdy humour it is a really warm hearted show with genuinely likeable characters which is one of the reasons it attracts such a large following. Delighted to hear that there will be two more Christmas Specials this year too. :D

You make some very good points Arty about the characters being likeable and the show having a real warmth to it......I've no doubt whatsoever this is a large part of it's success.

Perhaps a lot of sitcoms that failed in recent times had a cold and sterile feel to them and characters and storylines you couldn't really connect with.....MBB is certainly the complete antithesis of the usual safe and cosy English middle class sitcom.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how people think that's all Rising Damp was if you had watched tonight you would have seen Frances De La Tour had left the show so this idea that's all that happened is complete rubbish.

In later series Richard Beckinsale left so it always allowed new characters to appear and keep it fresh.

Yesterday's episode was about a conman conning Rigsby today was about Rigsby being spooked by reports of a ghost.
  • Options
    madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, If it doesn't float ya boat, thats too bad..As for the rest of us..:D especially at Rory's..'I knew it!' 'I was probably born into some rich familly and you bastards stole me.'..:D
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    I'd rather Ireland had gone through another 10 blistering recessions than unleashed this tripe on the world.
    Ireland would love you for that. You might as well chuck a few potato famines in while you're at it.
    trevgo wrote: »
    Ha! Bless you!

Popularity is absolutely no measure of quality. The Sun has comfortably the largest circulation any newspaper, yet is anyone going to try to persuade me it's a quality publication?

It's clear that many people seem to relish corny old gags and a hackneyed old format (panning out to the audience - how groundbreaking!). Fine. I will not budge from my view that it's a lazy, trite piece of tack. The Christmas episode was excruciating.

It's easier to write a show that nobody watches than one that is successful. It's a po faced attitude when people say just because something has lots of viewers is no mark of quality. Neither is something that has less people watching than a town hall meeting. People that hate it make the most noise but the ratings are there, the industry awards are there, the awards voted for by the general public are there.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about this comedy phenomenon. NOTHING! :D

And if you come into a fan thread about a programme and say how much you hate it you will be challenged. We can't change your opinion and you can't change the opinion of the people that watch it or vote for it no more than King Canute could change the tide.
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion about MBB. I don't like Miranda, but I don't complain about it because it won't change its popularity or lead to it being cancelled.

What would Mrs Brown say to anyone who dislikes the show? "That's nice.....". :D
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    The minority that hate the show seem intent on letting everyone know again and again and again that they hate it just in case we didnt get their hatred for it the first time. :rolleyes:;)................
    cylon6 wrote: »
    ..........And if you come into a fan thread about a programme and say how much you hate it you will be challenged.............

Why should you be challenged? Everyone's entitled to express their opinions, though obviously it's different if they make an incorrect statement about a show.

On the other hand, I don't understand why someone, having expressed an opinion, keeps reposting the same opinion in slightly different words.
  • Options
    sonofdavidsonofdavid Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    guys if you Dont like it its ok but stop moaning about it , if i dont like a show i dont try ruin it for others its abit sad tbh..

You're right. I find it's popularity quite puzzling but appreciate that a lot of folk really like it. Ce'st la vie,
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    baldyman26 wrote: »
    MBB is funny in a stupid way, It works because it knows it's funny in a stupid way, millions watch it because they think it's funny. The world today is to up itself, this program allows the daft humour to come back out, without offending anybody and also puts a smile on a lot of peoples faces, so the BBC has done something right in putting a comedy on our screens that makes a lot of people laugh.. Everybody has an opinion, however if it really bothers you that much, watch something else..

Would it be as funny if all the swearing (the F word) was taken out of it as I've noticed that when the audience mainly laughs?
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland would love you for that. You might as well chuck a few potato famines in while you're at it.

Thanks. Being Irish myself I think I can get away with it.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Would it be as funny if all the swearing (the F word) was taken out of it as I've noticed that when the audience mainly laughs?

Inconsistent swearing though, and that's annoying, it should be either the f-word with a U or an E, not both, they should make their minds up :D

(Actually I think this is due to only being allowed under broadcasting rules to say it with a U so many times per half-hour)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not so sure about that one : many of the most memorable scenes from the three series such as Agnes being electrocuted by a stun gun, or having a bikini wax or her orgasmic scene the other evening had no swearing at all
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Granny, nearly 80 years old, this programme is my secret pleasure - silly grin pasted on my face from start to finish.:D
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS I should add that I can only watch the programme when my husband is elsewhere because he HATES it. Thats the reason it is my 'secret pleasure'. Sounds naughty doesn't it!
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think swearing is used to comedic end in the show and not gratuitously. I suspect that without it the show wouldn't be quite so funny and viewing figures would fall.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    People should realise that most of the time you think you hear the F bomb, Agnes is actually saying 'bucking'. Not all of the time, granted, but most of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Why should you be challenged? Everyone's entitled to express their opinions, though obviously it's different if they make an incorrect statement about a show.

On the other hand, I don't understand why someone, having expressed an opinion, keeps reposting the same opinion in slightly different words.

Because it's what happens. There will be a constant back and forth when people disagree. I just don't see the point of coming onto a thread that's mainly for fans of a programme and saying how bad that show is.

They'll say it is, fans say it isn't and back and forth it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think swearing is used to comedic end in the show and not gratuitously. I suspect that without it the show wouldn't be quite so funny and viewing figures would fall.

But that's part of Agnes' appeal. She's a caustic and foul mouthed matriarch and she's the star of the show....it's her very bluntness and ability to shock that has people tuning in in droves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    Thanks. Being Irish myself I think I can get away with it.

I sometimes think Brendan is saying the same thing. :D
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MBB is funny because it's made by a team that understands comedy, the same is true of Miranda. Both have genuine audience laughter, something very rare indeed. I have sat for hours in studio galleries hearing directors say things like "Sorry darlings, that's not the right line, can we just pull up and do it again". The audience soon get bored and the next classic line is "Why aren't they laughing". The audiences" failure" is fixed in post production by overdubbing a bucketful of laughter, always at too high a level, recorded during the warm up mans stint.
    Agnes and the vibrating phone had me in stitches, sorry if I'm not sophisticated enough for some of you but according to the consolidated audience figures in Broadcast Magazine, there are nearly 10 million of us out there.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

It's easier to write a show that nobody watches than one that is successful. It's a po faced attitude when people say just because something has lots of viewers is no mark of quality. Neither is something that has less people watching than a town hall meeting. People that hate it make the most noise but the ratings are there, the industry awards are there, the awards voted for by the general public are there.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about this comedy phenomenon. NOTHING! :D

And if you come into a fan thread about a programme and say how much you hate it you will be challenged. We can't change your opinion and you can't change the opinion of the people that watch it or vote for it no more than King Canute could change the tide.
    Because it's what happens. There will be a constant back and forth when people disagree. I just don't see the point of coming onto a thread that's mainly for fans of a programme and saying how bad that show is.

They'll say it is, fans say it isn't and back and forth it goes.

When you say "fan thread" as in the first quoted post, and "a thread that's mainly for fans of a programme" in the second, are you referring to this thread? If you are, then I must take you to task.

This is a discussion thread and the title alone means that the programme is up for discussion, it's not an appreciation thread and all comments are fair game.

I love MBB but I understand that others don't share my opinion and I also understand they have a right to say so, just as I had a right to say how much I loathe Miranda on the Miranda discussion thread. It didn't go down well but so what? I was entitled to have my say just as others are on the subject of Mrs Brown's Boys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    When you say "fan thread" as in the first quoted post, and "a thread that's mainly for fans of a programme" in the second, are you referring to this thread? If you are, then I must take you to task.

This is a discussion thread and the title alone means that the programme is up for discussion, it's not an appreciation thread and all comments are fair game.

I love MBB but I understand that others don't share my opinion and I also understand they have a right to say so, just as I had a right to say how much I loathe Miranda on the Miranda discussion thread. It didn't go down well but so what? I was entitled to have my say just as others are on the subject of Mrs Brown's Boys.

Comedy is very subjective anyway. It's only natural that if a sitcom has a big fan base, that there will be plenty more people who hate the show (but that doesn't invalidate the show for one moment or mean that it is not funny).
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    The Christmas special was dire ---- this series is excellent.
    If I had watched the "eggie bread " Christmas special of the Royle Family BEFORE I had seen the weekly episodes of the show then I would have given the Royle Family a miss.
    That Christmas special was worse than dire.
    To each his/her own ---- I like the AWARD winning show that's all that matters to me .
    Regards
  • Options
    iluvjohnsargiluvjohnsarg Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved this series especially the valentine one.

The Xmas episodes were poor, but somehow brought in an 11M audience.

More of the current please.

WRT the swearing. I notice it's only ever Mrs B that swears and then it's feckin, buckin and the odd f"ckin word. I don't like swearing for swearing sake, but I find it works for her part and is not malicious.

Just my opinion. x
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............ I just don't see the point of coming onto a thread that's mainly for fans of a programme and saying how bad that show is..............

Whatever gives you that idea? It's a thread to discuss the programme, for those for or against it. Personally, I love it - though I wish it had less use of the "F" word.